The Student Room Group

Wjec as english lit help!

I'm studying WJEC English lit. I do Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh and for the drama I do Murmuring Judges.

Is anyone else doing WJEC English lit and what poems and drama are you studying.

How are you finding it?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes poetry, and our play is Arcadia. After getting an A* at GCSE, all the enjoyment has been taken out of English for me. Plath is so god-damn depressing.. Hughes isn't much better. Arcadia is alright, the sciency stuff confuses me though.

Are you doing the Creative Writing/Commentary and the Novel Comparison coursework pieces? If so, what books? I'm doing Tess of the D'Urbervilles (another book I hate) and The Great Gatsby for the comparison. My creative writing will be on Metamorphosis, after my first choice was rejected by the exam board for not being 'A-Level standard'.

I don't like it much :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by AdAbsurdum
I'm doing Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes poetry, and our play is Arcadia. After getting an A* at GCSE, all the enjoyment has been taken out of English for me. Plath is so god-damn depressing.. Hughes isn't much better. Arcadia is alright, the sciency stuff confuses me though.

Are you doing the Creative Writing/Commentary and the Novel Comparison coursework pieces? If so, what books? I'm doing Tess of the D'Urbervilles (another book I hate) and The Great Gatsby for the comparison. My creative writing will be on Metamorphosis, after my first choice was rejected by the exam board for not being 'A-Level standard'.

Yeah I did, my creative writing inspired by The Great Gatsby and the comparison on Wuthering Heights and The Woman In Black.

I know so many people that seem to love Plath, thought I was missing out by doing Duffy even though she's good.

Same I hate Welsh board tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cyrusdelray
Yeah I did, my creative writing inspired by The Great Gatsby and the comparison on Wuthering Heights and The Woman In Black.

I know so many people that seem to love Plath, thought I was missing out by doing Duffy even though she's good.

Same I hate Welsh board tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, were they okay? We haven't done either yet, trying to prepare for both at once whilst doing our play and poems, great logic by my school.
Yeah, some of it is alright but I hate the majority of it. I don't know Carol Ann Duffy that well but you're not missing out on anything.
Is your school in Wales? I live in Norwich, I have no idea why we're doing the welsh board
Reply 4
Ah right, were they okay? We haven't done either yet, trying to prepare for both at once whilst doing our play and poems, great logic by my school.
Yeah, some of it is alright but I hate the majority of it. I don't know Carol Ann Duffy that well but you're not missing out on anything.
Is your school in Wales? I live in Norwich, I have no idea why we're doing the welsh board

That must be stressful because the coursework deadline for the exam board is soon! Yeah I did my creative last year and my comparison last month. It's hard as the AOs are very specific which makes it hard. Plus my teacher is an AQA moderator and team leader so she marks harshly.

Duffy is good, Pugh is dead af.

No I actually live in Birmingham, Norwich is so far 😩. But I dunno some schools and colleges prefer the Welsh board for some reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
That must be stressful because the coursework deadline for the exam board is soon! Yeah I did my creative last year and my comparison last month. It's hard as the AOs are very specific which makes it hard. Plus my teacher is an AQA moderator and team leader so she marks harshly.

Duffy is good, Pugh is dead af.

No I actually live in Birmingham, Norwich is so far . But I dunno some schools and colleges prefer the Welsh board for some reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, scarily soon and we've had no guidence. Our main teacher has been off sick for almost 4 months now and no-one's been brought in to help us so we're all delightfully screwed :smile: Yeah, they are difficult, at least if she marks harshly then you have an idea of the minimum grade you're likely to get - might be marked up, never know!

I do WJEC German A Level too, which is pretty good, bit strange having the instructions for the listening exercise read to you in a welsh accent though..
Reply 6
Yeah, scarily soon and we've had no guidence. Our main teacher has been off sick for almost 4 months now and no-one's been brought in to help us so we're all delightfully screwed :smile: Yeah, they are difficult, at least if she marks harshly then you have an idea of the minimum grade you're likely to get - might be marked up, never know!

I do WJEC German A Level too, which is pretty good, bit strange having the instructions for the listening exercise read to you in a welsh accent though..

Welsh accent :frown: :frown: damnnnnn
Well as long as you follow the AOs you should be fine. Welsh Board are picky, you teachers sounds like a knob. Like they don't think about their impact on people's a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm studying WJEC English lit. I do Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh and for the drama I do Murmuring Judges.

Is anyone else doing WJEC English lit and what poems and drama are you studying.

How are you finding it?

I did this exam last year, and am retaking in May (got a high B aiming for an A) - we did Duffy and Pugh too, but did Oleanna for drama. How are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by bevtolley
I did this exam last year, and am retaking in May (got a high B aiming for an A) - we did Duffy and Pugh too, but did Oleanna for drama. How are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's alright, don't like Pugh much tbh. I like duffs poems, I think they are more interesting. Murmuring judges is so longggg and quite boring. Good luck for your resits! I want an A too so hopefully I get it this year :smile:

How are you finding it?

i do duffy and pugh for the poetry and i sincerely want to rip my eyeballs out with coathangers every time we have to start a new poem
Original post by JacobFrancibob
i do duffy and pugh for the poetry and i sincerely want to rip my eyeballs out with coathangers every time we have to start a new poem

Can empathise with this - Plath and Hughes are just as bad

Really? I didn't think Duffy and Pugh were that bad except pugh bcus her poems are horrid :/
Can empathise with this - Plath and Hughes are just as bad

Everyone I speak to love Plath and Hughes. Are they poems really depressing or just some of them?
Everyone I speak to love Plath and Hughes. Are they poems really depressing or just some of them?

Plath was a very good poet, not denying that, but yeah, they are all depressing except one or two. It sort of wears you down after a while and some are so ambiguous that they become tricky to analyse. Some of Hughes' are okay, but as it's only the partner text you can't talk about them much anyway
Really? I didn't think Duffy and Pugh were that bad except pugh bcus her poems are horrid :/

I just think that duffy is full of herself that's all
Plath was a very good poet, not denying that, but yeah, they are all depressing except one or two. It sort of wears you down after a while and some are so ambiguous that they become tricky to analyse. Some of Hughes' are okay, but as it's only the partner text you can't talk about them much anyway

Ohh I see what you mean
I just think that duffy is full of herself that's all

She is a bit, she has very harsh views as well sometimes
Reply 17
I've just been set an practise essay on Duffy & Pugh on the topic of 'relationships'.. I can find plenty of Duffy poems to write about but I'm really struggling to find any suitable for Pugh! Can anyone help?
Reply 18
Original post by bevtolley

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing all the same texts as you; If you dont mind me asking, how did you find the exams last year and what kind of things did they ask you?

I finished my coursework on Wuthering Heights & The Bloody Chamber and then my creative writing was on The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks!
I got 38/40 on both parts. I think some of Plath's poetry is bareable, but most of it is v depressing as you said and Hughes is a bit wishy-washy for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending