girlinthechair
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm really considering taking an EPQ. I'd like to take the option of creating an artefact and writing the 1,000 word essay, and I'm going to focus on the topic of English Literature. Because I'm hoping to do English Lit and Creative Writing at degree level, I was thinking of either having a novella or poetry collection as the artefact, based on some research into English Literature.

Does this sound feasible? I'm also not sure what I'm going to research. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure which to choose/focus on.

1) Confessional Poetry (researching the confessional poets like Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton and then creating a poetry collection based on that research/my own take on confessional poetry)

2) How minorities are portrayed in modern YA Literature (researching the portrayal of LGBTQIA+ and disabled characters and characters of differing ethnicities and sexualities and then writing a novella portraying these minorities as they should be written about).

3) What are the tropes in modern YA Literature (researching the tropes and writing a novella that does not include them)

What do you think? I'm just applying for the EPQ now so I'm not tied down to any topic and they could change.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
izzyll
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by girlinthechair)
I'm really considering taking an EPQ. I'd like to take the option of creating an artefact and writing the 1,000 word essay, and I'm going to focus on the topic of English Literature. Because I'm hoping to do English Lit and Creative Writing at degree level, I was thinking of either having a novella or poetry collection as the artefact, based on some research into English Literature.

Does this sound feasible? I'm also not sure what I'm going to research. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure which to choose/focus on.

1) Confessional Poetry (researching the confessional poets like Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton and then creating a poetry collection based on that research/my own take on confessional poetry)

2) How minorities are portrayed in modern YA Literature (researching the portrayal of LGBTQIA+ and disabled characters and characters of differing ethnicities and sexualities and then writing a novella portraying these minorities as they should be written about).

3) What are the tropes in modern YA Literature (researching the tropes and writing a novella that does not include them)

What do you think? I'm just applying for the EPQ now so I'm not tied down to any topic and they could change.
This sounds a really good idea, they would work well with your chosen course. I like the idea of the first suggestion about confessional poetry, but since you're doing an artefact make sure that you have enough time. The poetry collection is a good idea, just make sure that you make it evident through your work that you have researched. You could do the by doing the majority of the collection in your own style but write some other pieces in the style of the poets you have researched. :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (404)
56.35%
I don't have everything I need (313)
43.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed