jazzjsaunders
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I enjoy sciences but definatley want to do a language aswell, I know that maths would be good for me but I struggle with/dont enjoy it much so would the IB be better for me as I can take a less complex maths? Also is it worth all the effort, in the end is is equivalent to 4 A-levels and takes much more effort (from what i've heard)
If i took A-levels :
Chemistry
Biology
French or German (undecided)
something else maybe psychology

If IB:
chemistry
the more basic maths
again, french or german (undecided)
and then I would also take biology bc of medicine

Would one look better than the other, and which would be overall the most effective?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jazzjsaunders)
I enjoy sciences but definatley want to do a language aswell, I know that maths would be good for me but I struggle with/dont enjoy it much so would the IB be better for me as I can take a less complex maths? Also is it worth all the effort, in the end is is equivalent to 4 A-levels and takes much more effort (from what i've heard)
If i took A-levels :
Chemistry
Biology
French or German (undecided)
something else maybe psychology

If IB:
chemistry
the more basic maths
again, french or german (undecided)
and then I would also take biology bc of medicine

Would one look better than the other, and which would be overall the most effective?
Deciding between A-level and IB is very much up to personal preference and what subject choices you want to have. IB tends to be better for all-rounders who like to study a range of different subjects and is not as good for people who only want to concentrate on the sciences or humanities/arts.

From the point of view of applying to medicine, a lot of people favour doing A-levels (as I did), partly because the requirements for IB for medicine seem, from what people have said to me, to be harder to achieve.
jazzjsaunders
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by theresheglows)
Deciding between A-level and IB is very much up to personal preference and what subject choices you want to have. IB tends to be better for all-rounders who like to study a range of different subjects and is not as good for people who only want to concentrate on the sciences or humanities/arts.

From the point of view of applying to medicine, a lot of people favour doing A-levels (as I did), partly because the requirements for IB for medicine seem, from what people have said to me, to be harder to achieve.
yes thats what i thought but would doing IB put me at an advantage for applying to med school?
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
yes thats what i thought but would doing IB put me at an advantage for applying to med school?
Nope, but nor would it give you a disadvantage (if you score well in it).
Zebrajess
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only advantage of doing IB for medicine is that you get your results early so you have a confirmed offer sooner :P
But seriously, I have friends that did the IB and got into medicine, but it's a lot harder to get the grades in IB than it is in A-levels.
Unis don't mind which you do, as long as you get the grades they ask for, so it really depends on which you'd prefer and think you'd do better in.
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

No, IB and A-levels are considered equal as entry qualifications so long as you achieve their entry requirements for whichever you do. I assume you are referring to the fact that you do a wider range of subjects plus core subjects and community work as part of IB. Other than doing the subjects they require (for either) the most important thing is to get the grades and to get lots of work experience (along with UKCAT/BMAT score, personal statement etc.). Unis give no particular preference to IB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (124)
20.13%
Labour (308)
50%
Liberal Democrats (83)
13.47%
Green Party (30)
4.87%
Brexit Party (7)
1.14%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.49%
SNP (13)
2.11%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.97%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)