The Student Room Group

Going from okay aesthetically, to scarred and skinny.

Hey there,

If you take a quick look at my pictures, you may see that I used to exercise a bit and looked reasonably okay physically. That was before a motorbike crash last year, through which I've lost weight, lost the use if my left arm so that's deteriorated, and I have 25 large scars from a splenectomy, BPI nerve transfer, open elbow and leg fractures etc. And as shallow as it seems, I've actually lost a lot of confidence. A girl who I've known for years won't touch me now. I really want to work out again, but as I can only exercise my right side, it doesn't provide the same release anymore. I'm struggling with confidence because I'm not much to look at without exercise. Would you have any advise or thoughts? Thank you for any replies.
Reply 1
Original post by Ridingmyego
Hey there,

If you take a quick look at my pictures, you may see that I used to exercise a bit and looked reasonably okay physically. That was before a motorbike crash last year, through which I've lost weight, lost the use if my left arm so that's deteriorated, and I have 25 large scars from a splenectomy, BPI nerve transfer, open elbow and leg fractures etc. And as shallow as it seems, I've actually lost a lot of confidence. A girl who I've known for years won't touch me now. I really want to work out again, but as I can only exercise my right side, it doesn't provide the same release anymore. I'm struggling with confidence because I'm not much to look at without exercise. Would you have any advise or thoughts? Thank you for any replies.

I'd say go for a different look, different people look better in different things...I'm a skinny and reasonably tall, longish haired 12 year old look-a-like, so I play with my clothes to suit me...you could do the same, I go with skinny jeans, converse, slightly baggy teas and usually over sized jumpers or shirts, so I have like a lil indie look or idk...try it out, just cause you know you looked good that way doesn't mean you won't look good another way........if that made any sense
Original post by Dasher00
I'd say go for a different look, different people look better in different things...I'm a skinny and reasonably tall, longish haired 12 year old look-a-like, so I play with my clothes to suit me...you could do the same, I go with skinny jeans, converse, slightly baggy teas and usually over sized jumpers or shirts, so I have like a lil indie look or idk...try it out, just cause you know you looked good that way doesn't mean you won't look good another way........if that made any sense

Ahh I see, like give other styles a go? That's a great idea, cos I've never really been into clothes so it's about time I gave them some attention. I may try jumpers and baggy jeans :smile: thanks!
Reply 3
Welcome man!!
Original post by Ridingmyego
Hey there,

Didnt the Drs recommend trying to do light exercises on your left arm which may help to build the strength etc back? Im skinny myself tbh I wear clothes that are sort of tight round my upper body as you can be skinny but tonned and still look good, you can still workout your chest area. I dunno man its all about confidence I often get hench guys look at me flexing their muscles pretending they are so muscular their arms cant touch their sides. I will litterally stare them down an give the impression that Im bigger and badder. I find people who go to the gym and get hench arw usually insecure and think muscles means they can finally feel better than others.. these are the weakest people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're good looking. I'd say you suit skinny.
Original post by Twinpeaks
You're good looking. I'd say you suit skinny.

You think so? :O Skinnyness is my natural state, if I can get used to it and feel more confident then I'll hopefully get some vain happiness back. Thank you for saying so :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest