Moral relativism???? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Beidniz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Moral relativism is the belief that morality is subject to a number of one's individual encumbrances; for instance, one's context and culture. For instance, the practice of female genital mutilation is widely accepted as morally permissible within some North African and Middle Eastern societies, albeit not in Western civilisations such as America. From this empirically verifiable observation, we can deduce that, therefore, morality is perhaps RELATIVE and dependent upon cultural, social, individual and societal influences. Note, that this philosophical school of thought is also widely referred to as 'Cultural Relativism'. Remembering this can remind you of what this philosophical standpoint entails.

Objections to this Philosophy are normative or objective considerations about the nature of morality. Some examples are Plato, and Aristotle's objective moral principles of virtue and Hume's Morality of Sympathy. A valuable point to consider is that Moral relativism is in fact a paradox; inferring that morality is relative, is, in a sense, a morally objective statement. It suggests that moral relatively is an objective fact, and thus is an immediate contradiction against the culturally relative standpoint, regarding morality, in which it attempts to perpetuate.

I hope this helps,

Joe

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (155)
18.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (82)
9.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (141)
16.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (119)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.48%
How can I be the best version of myself? (257)
30.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed