The Student Room Group

Anxiety and teacher problem.

I had this really strict teacher and she had a bit of a stutter. Due to my anxiety I struggle to concentrate. I turned the computer on in order to register. In the middle of the lecture instead of telling me to turn the computer off, she told me to get my "D" out. The whole class laughed and she didn't apoligize. This had made my anxiety worst. I know that if a male teacher said this to a female student they would be sacked. I have brushed it off my shoulder but the fact I have her for the whole of next year worries me. What do you think I should do?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you sure
Reply 2
Yes, the whole class witnessed it.
Reply 3
Are you at a UK university? We have lecturers rather than teachers, lectures rather than classes, and it would be impossible to have all teaching delivered by a single lecturer for an entire year.

All UK unis have a student counselling/support service. If you're in this country, start with them for advice on how to deal with the situation and maybe for info on where to get practical help with your stutter.

If you're outside the UK it will be very difficult to advise, as this is a culture-type problem which will vary between countries.
Original post by Annointed
I had this really strict teacher and she had a bit of a stutter. Due to my anxiety I struggle to concentrate. I turned the computer on in order to register. In the middle of the lecture instead of telling me to turn the computer off, she told me to get my "D" out. The whole class laughed and she didn't apoligize. This had made my anxiety worst. I know that if a male teacher said this to a female student they would be sacked. I have brushed it off my shoulder but the fact I have her for the whole of next year worries me. What do you think I should do?

Are you sure she didn't say this because of her stutter?

Actually, I doubt a male lecturer saying this to a female student would be sacked for a single offense- they probably wouldn't even be disciplined if they had a speech issue which caused them to say it.

If you are really upset by the remark, do you have a personal tutor you could discuss the incident with?

However, it sounds like your anxiety is causing you a lot of issues. What help are you currently getting for this? Have you spoken to disability services about what support is available? If you struggle in lectures due to anxiety, could you access support through DSA to help you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending