Is Manchester or Newcastle a better student city? Watch

shanelnv
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What are some of the noticeable differences and which one would you go with?

Thanks!
Borgia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shanelnv)

Thanks!
Live between both. Know both fairly well. Manchester is bigger and there is more of everything

HOWEVER Newcastle 'supposedly' is the best in the country for student life, all things considered, with many different clubs and pubs.

Barring Byker, Newcastle is very safe, I have never felt threatened while on night out there, and I've often seen female students wandering home alone. Manchester on the other hand has a violence problem which I have seen for myself, and a rape problem that female students have been warned about.

All in all I'd go for Newcastle - safer, friendlier and and not too big or too small
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Manchester is a lot better,more students and a lot more youthful city in general.By far Newcastle is overrated that tends to attract people who think its nightlife is amazing .Manchester is a closely packed city literally you could walk from one side of the city center to the other in a 10 -15 minutes walk .Literally everything is close knit in Manchester.Newcastle is a little bit more spread out.More variety in Manchester in terms of leisure (United and City) football teams,Shopping centres,a lot more nightclubs and pubs in Manchester than Newcastle .More Universities and Colleges in the city center alone hence younger crowds.
In the end you want to choose somewhere that you'll be happy and remain happy.
For me it was Manchester(I live in the city center ) 1st Year student

:I had an older friend(from college) who lives in Newcastle ,but didn't enjoy the city.Hes planning to drop out.
shanelnv
Rep:
?
(Original post by Borgia)
Live between both. Know both fairly well. Manchester is bigger and there is more of everything

HOWEVER Newcastle 'supposedly' is the best in the country for student life, all things considered, with many different clubs and pubs.

Barring Byker, Newcastle is very safe, I have never felt threatened while on night out there, and I've often seen female students wandering home alone. Manchester on the other hand has a violence problem which I have seen for myself, and a rape problem that female students have been warned about.

All in all I'd go for Newcastle - safer, friendlier and and not too big or too small
Thank you! Are you currently a student? Do you happen to know if the law school in particular is better at Newcastle?
Borgia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you! Are you currently a student? Do you happen to know if the law school in particular is better at Newcastle?
No. I just have friends studying at both. And no I'm not sure, I'd look at law specific league tables
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Newcastle by far.
How can Newcastle be a smaller city yet take longer to walk across I have no idea.
But it's has 2 universities colleges and schools.
There is plenty to do and it's very safe and student friendly. Many employers are very flexible with having time off for exams and visiting family etc and there are plenty of bars shops etc. There is always student deals where you can get discount etc.
Plenty of taxi companies to get you home that start off as £1 fair.
I have yet to meet people that have hated it and know a lot of people who moved there for university and haven't left. There is a great transport system in and out the city and there is plenty of parking if you drive.

Ultimately it's up to you which city you choose, it's probably better if you visit the universities and see what you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shanelnv
Rep:
?
(Original post by deviant182)
Newcastle by far.
How can Newcastle be a smaller city yet take longer to walk across I have no idea.
But it's has 2 universities colleges and schools.
There is plenty to do and it's very safe and student friendly. Many employers are very flexible with having time off for exams and visiting family etc and there are plenty of bars shops etc. There is always student deals where you can get discount etc.
Plenty of taxi companies to get you home that start off as £1 fair.
I have yet to meet people that have hated it and know a lot of people who moved there for university and haven't left. There is a great transport system in and out the city and there is plenty of parking if you drive.

Ultimately it's up to you which city you choose, it's probably better if you visit the universities and see what you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately, I live in Thailand so I won't be able to visit the cities. I'll have to be making my decisions based on research and this thread, haha. Are there a lot employment opportunities in Newcastle? In terms of both graduate prospects and part-time work while studying. Thanks for your help!
Borgia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately, I live in Thailand so I won't be able to visit the cities. I'll have to be making my decisions based on research and this thread, haha. Are there a lot employment opportunities in Newcastle? In terms of both graduate prospects and part-time work while studying. Thanks for your help!
If you want media work, Manchester is far far better. Other than that I dont know
[email protected]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks!

Hi Shanelnv,

Newcastle has been voted the best city for students! Everyone here is really friendly and welcoming and one in every six people is a student!

It's so close to the beach and the beautiful countryside of Northumberland.

The city is so compact you can get around very easily. It is due to host the Rugby World Cup this year - it's a thriving city for sport!

I could go on! I know I am biased but Newcastle wins every time.

Liv
shanelnv
Rep:
?
(Original post by [email protected])
Hi Shanelnv,

Newcastle has been voted the best city for students! Everyone here is really friendly and welcoming and one in every six people is a student!

It's so close to the beach and the beautiful countryside of Northumberland.

The city is so compact you can get around very easily. It is due to host the Rugby World Cup this year - it's a thriving city for sport!

I could go on! I know I am biased but Newcastle wins every time.

Liv
Thanks so much Liv! Do many students work part-time? How hard is it to find part-time work ?
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks so much Liv! Do many students work part-time? How hard is it to find part-time work ?

Hi Shanelnv, I worked part time when I was at Northumbria University, most of my friends did too. There are lots of jobs going in bars, restaurants, shops and the Students' Union! Or you could try and get paid work experience - so it is related to your course. Liv
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Newcastle is smaller but less spread out and seems to have more of a defined center, both have good transport links and accommodation...
shanelnv
Rep:
?
Hi Liz. How would you say the law school at Newcastle compares to Manchester? In terms of classes, content, lectures, etc.. I've heard Newcastle has a great support structure, but are there more job opportunities in Manchester? Since it's a bigger hub for legal careers.. or does that make it even harder? Thanks in advance for your response!
(Original post by [email protected])
Hi Shanelnv, I worked part time when I was at Northumbria University, most of my friends did too. There are lots of jobs going in bars, restaurants, shops and the Students' Union! Or you could try and get paid work experience - so it is related to your course. Liv
Dave0505
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very late on this but I live in Newcastle and have lived in Manchester. Manchester is a bigger city but is not as good for night life. The club's are only open on weekends and are very expensive. In Newcastle they're open all week till late with plenty choice. Also Manchester is very rough with lots of knife crime and rape. Newcastle is friendlier with less crime. Manchester is the worst city I've been to try and change my mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed