This discussion is closed.
Beidniz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Moral relativism is the belief that morality is subject to a number of one's individual encumbrances; for instance, one's context and culture. For instance, the practice of female genital mutilation is widely accepted as morally permissible within some North African and Middle Eastern societies, albeit not in Western civilisations such as America. From this empirically verifiable observation, we can deduce that, therefore, morality is perhaps RELATIVE and dependent upon cultural, social, individual and societal influences. Note, that this philosophical school of thought is also widely referred to as 'Cultural Relativism'. Remembering this can remind you of what this philosophical standpoint entails.

Objections to this Philosophy are normative or objective considerations about the nature of morality. Some examples are Plato, and Aristotle's objective moral principles of virtue and Hume's Morality of Sympathy. A valuable point to consider is that Moral relativism is in fact a paradox; inferring that morality is relative, is, in a sense, a morally objective statement. It suggests that moral relatively is an objective fact, and thus is an immediate contradiction against the culturally relative standpoint, regarding morality, in which it attempts to perpetuate.

I hope this helps,

Joe

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (580)
34.24%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (697)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (340)
20.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.55%

Watched Threads