The Student Room Group

Optometry or Audiology - Then Medicine (graduate medical entry)

(think i posted this in the wrong thread, so am reposting)

Folks, after your opinion

Currently in Y12. Ideally wanted to apply for Medicine end of this year but not very confident. I don't have the raft of work experience and voluntary work i have seen some peeps to have. So really dont want to be a position where i get no offers then pick something for the sake of it

I am tho interested in either Optometry (Optom) and Audiology (BSc Health Science). 3 years yeah, then get into medicine via the graduate medical entry (4 years)

Anyone else thought of doing this?

Even after my 3 years with Optom or Audiology, i don't make it into Medicine, i would have a career

Thoughts?
Original post by Azzzman
(think i posted this in the wrong thread, so am reposting)

Folks, after your opinion

Currently in Y12. Ideally wanted to apply for Medicine end of this year but not very confident. I don't have the raft of work experience and voluntary work i have seen some peeps to have. So really dont want to be a position where i get no offers then pick something for the sake of it

I am tho interested in either Optometry (Optom) and Audiology (BSc Health Science). 3 years yeah, then get into medicine via the graduate medical entry (4 years)

Anyone else thought of doing this?

Even after my 3 years with Optom or Audiology, i don't make it into Medicine, i would have a career

Thoughts?

If you want to do medicine, do some work experience, get the grades and apply next year. Graduate entry is extremely competitive, expensive and time consuming.

That said, if you really don't want to apply for medicine now, either of those degrees would be fine. Do whichever you would enjoy more and be happy to have a career in.
Original post by ForestCat
If you want to do medicine, do some work experience, get the grades and apply next year. Graduate entry is extremely competitive, expensive and time consuming.

That said, if you really don't want to apply for medicine now, either of those degrees would be fine. Do whichever you would enjoy more and be happy to have a career in.

I'm doing exactly what youre doing.
dont really want to take a gap year because I might lose interest idk

Grad entry is competitive, but so is undergrad, and you can apply to either as a graduate,

what schools are you applying to for optometry/audiology ? there's hardly much choice

Quick Reply

Latest