ADVICE PLEASE! Travelling alone to Oz in September/October

Watch
juppsyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So in mid September/early October I am going to Oz for at least a month, probably more. Due to friends backing out I am left on my own, however I'm not letting this stop me as travelling Oz is something I have always wanted to do!

I have vague plans already, starting my travels in Melbourne then moving up the east coast and finishing in Cairns. The main places I want to visit are Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Magnetic Island, Great Barrier Reef and Fraiser Island. But I also want to see many other places on the way!

I have looked at many travel companies and am leaning toward Oz Experience as it seems like everything is included that I want to do however it is still quite expensive so I have also looked at just getting a greyhound bus ticket and doing it without a travel company but I'm still considering all the benefits and drawbacks of this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on travelling alone/travel companies/places to see and stay etc.. Anything advice is welcome!

Also, if there's anyone out there looking for a travel partner or just someone to hang around with for a while, then let me know as as much as I'm happy to go solo, I would also love a companion!

Thanks in advance, Kate
Topdeck Travel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Kate,

I am glad you are making the trip out to Australia, I completely understand why you are a little bit nervous, the country is massive (it's the size of Europe!) and you can waste a lot of time making your way around. Australia is less 'connected' as Europe, imagine if there were only 5-6 major cities in all of Europe and you can get the idea!

It is good to look at all of your options when travelling there, I have spent much time in Australia so I am always happy to help!

Cheers,

Matthew
carlthetraveler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Australia’s Weather & Climate

When will the Australian climate be most comfortable for you based on your planned vacation activities? Here are some useful Facts and Resources on Australia’s Climate Averages, Rainfalls and Water Temperatures to help you decide.

Seasons in Australia

Spring: September – November (lovely)
Summer: December – February (hot)
Autumn: March – May (lovely)
Winter: June – August (cool, but not really cold)

Temperatures in Australia

As a starting point, its important to know that the size of Australia compared to the USA is only slightly smaller in land mass – so Australia is huge! So there are large variances in temperatures across Australia on any day. The further north you travel (closer to the equator) the hotter it gets, which is the opposite for the USA.

The coldest it gets in Australia’s most visited tourist destinations is around 32F (freezing) in places like Uluru or Canberra during winter nights in July/August. There are not any snowbound cities in Australia.

Australia Rainfall (Tropics)

Wet Season: November – May (Most rainfall occurs in January, February & March.)

Dry Season: June – October

The “Tropics of Australia” is the region north of the “Tropic of Capricorn” (approximately the top third of Australia) and includes cities like Cairns & Darwin. Rainfall is an important consideration if you want to spend some of your vacation exploring the Outback at Kakadu National Park in Australia’s far north – the “wet season” is not the time to do it. However if Scuba Diving the Great Barrier Reef is more up your alley, then it won’t matter if you travel in the wet season – either way you’re going to get wet and have fun!

Stinger Season: November – May (wet season)

Little marine critters and jellyfish that sting are collectively known “Stingers”. They generally don’t affect the Great Barrier Reef. Stingers aren’t overly energetic animals and have not caused any problems around the reef and islands but occur mainly around the rivers, creeks and beaches north of, and around, Bundaberg. They are easy to avoid, but cause discomfort if you are stung. The more serious ones are ‘Box Jellyfish’ which have been known to be lethal. Stinger season is from typically November through May. If there are stingers present there will most likely be signs posted. At these locations you will need to swim inside the stinger enclosures provided or wear a stinger suit. A stinger suit is like a ‘sun suit’ – a long leg, long sleeve, one piece swimsuit typically made from lycra (or similar).
NHM713
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by juppsyy)
So in mid September/early October I am going to Oz for at least a month, probably more. Due to friends backing out I am left on my own, however I'm not letting this stop me as travelling Oz is something I have always wanted to do!

I have vague plans already, starting my travels in Melbourne then moving up the east coast and finishing in Cairns. The main places I want to visit are Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Magnetic Island, Great Barrier Reef and Fraiser Island. But I also want to see many other places on the way!

I have looked at many travel companies and am leaning toward Oz Experience as it seems like everything is included that I want to do however it is still quite expensive so I have also looked at just getting a greyhound bus ticket and doing it without a travel company but I'm still considering all the benefits and drawbacks of this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on travelling alone/travel companies/places to see and stay etc.. Anything advice is welcome!

Also, if there's anyone out there looking for a travel partner or just someone to hang around with for a while, then let me know as as much as I'm happy to go solo, I would also love a companion!

Thanks in advance, Kate
I'm thinking of travelling too, and as everyone I know, wouldn't be interested/ or just worried, if looks like its something I may do by myself.
juppsyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by NHM713)
I'm thinking of travelling too, and as everyone I know, wouldn't be interested/ or just worried, if looks like its something I may do by myself.
When are you thinking of going? I'm more than happy to plan with other people or meet people during my trip
NHM713
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by juppsyy)
When are you thinking of going? I'm more than happy to plan with other people or meet people during my trip
I was planning to go during the summer months, I must admit, I'm mostly interested in visiting Asia, but, I do want to visit that side of the world.
NotYourType
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Gold coast is known for its theme parks...it's a must visit there !
Check out Warner bros movie world , I recall ..not entirely sure of the name...and ...my memory fails to serve me ..but I remember going for penguin watching...let me try to recollect where that was ,it was in Philip island..also check out the Amazin things there..I'm talking out of experience and this was like 5 Years back

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.38%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.38%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
46.88%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (6)
18.75%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads