allude741
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm in Year 9 and I'm currently choosing my GCSE Options and I was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice in choosing subjects? I'm thinking to do Triple Science, Drama, Dance, Geography, Music, Health & Social Care and Spanish.
Are these the right decisions? If anyone has previously studied/currently studying those subjects, are those subjects worthy to be taken?
Any advice would be appreciated! x
pursuedbyabear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing drama and triple science, as well as French and German, and I enjoy them all.
I was actually told by the school to follow a more 'academic' route and take a humanity over drama - I didn't and I'm glad I went against them. Drama is a great subject, it requires a lot of commitment, but is so much fun! The great thing about my exam board - OCR - is that you can choose to do a mixture of practical acting and scriptwriting (which might be avaliable on other exam boards, I don't know). So far I've done two performances, with another at the end of the year, and I'm currently in the process of writing a script.
I'm on AQA for all three sciences, and it's pretty interesting - especially the last three units of each science. The controlled assesment isn't too hard and the exams are alright. I'd probably have enjoed it more had the school not messed the teaching up a bit, but that's an isolated case. It's definitely a course worth taking.

If you have any questions about either subject feel free to ask me. Are you allowed to take all of the options you've listed? You're lucky if you are!
Katie015
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You may want to choose Dance if you like dancing, but I warn you that it is not the best subject as you are constantly pressured by the amount of coursework you have to do a solo, duo/group and another group dance then the set dance. And at my school half of the people who choose it (including me) dropped out of the subject. Plus it is a bit of a strange subject as the music in the set dance is psychotic and it is a very pressuring environment. I am not saying that you shouldn't consider it, if you like Dance and you want to do it, do it I am just saying how my experience was with the subject. Can't tell you anything about Spanish or Geography as I do neither of them I do French and History. I do double science but regret not doing triple science it is more indepth and far more interesting as everything is explained e.g. double is just like a short course of the whole science (not literally but like it uses only B1 B2 C1 C2 P1 P2) and triple is all of the three units. Drama is very good especially if it is OCR as I am doing OCR at my school and as I am not very open around people and quite shy I feel that it challenges me as I am becoming less shy, because I am performing in front of the class.
idree5
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm already doing triple science with AQA. I definitely think you should pick it, but first make sure you completely understand core science (unit 1) as it all builds on top of this. Also it's very hard to find time to go back in depth next year.
allude741
Rep:
?
(Original post by pursuedbyabear)
I'm doing drama and triple science, as well as French and German, and I enjoy them all.
I was actually told by the school to follow a more 'academic' route and take a humanity over drama - I didn't and I'm glad I went against them. Drama is a great subject, it requires a lot of commitment, but is so much fun! The great thing about my exam board - OCR - is that you can choose to do a mixture of practical acting and scriptwriting (which might be avaliable on other exam boards, I don't know). So far I've done two performances, with another at the end of the year, and I'm currently in the process of writing a script.
I'm on AQA for all three sciences, and it's pretty interesting - especially the last three units of each science. The controlled assesment isn't too hard and the exams are alright. I'd probably have enjoed it more had the school not messed the teaching up a bit, but that's an isolated case. It's definitely a course worth taking.

If you have any questions about either subject feel free to ask me. Are you allowed to take all of the options you've listed? You're lucky if you are!
Hiii. Thanks for your advice! And no, I don't think I'm allowed to take all subjects. The subjects I definitely want to take are Drama, Geography and Health & Social Care but I've reserved Dance, Spanish and Music (Sorry, I forgot to mention that!)
allude741
Rep:
?
(Original post by frenchrev1789)
Of the subjects you have listed I do Triple sci, Geog and Spanish. They are all pretty awesome, except Spanish speaking controlled assessments.

Triple sci is good if you want to go into the sciences subjects, however it is quite a lot of work. It is never unmanageable though- we have 7 science lessons a week, and I suspect that other schools have similar amount of lessons.

Geography is fun, esp. Physical Geography. I don't do as well in Human so ah well. It is also a respected humanities subject so it will be a nice choice (since you're not considering history?). It is utterly fascinating and yes, it DESERVES to be taken.

Spanish is also a valuable addition to get EBaccs... That's actually about the only reason I took Spanish, but we have a cool teacher so all's well haha.
Hii. Thanks for the Info and no, I'm not considering taking History, I've always sucked at it
bluesandgreens
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Harribba)
I'm in Year 9 and I'm currently choosing my GCSE Options and I was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice in choosing subjects? I'm thinking to do Triple Science, Drama, Dance, Geography, Music, Health & Social Care and Spanish.
Are these the right decisions? If anyone has previously studied/currently studying those subjects, are those subjects worthy to be taken?
Any advice would be appreciated! x
Hey, I seriously do not advise taking health and social! There is a lot of coursework and it is incredibly difficult getting higher than a B, and the coursework is worth 60%! The exam is rather easy though, but the coursework just is not worth it! As for your other subjects they are really good choices, although I've heard that module three can be extremely difficult for triple science! There is also a great amount of coursework in Dance as you have to constantly explain every thing you do and you have to make up lots of your own dances, however my friends who take it enjoy it despite that I'd recommend instead of health and social to take another language as they are not too difficult at GCSE as long as you do well in the controlled assessments, or if you enjoy writing a lot then you could still take health and social! I am not criticising the subject at all as it can be fun at times and a B isn't too bad, but if I could I would definitely go back and change to a subject I know I could easily get a better grade for
Seeing as your taking drama and dance I assume youre quite creative, so why not try PE? It overlaps with biology which is always helpful as well
Hope this helps and good luck for next year! GCSEs are nowhere near as daunting as they seem xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20%
I'm not sure (2)
2.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
27.06%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.53%
I'm not a current university student (40)
47.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed