The Student Room Group

GCSE Choices

Hey fellow TSR user,

I'm going through an education dilemma; my school has restricted us to 2 subject choices; yes 2! This is because I have to take; Maths(obviously), English (language and literature), Science (core and additional), MFL (basically German; I'm in a language college), History/Geography (you decide between the two; my school wants EVERYONE to have an Ebacc to make the school look good), R.E (Catholic School) and we only get to truly chose two subjects.

So I'm torn between Media and Product Design because I have two career ideas; journalism and marketing. Marketing is a job in huge demand in the employment market (pun intended) and I love journalism but it's a hard profession to get into to. Can please have some advice? (preferably before 11/3/4). Thank You.
Reply 1
Original post by TomiO17
Hey fellow TSR user,

I'm going through an education dilemma; my school has restricted us to 2 subject choices; yes 2! This is because I have to take; Maths(obviously), English (language and literature), Science (core and additional), MFL (basically German; I'm in a language college), History/Geography (you decide between the two; my school wants EVERYONE to have an Ebacc to make the school look good), R.E (Catholic School) and we only get to truly chose two subjects.

So I'm torn between Media and Product Design because I have two career ideas; journalism and marketing. Marketing is a job in huge demand in the employment market (pun intended) and I love journalism but it's a hard profession to get into to. Can please have some advice? (preferably before 11/3/4). Thank You.

Keeping both careers in mind, look at what further qualifications (A levels, uni) are needed/recommended for them. Then see which GCSEs you need to get onto those A levels. Then if you need a particular GCSE, take that. If neither are necessary, pick whichever you think you'll enjoy more!
Reply 2
Original post by frenchrev1789
So let's straight get to the point- you will either want to get into journalism OR business (which leads into marketing and so on), right?

In Russell Group Uni choice guide, (which can be found at http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf btw), business studies have no essential subjects but is good with Maths, Economics and Business Studies A-level. As far as I know both Economics and Business Studies do not require a specific grade- e.g. economics in my school 6th Form only needs 5 or more A*-C including English, Maths and Sciences to study. So nothing is really essential.

Journalism or media doesn't really have an essential subject either but 'a few courses ask for English Language or Media Studies', with English, Media, Psychology, Sociology being helpful.

I guess since Business does not require Product Designs and you said you would like to get into Journalism, Media is a better choice by miles.

*Quote me if needed*

Thanks! Just made an important choice easier for me.
Reply 3
do not pick product design unless you want to be doing coursework when you are 30

Quick Reply

Latest