spurs9393
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

Next September I will begin my A-Levels, in Maths, French, English Literature and History.

Is there anything you would recommend I do over the summer to prepare myself for these subject, eg any good, useful books to read?

Thanks
Actaeon
Badges: 11
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
For French, I'd recommend finding a decent grammar book, and starting at the beginning You wouldn't need to do more than a couple of hours over summer, so long as you're keeping your French active. It'll give you a bit of a head start on everyone else when you start school too. Maybe read a couple of classics for English Literature - find out what genres or periods you like. You won't have a huge amount of time to read for pleasure once A levels start, so make the most of your summer!
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi, doing English Lit, History, French (and Philosophy and RE) here!

Depending on your reading rate, you could request the texts for English over the summer - I had no trouble finishing them within the year though.

History, some extra reading around your periods doesn't hurt at all. A lot of the AS textbooks have recommended extra reading sections. I know my school had a lot of historical journal articles too.

French is probably hardest of the three. Just make sure you don't lose any of your aptitude over the summer; French newspaper articles, radio, etc. Find a good grammar book, and I also like 'Mot à Mot' for sophisticated essay vocabulary. Some schools also recommend a large dictionary and a verb table - I tend to find the internet usually suffices for this, though.
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Like some people have said, read your set texts for english, if you know what they are. Also, just read in general - maybe challenge yourself to read a book from every genre/era or something.

Maybe just do some maths practice now and then, read articles on history/books such as historical novels etc, review your french grammar and vocabulary so that in september, you're ready to start and not rusty.

Oh and work experience/volunteering or something similar to get you thinking about the future (career, university etc.). We do have a longer summer than usual so.

(Have fun too though! Obviously. :P)
Charliejb
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
For maths, revise the basic stuff (e.g. quadratics, basic trig). Im currently doing my AS level in maths and ive found that a lot of what we have learnt has expanded on maths we learnt at GCSE.
Hayley Williams
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by spurs9393)
Hi,

Next September I will begin my A-Levels, in Maths, French, English Literature and History.

Is there anything you would recommend I do over the summer to prepare myself for these subject, eg any good, useful books to read?

Thanks
Maths and French are probably the two you could prepare for, but i would recommend just chilling for the summer. A levels are intense and having a break before you start will help you out. For maths i would recommend going over all aspects of Gcse to make sure you fully understood it and then for ranch go over basic grammar/vocab. Just make sure you have solid foundation for when you start your a levels
spurs9393
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank for the suggestions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
GreenPlum
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'd spend your summer relaxing rather than stressing out over A-levels, but in the week or two before you go back, go over some of the top level GCSE Maths stuff like your quadratics, completing the square, surds etc. For French, make sure you know all the GCSE verbs and top level vocab. I haven't done the others at A-level, so I can't give advice on them Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads