Are my results good enough for Oxbridge?

Watch
ilaydalana
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For my GCSEs I'm hoping to get 3 A*s 3 As and 2 Bs
I've already got an A in physics and B in biology so ill get 10 gcses overall
Actaeon
Badges: 11
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ilaydalana)
For my GCSEs I'm hoping to get 3 A*s 3 As and 2 Bs
I've already got an A in physics and B in biology so ill get 10 gcses overall
Depends on what subject you're wanting to study, but I'd say they were. To have the best chances, you want them to be as high as possible, so I'd try and avoid the Bs if you can, unless they're in completely irrelevant subjects
ilaydalana
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok thanks :P I don't think I'll be able to get higher than a B in Maths and French I've never been good at them but I would probably do English Lit at uni so it should be ok
Jamesinatr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you on track for an A* in English GCSE?
a96clark
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably not if I'm honest. But there's no harm in trying to do better
Robin18
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm an Oxbridge reject and I got 7 A*s at GCSE so literally everything on your application needs to be amazing - not just grades.
1) You need have an excellent personal statement - mine was great because I had read lots of books, done work experience, DofE, attended master classes, taken part in sporting events etc, and the grammar itself was perfect (but average for Oxbridge).
2) You need to have great GCSE grades - Mine were great (but average for Oxbridge).
3) You need to have all 'A' grades at AS level - I didn't (terrible for Oxbridge).
4) You need to be predicted all 'A' grades or preferably above for A level - I am (average for Oxbridge).
5) You need to have exceptional work to submit if it is required - mine was mediocre (terrible for Oxbridge).
6) You need to achieve high results in the admissions test if your course has one - I did fairly well (average for Oxbridge).
7) You need to have a good teacher reference - mine was great (average for Oxbridge).
8) You ideally should take more than three A levels as well and be predicted 'A's in those as well - I only take three (only three are required but many Oxbridge applicants have four or five).

So as you can tell, I am a great student in a general sense but equally, I was unsurprisingly rejected because for Oxbridge standards, my application was very poor.

Preparation begins at GCSE level so undertake work experience, read books that are not compulsary, enter local or national competitions, attend lectures and taster days on the subject that you wish to pursue, and revise well to achieve high results. Also in Year 12, you can attend workshops around the country, the Sutton Trust summer schools, and UNIQ summer schools to give you an insight into the courses and university life itself. Hopefully this helps because I wish that I had properly understood the expectations to meet in order to be accepted into an Oxbridge university. Remember though, although they are the best, Oxbridge might not be for you because you could be happier at another university depending on what kind of personality you have, what your life ambitions are, what kind of city you like, and what you are generally looking for in your degree, etc. Good luck!
sally_1912
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
F*ck Oxbridge. I could've gotten in too but I decided not to opt for them as a choice because it just didn't appeal to me at all. It takes A LOT of commitment to study at their level and I knew while i had the grades and extra cirriculars and a perfect PS, I just couldnt stand the idea of having NO LIFE at their institutions. Like, you would be in hell.

Some people don't even make it through because of the amount of pressure the students get. I wouldn't be able to handle it. Yes they have state of the art facilities and are ranked at the top of the world, but come on. There are billionaires who dropped out of school. To succeed, you need to be at a place where your mind is at ease and peace, where you know you'll fit in and you won't always be comparing yourself to others.

It's your decision at the end of the day. Realistically speaking, those grades won't do. To reach their standards, you need to be 100% all around perfect. A*s at everything. GCSEs don't really matter if your A levels shadow them though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed