The Student Room Group

Your height & Boyfriend/Girlfriends height! (Theory)

Really bored and came up with a theory. Usually a girl wants a guy taller than them in terms of attractiveness. What I find is though usually the girls in the shorter height section (4ft 11-5ft 3) usually want a guy who's extremely tall, for example 6ft+. I guess since they are much smaller compared to others they want somebody whos much taller than average who can protect them and make them feel they are the submissive one.

I find however though that girls on the taller side (5ft 7+) usually have no problem settling down with guys who are of similar height, bit taller or sometimes even shorter! I feel because girls at this height don't expect much from guys to be anymore taller so they have no problem settling with guys of similar height. For example I'm 5ft 9 and all my past girlfriends I've been with have always been around 5ft 7 or nearly around the same height I am. However girls who are much shorter than me only see me as average height, nothing special and seem to be leaning towards the guys who are 6ft.

Time to see the results, post your height along with your partners height! This is not to be taken seriously lol just a general observation...
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've been with girls ranging slightly taller than me to extremely short(5'2"ish). I'm 5'11".
Original post by ifstatement
Really bored and came up with a theory. Usually a girl wants a guy taller than them in terms of attractiveness. What I find is though usually the girls in the shorter height section (4ft 11-5ft 3) usually want a guy who's extremely tall, for example 6ft+. I guess since they are much smaller compared to others they want somebody whos much taller than average who can protect them and make them feel they are the submissive one.

I find however though that girls on the taller side (5ft 7+) usually have no problem settling down with guys who are of similar height, bit taller or sometimes even shorter! I feel because girls at this height don't expect much from guys to be anymore taller so they have no problem settling with guys of similar height. For example I'm 5ft 9 and all my past girlfriends I've been with have always been around 5ft 7 or nearly around the same height I am. However girls who are much shorter than me only see me as average height, nothing special and seem to be leaning towards the guys who are 6ft.

Time to see the results, post your height along with your partners height! This is not to be taken seriously lol just a general observation...

You may be on to something.

I never really cared about height until a girl called me small. Now I sort of pay attention. I'm 5'11 and wide shouldered, I thought I was doing OK until some clam threw threats at my height.

Past was about 5"5, my recent ex was about my size, if not taller on some days.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Everyone I've been with has been between 5'4 to 5'6. I prefer girls to be shorter than me but don't really have a strict preference.

I'm 5'11.
5'4 here. My boyfriend is 6'5 so maybe you're right.
I'm 5'1, he's 5'11.

I used to think the same until I had guys from either side of the spectrum. I used to idealised having someone over 6', but the reality wasn't as great as I imagined. It was a hassle reaching his face even while I wore 6" heels. :redface: When I was with someone around 5'7 I realised that I prefer guys who are around average height because it's so much easier to see/reach their face. My current boyfriend is 5'11 and he's almost perfect. Still a little too tall for my midget self, but almost perfect. :borat:
Original post by ChickenMadness
I've been with girls ranging slightly taller than me to extremely short(5'2"ish). I'm 5'11".

5'2 is "extremely short"? by that standard, you're "extremely tall" even though you're not
Original post by zippity.doodah
5'2 is "extremely short"? by that standard, you're "extremely tall" even though you're not

I'm average height for a male in the UK. and 5'2" is pretty short lol.
I'm 5'7 and my girlfriend is 5'2, which to be honest isn't that fair once she starts wearing heels. I do agree with your theory though. Im below average height, but it doesn't really matter because to most girls height doesn't matter as long as they aren't freakishly tall than me.
I'm 6'3" and my ex-boyfriend was (well probably still is) the same height as me, if not slightly shorter.

I wore heels around him all the time and it never bothered either of us that I was taller. I don't get this obsession with height and those popular posts on Tumblr and things about how 'all guys under 6'0 are friends' or 'I feel sorry for you if you're under 6'0' or something.

I mean obviously everyone is entitled to their own preferences and some girls will just view tallness as a more attractive quality than shortness. But I'd never discount every male under a certain height nor would I feel insecure about being taller than a boyfriend, but hey to each their own.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm 5ft8 and boyfriend is the same.

Original post by Charameow

I wore heels around him all the time and it never bothered either of us that I was taller. I don't get this obsession with height and those popular posts on Tumblr and things about how 'all guys under 6'0 are friends' or 'I feel sorry for you if you're under 6'0' or something.

I mean obviously everyone is entitled to their own preferences and some girls will just view tallness as a more attractive quality than shortness. But I'd never discount every male under a certain height nor would I feel insecure about being taller than a boyfriend, but hey to each their own.

This^
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm 5 foot 3 inches and my bf is 6 foot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 5ft 4 and my boyfriend is like 5ft 8/9.
I'm about 5"8 ish and my boyfriend is 6"4 :smile:
I'm 5'1" and my boyfriend is 5'6", wouldn't really want to be with an extremely tall guy
I'm 5'3". I've had 2 serious relationships and both guys were 6'3" so you might be right! I have dated shorter guys though.
Original post by ChickenMadness
I'm average height for a male in the UK. and 5'2" is pretty short lol.

nah. male average height in the UK is 5'9.5 and average female height is 5'4.
Don't European women average to 5'8"-5'10" in height?
Reply 18
I'm a girl who's 6'1", and at my height it's hard to find taller guys who I'm also into. I prefer taller guys generally, but my lower limit is about 5'10", and my current boyfriend is just under 6' so there's a bit of leeway!
I'm 5'8 and I like my guys 6 feet +++

Latest