Do you regard Art Nouveau architecture as 'Modernist' architecture?

Watch
Nogoodsorgods
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have thought about this and I think Art Deco was really the start of Modernism.

Art Nouveau was more like a last flourishing of Victorianism, alhtough also a prototype for Art Deco.

And yet Art Deco itself was still a kind of last flourishing of Victorianism- whilst being an early precursor of postmodernism as well in its use of motifs.

The undecorated modernism that first came in the 1920s, when it was built right like by Le Corbusier- through the 1950s and 60s like the Seagram Building (and in my opinion, the masculinity of British Brutalism) looks beautiful. But when the 'International Style' was used in the midn to late 1960s and early 1970s for schools, colleges, public buildings by some architects it was little more than building on the the cheap- and its clean lines were often made irrelevant by garish, cheap, interior design anyway.

Art Nouveau is more a late Victorian style.
Art Deco is more a precursor to postmodernism.
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nogoodsorgods)
I have thought about this and I think Art Deco was really the start of Modernism.

Art Nouveau was more like a last flourishing of Victorianism, alhtough also a prototype for Art Deco.

And yet Art Deco itself was still a kind of last flourishing of Victorianism- whilst being an early precursor of postmodernism as well in its use of motifs.

The undecorated modernism that first came in the 1920s, when it was built right like by Le Corbusier- through the 1950s and 60s like the Seagram Building (and in my opinion, the masculinity of British Brutalism) looks beautiful. But when the 'International Style' was used in the midn to late 1960s and early 1970s for schools, colleges, public buildings by some architects it was little more than building on the the cheap- and its clean lines were often made irrelevant by garish, cheap, interior design anyway.

Art Nouveau is more a late Victorian style.
Art Deco is more a precursor to postmodernism.
I can definitely see the link between art deco being a precursor to postmodernism but don't know much about Art Nouveau.

What is British Brutalism?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (3)
10%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
33.33%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
10%
No, I haven't received any communication (14)
46.67%

Watched Threads