Help study tips for ALevels

Watch
XXSimmyXX
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I don't know how to revise effectively for Alevels
Any tips, bearng in mind only like two months unti exams.
I struggle with motivation(stress a lot) and how to be organised and balance out my revision.

I do Business, Philosophy amd ethics amd Sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile

beth16x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XXSimmyXX)
I don't know how to revise effectively for Alevels
Any tips, bearng in mind only like two months unti exams.
I struggle with motivation(stress a lot) and how to be organised and balance out my revision.

I do Business, Philosophy amd ethics amd Sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do A2 Sociology so can help out with some revision techniques (which hopefully you could apply to your other subjects)

I use post-it notes to summarise each paragraph and highlight important names. Then I use my post-it notes to answer the quick check questions and essay question(s) at the end of each chapter past exam papers are good to do and even doing them in timed conditions is good practice! Other things are mind maps, make powerpoints or posters, revision cards of what each sociologist says!

For research methods I use something called 'Perverted Cam' (bit of an odd thing but it works!)
P - practical issues
E - ethical issues
R - reliability
V - validity
E - example of a study
R - representativeness
T - theoretical issues (positivist/interpretivist)
E - evaluate
D - data (quantitative, qualitative)

CAM - compare another method
I made posters on each research methods using this:-)

Hope I've helped!
XXSimmyXX
Rep:
?
(Original post by beth16x)
I do A2 Sociology so can help out with some revision techniques (which hopefully you could apply to your other subjects)

I use post-it notes to summarise each paragraph and highlight important names. Then I use my post-it notes to answer the quick check questions and essay question(s) at the end of each chapter past exam papers are good to do and even doing them in timed conditions is good practice! Other things are mind maps, make powerpoints or posters, revision cards of what each sociologist says!

For research methods I use something called 'Perverted Cam' (bit of an odd thing but it works!)
P - practical issues
E - ethical issues
R - reliability
V - validity
E - example of a study
R - representativeness
T - theoretical issues (positivist/interpretivist)
E - evaluate
D - data (quantitative, qualitative)

CAM - compare another method
I made posters on each research methods using this:-)

Hope I've helped!
Thank u I also do A2sociology, what topics you study

Posted from TSR Mobile
beth16x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XXSimmyXX)
Thank u I also do A2sociology, what topics you study

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beliefs in Society & Crime and Deviance :-) which do you do?
XXSimmyXX
Rep:
?
(Original post by beth16x)
Beliefs in Society & Crime and Deviance :-) which do you do?
Omg the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
yusraali
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do philosophy and ethics and sociology too in AS. What I'd say is separate your revision into building blocks, because that way it is easier for your brain to remember and it'll make your think you have less to revise. For example, you can make one block on the functionalist perspective on the family using half a page or even one side if you need to, and another block for Marxist so it seems like you're comparing the both of them. I also suggest learning a lot of the key study's and the sociologists names, and to keep practicing exam papers and essays so you are used to it. If you can't revise at home, perhaps try staying at school for a few hours after school, use the free periods you can get and study in the library's during the holiday and the weekends. Plus, try colour coding your revision notes if they help you remember it, and mindmaps on A4 paper also work and you can stick it in your room! Try do it for different topics.

With P&E, definitely, definitely, definitely learn key words that you can slot into your answers, because I'm telling you examiners love it. They love how you can show a wide understanding of philosophical theories, so first start making a list of key words to learn in each topic and try know the definition for them. Flash cards have been my saviour so far, and if you go to Wiklinson you can get these flash cards on a chain that you can easily carry every where with you and flick through, on the bus, walking to school, before you sleep etc. After, try learning the theories for philosophy and ethics and make notes and mindmaps. Most of all though I'd say practice a lot of past papers, that's the only reason my confidence in the subject is 10x greater.

Good luck, and I hope you do well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
XXSimmyXX
Rep:
?
(Original post by yusraali)
I do philosophy and ethics and sociology too in AS. What I'd say is separate your revision into building blocks, because that way it is easier for your brain to remember and it'll make your think you have less to revise. For example, you can make one block on the functionalist perspective on the family using half a page or even one side if you need to, and another block for Marxist so it seems like you're comparing the both of them. I also suggest learning a lot of the key study's and the sociologists names, and to keep practicing exam papers and essays so you are used to it. If you can't revise at home, perhaps try staying at school for a few hours after school, use the free periods you can get and study in the library's during the holiday and the weekends. Plus, try colour coding your revision notes if they help you remember it, and mindmaps on A4 paper also work and you can stick it in your room! Try do it for different topics.

With P&E, definitely, definitely, definitely learn key words that you can slot into your answers, because I'm telling you examiners love it. They love how you can show a wide understanding of philosophical theories, so first start making a list of key words to learn in each topic and try know the definition for them. Flash cards have been my saviour so far, and if you go to Wiklinson you can get these flash cards on a chain that you can easily carry every where with you and flick through, on the bus, walking to school, before you sleep etc. After, try learning the theories for philosophy and ethics and make notes and mindmaps. Most of all though I'd say practice a lot of past papers, that's the only reason my confidence in the subject is 10x greater.

Good luck, and I hope you do well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks thts helped a lot, I'll defo get down to Wilkinson aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (27)
20.3%
No (106)
79.7%

Watched Threads