BBKaty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone

Does anyone know roughly how many words this section should be? I spoke to a girl today who had 1200 words JUST about the questions she asked on her surveymonkey survey- explaining why she asked them etc. That seems like a lot but perhaps she is right? i thought methodology was meant to be about 1500 overall? What sections should it be split into?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on your total word count, your department's guidelines and your supervisor. This is exactly the sort of question your supervisor needs to answer.

But I know one thing from experience - comparing your diss with other people's, is a path to madness. Everyone's research will be different. If your supervisor is happy, that's the best indicator. If they're not, they should be steering you in a different direction.
Looby14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BBKaty)
Hi everyone

Does anyone know roughly how many words this section should be? I spoke to a girl today who had 1200 words JUST about the questions she asked on her surveymonkey survey- explaining why she asked them etc. That seems like a lot but perhaps she is right? i thought methodology was meant to be about 1500 overall? What sections should it be split into?

I think it completely depends on the course, total word count, and what your supervisor advises. My dissertation is 12,000 and my supervisor advised me to do about 1,500 - 2,000 on methodology and I have pretty much completed it with almost 2,000 words. I agree that asking around is not ideal I would email your supervisor. In regards to sections it depends what research model you have chosen I have chosen the Gill and Johnson 2010 model which has seven steps and then I have split my methodology into these headings as advised by my supervisor. Hope this has helped! Could you please do me a favour and fill out my dissertation survey it only takes 30 seconds! Thanks in advance! https://docs.google.com/a/student.le...w1ggM/viewform
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BBKaty)
Hi everyone

It does depend a lot on your overall word count- however, your methodology does need to be comprehensive, so for some people this will be longer than others- for example, in my methodology, I wrote around 500 words just on the choice of research site. People who didn't do field based research wouldn't have to write so much, or, if lab based, justify their site choice at all.

I don't know if this will be helpful at all, as my research wasn't survey based but I had sections on:

Location/site choice.
Subject species.
Trapping methodology (humane traps before anyone worries!) (This included ethical considerations)
Habitat survey methodology.
Data analysis.

If I was doing a survey based study, I would probably have sections on:

Participants (who they were and how they were approached- this section could be broken down further if, for example, you approached people in person, and wanted to justify this further)
Survey design
Ethical considerations
Data analysis

I agree that this is something you need to discuss with your supervisor too, but if you can take them an outline, this may get your more detailed answers than just asking an open ended question of "How long should my methodology be and how should I lay it out".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.43%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
54.89%
No (73)
39.67%

Watched Threads