georgiakirk123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently in year 12 studying Philosophy and Ethics and I want to continue with the subject at university but I don't know what job/career this could lead to, does anyone have any suggestions?
NotJustAName
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your degree can lead to pretty much any career, and philosophy is thought of highly. It's a very academic degree. Philosophy and ethics would especially compliment a career in law. Ever thought of going to law school after?
georgiakirk123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I didn't realise it was an option, I'll look into it! Thank you
LukeyD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Law is good post grad idea but the costs in converting your Philosophy degree to Law and then getting through the LPC, etc. is high, both in money and time.

I graduated in Philosophy last year (June 2014) and am now on a grad scheme for a commercial insurance and risk firm. Whilst I was in uni I worked in a call centre selling home insurance and this was what really pushed me up the employability ladder. Philosophy is not vocational so won't necessarily lead you to a job, but if you can combine it with practical work experience in a specific industry then you should be fine.

As you are in year 12, really make sure you nail your A-Levels as these will be surprisingly useful when applying for graduate roles, with some of the big schemes and opportunities requiring minimum UCAS points or at least a certain level of grades in top three a-levels.

Might be worth looking in to accountancy (PWC, EY, KPMG, Deloitte, Saffery Champness - Go to accounts age for a big list), as they often don't ask for specific degrees so Philosophy is as useful as anything else.

Keep studying and good luck in whatever subject you decide to do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (187)
33.33%
Receiving them online / by email (281)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.58%

Watched Threads