The Student Room Group

A-Level choices help

Hi, I'm currently in the process of picking my A-levels and was wondering if anybody has any advice? The options for my sixth form are in blocks so can only pick one off each block. I'm definitely going to take History and English Literature but don't know between Photography or Psychology, and either Drama/Theatre Studies and English Language!
Sorry for the long question haha all help appreciated:smile:
I do psychology and hate it but I think thats because I prefer science subjects like biology and chemistry and hate writing essays. The reason I hate psychology is that I think the amount of study's you have to learn is ridiculous and as I said before I hate writing essays.

Maybe think about what you want to do in the future as a career and look at university websites at the A levels they prefer.

Also look at the subjects past papers and see if you like the way you are assessed. I made the mistake of not researching psychology and realized in my A2 year that I had to write 3 24 mark essays for one exam, which I absolutely hate the idea of. I do psychology AQA A and I seriously would not recommend it, as the amount of things you have to learn is horrible. But you might like it.

Just do some research and I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
disclaimer: I don't take any of these subjects, it's all anecdotal
Photography, like all creative subjects (Drama/Theatre Studies included), take a lot of dedication and coursework. They can be very rewarding, however.
Psychology is very content-heavy, and there is a lot to learn
It's not really advised to take both of the English subjects, because of the similarities between them. Stick with English Lit, and Lang isn't necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by lydiafoof
I do psychology and hate it but I think thats because I prefer science subjects like biology and chemistry and hate writing essays. The reason I hate psychology is that I think the amount of study's you have to learn is ridiculous and as I said before I hate writing essays.

Maybe think about what you want to do in the future as a career and look at university websites at the A levels they prefer.

Also look at the subjects past papers and see if you like the way you are assessed. I made the mistake of not researching psychology and realized in my A2 year that I had to write 3 24 mark essays for one exam, which I absolutely hate the idea of. I do psychology AQA A and I seriously would not recommend it, as the amount of things you have to learn is horrible. But you might like it.

Just do some research and I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Thank-you so much looking at past papers is a really good idea! I really like writing and that is my preferred method of being tested, thank-you for the advice and good luck with your exams:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
disclaimer: I don't take any of these subjects, it's all anecdotal
Photography, like all creative subjects (Drama/Theatre Studies included), take a lot of dedication and coursework. They can be very rewarding, however.
Psychology is very content-heavy, and there is a lot to learn
It's not really advised to take both of the English subjects, because of the similarities between them. Stick with English Lit, and Lang isn't necessary.

Thank-you for your response! I'm really interested in more creative areas so I feel as if that would be appropriate for me, that's also what I was thinking with taking both Lang and Lit, but as I am thinking about going into journalism I was wondering if both would be necessary?
Original post by Lola_2345
Thank-you for your response! I'm really interested in more creative areas so I feel as if that would be appropriate for me, that's also what I was thinking with taking both Lang and Lit, but as I am thinking about going into journalism I was wondering if both would be necessary?

As far as I'm aware, no university requires both English subjects because not all sixth forms offer it (My sixth form doesn't, because I originally wanted to do Eng Lang. I originally settled for Eng Lang/Lit, but switched to Media before my first lesson). As for what you'll need for Journalism, it depends on the uni.

You can look on the search tool of UCAS, but I've got a lil list for you
Portsmouth - No specified subjects, roughly BCC-BBB. Experience preferred
Brighton - No specified subjects, BBB
Brunel - At least one essay subject (Eng Lit, History, etc) preferred. BBB
Sussex - No specified subjects, ABB

University for the Creative Arts - 220 UCAS points, no specified subjects (B grade is 100 points, then it goes either way in increments of 20 points)
University of the Arts, London - 200 UCAS points, no specified subjects
- It's worth pointing out that although UCA and UAL don't require a portfolio for entry onto the course, they are arts universities, and you'll probably need to have good journalism-related extra-curriculars to be considered.
Psychology and English language are more recognised by universities but the choice is yours entirely x
Reply 7
why not go for a science or maths? Unis love both
Reply 8
Original post by loperdoper
As far as I'm aware, no university requires both English subjects because not all sixth forms offer it (My sixth form doesn't, because I originally wanted to do Eng Lang. I originally settled for Eng Lang/Lit, but switched to Media before my first lesson). As for what you'll need for Journalism, it depends on the uni.

You can look on the search tool of UCAS, but I've got a lil list for you
Portsmouth - No specified subjects, roughly BCC-BBB. Experience preferred
Brighton - No specified subjects, BBB
Brunel - At least one essay subject (Eng Lit, History, etc) preferred. BBB
Sussex - No specified subjects, ABB

University for the Creative Arts - 220 UCAS points, no specified subjects (B grade is 100 points, then it goes either way in increments of 20 points)
University of the Arts, London - 200 UCAS points, no specified subjects
- It's worth pointing out that although UCA and UAL don't require a portfolio for entry onto the course, they are arts universities, and you'll probably need to have good journalism-related extra-curriculars to be considered.

This is massively helpful thanks! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by DanyaI
why not go for a science or maths? Unis love both

Maths isn't really what I'm into and although I really like science (particularly Chemistry) I feel as if I would stop liking it at A-level if that makes any sense? I don't want to go through 2 years of subjects that I'm not passionate about and regret not picking more essay/creative based subjects.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest