Stomach Fat Watch

Déscartés
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I've got a bit stomach fat that's in the way of me having a visible 6 pack without tensing. Does anyone have any tips on how i could achieve this? There's no real time limit for this but I would like this to happen before 6th form. Thanks
SOSBrigade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lose weight.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
loose weight is wise advice. Funnily enough there's no other way to have less fat. Read the FAQ sticky if you want to better understand how to do that.
Déscartés
Rep:
?
(Original post by SOSBrigade)
Lose weight.
(Original post by BKS)
loose weight is wise advice. Funnily enough there's no other way to have less fat. Read the FAQ sticky if you want to better understand how to do that.
The problem isn't that I'm fat at all, if anything I'm pretty lean apart from that last little bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
johnny.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you don't build up the muscles you won't have noticeable ab muscles until you get to dangerously low body fat. Try maintaining your weight but add more weight/intensity to your workout. And just eat less fat and more protein/vitamins
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Déscartés)
The problem isn't that I'm fat at all, if anything I'm pretty lean apart from that last little bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You either want to loose it or you don't. There's no such thing as just loosing it from the one place.

Gaining muscle will help but you may find you need to gain some weight to gain muscle then loose some fat which obviously takes longer. Trying to loose fat whilst gaining muscle is difficult so most people who try it achieve nothing
King Boo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Simply start swimming 2-3 times a week, and generally eat less.
Mackx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep spot reduction (targeting body fat in one area by exercising it more frequently) is a myth. Everyones body will store fat in different places and you can't control the body's preference to where it burns fat when you are in a caloric deficit sadly.

If you really want those abs to be visible just steadily maintain a caloric deficit (doesn't need to be massive) over time and you'll get there. This can be achieved by eating less calories, increasing the amount of exercise you do, or a mixture of both.

I'd recommend just upping the amount of cardio you are doing, as eating less is boring (: (unless you're okay with eating cleaner)
Déscartés
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mackx)
Yep spot reduction (targeting body fat in one area by exercising it more frequently) is a myth. Everyones body will store fat in different places and you can't control the body's preference to where it burns fat when you are in a caloric deficit sadly.

If you really want those abs to be visible just steadily maintain a caloric deficit (doesn't need to be massive) over time and you'll get there. This can be achieved by eating less calories, increasing the amount of exercise you do, or a mixture of both.

I'd recommend just upping the amount of cardio you are doing, as eating less is boring (: (unless you're okay with eating cleaner)
Upping my cardio would probably be best for me, I was planning on starting to run after my exams anyway. Tbh I have pretty irregular eating habits so I might have to correct it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zKlown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both Cardio and resistance training.

Maybe 3 cardio sessions a week and 3 resistance training sessions a week.
Sam Walters
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think you understand how low your body fat percentage have to be in order for your abs to be visible.
Déscartés
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam Walters)
I don't think you understand how low your body fat percentage have to be in order for your abs to be visible.
I already have a low fat percentage...

Posted from TSR Mobile
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
But it's evidentially not low enough for visible abs....
Mackx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're low enough body fat so that if you put your arm up to about 90 degrees to your torso and rotate the arm so your thumbs are facing the ground, you can see all 3 heads of your deltoids, then I'd say your in the ballpark of body fat % to start seeing your abs.
Déscartés
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
But it's evidentially not low enough for visible abs....
Tbh like someone said I think my body stores fat in my stomach because I have very little fat elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sam Walters
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just in the single figure bracket at 180cm and 83kg. I don't have visible abs and I wouldn't do until that figure is 6% or so rather than 9/10%

So your low is in fact high relatively speaking.
Sam Walters
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tbh like someone said I think my body stores fat in my stomach because I have very little fat elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What % is it?
Déscartés
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam Walters)
What % is it?
Last time I checked was year 10 and it was 17% which is alright. Since then I've started swimming so it might have decreased or stayed the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Last time I checked was year 10 and it was 17% which is alright. Since then I've started swimming so it might have decreased or stayed the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
10% is the number usually given for proper abs on a man, it varies person to person. So if you weight 75kg you'd be looking at loosing 5kg+

If you don't have much muscle and you go down to 10% then you're going to look really skinny
Déscartés
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
10% is the number usually given for proper abs on a man, it varies person to person. So if you weight 75kg you'd be looking at loosing 5kg+

If you don't have much muscle and you go down to 10% then you're going to look really skinny
I think I'll be alright, I've been told I'm pretty dench for my size. But to burn fat I have to burn more calories than I eat and my thinking is that if I go for a run or a swim I'll be extremely hungry and and put the effort in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
32.85%
No (70)
51.09%
Don't know (22)
16.06%

Watched Threads