What is an AV vote? :confused:
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
What is an AV vote? :confused:
Presumably he means a referendum on the 'alternative vote' system. There was a real life referendum on this in 2011 but the British public pretty clearly decided that they did not want to change voting system.

I'm not sure what this would achieve in TSR. Anyone is free to start a poll in the politics forum and the MHoC do their own thing as far as I can tell. Really it should be on the OP to explain why they think such a move is necessarily or the admins will, rightly, disregard the thread as junk.
Kaiju
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Referendum was garbage and wasn't even true AV. It was some middle-line *******isation that didn't appeal to people who didn't want AV and didn't appeal to people who did want AV.

Unfortunately that also means we'll likely never see another referendum. Oh well.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
No, I meant for the general election poll on the right of your screen.
democracyforum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manitude)
Presumably he means a referendum on the 'alternative vote' system. There was a real life referendum on this in 2011 but the British public pretty clearly decided that they did not want to change voting system.

I'm not sure what this would achieve in TSR. Anyone is free to start a poll in the politics forum and the MHoC do their own thing as far as I can tell. Really it should be on the OP to explain why they think such a move is necessarily or the admins will, rightly, disregard the thread as junk.
no, I menat for the general election vote on the right
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by democracyforum)
no, I meant for the general election vote on the right
That wouldn't be very useful though. I think the point of the TSR poll is to reflect reality - using AV would give different results to FPTP and wouldn't be a useful microcosm for the country or even just the student demographic.

As I said before, the onus would be on you to justify the use of AV instead of FPTP rather than simply claim that 'we need' it.
democracyforum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manitude)
That wouldn't be very useful though. I think the point of the TSR poll is to reflect reality - using AV would give different results to FPTP and wouldn't be a useful microcosm for the country or even just the student demographic.

As I said before, the onus would be on you to justify the use of AV instead of FPTP rather than simply claim that 'we need' it.
i made it

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3183563

could be better written though

edit : this thread will replace it.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post54113065

You can delete my poll if you want, it will only confuse people
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads