The Student Room Group

Can you apply for accommodation before getting your grades?

If you get a conditional offer from your 1st choice uni, could you apply for accommodation before you get your grades if you're very confident of meeting them?
Reply 1
If you are applying for university halls then it is actually usual to apply for accommodation ahead of results day. The universities concerned (almost always your firm and very commonly your insurance) will generally prompt you to do so but you may have to check up on deadlines etc. Should you fail to get your grades (but that's not going to happen ok :biggrin: ?) then your application for accommodation will just nullify. Actually that should be should you fail to get accepted as you can miss your grades but still be accepted. If you miss your grades but still get accepted then accommodation can get more complicated but generally you'll be found somewhere.

However

If you apply for accommodation with a private landlord in a private house for example and sign a contract you will likely be financially bound to that irrespective of you going to that uni or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Oh wow, I didn't know that, thanks. It's halls my daughter wants to stay in.

My daughter is waiting on 1 offer (which is her 1st choice), and it just came in (but the bloody UCAS Track site is down till Monday so she can't see the offer till then!)

I gather from your post that once she gets that offer and picks her firm and insurance choices, they may well contact her about halls? How long will that contact take do you think?

Thanks
Reply 3
They will likely contact her soon after she accepts her firm and insurance. Be sure to check all points of contact and mail boxes including junk mail as sometimes important emails get labelled as junk mail by the filter.

It would be a good idea to check the specific university websites re their accommodation policies and deadlines for application etc. If in doubt contact the accommodation offices directly.

Best of luck to her :smile:
Reply 4
She managed to log in to Track (despite it saying it was down till tomorrow) and her offer is from her 1st choice uni, and it's conditions she's pretty sure she can meet.

She now had 4 of the 5 offers, and the 5th one is one she definitely doesn't want, so she's going to reject it. I assume this will then allow her to pick firm and insurance
Reply 5
Yes it will but it is worth visiting any unis under consideration again as they generally have a post offer visit day. It's a bit like house viewing your opinion can change somewhat on a second look. Bear in mind your daughter will be spending 3 or more years there so it is a big investment in her time and effort, best to be sure.
Reply 6
Actually just reading University of Stirling's web site and it says clearly you must have either an unconditional offer or meet your conditions before starting the application process. Therefore she won't be able to apply until results day :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by MoodyM
Actually just reading University of Stirling's web site and it says clearly you must have either an unconditional offer or meet your conditions before starting the application process. Therefore she won't be able to apply until results day :frown:

Well at least the vast majority will be in the same boat so she won't be at a disadvantage. All the more reason to go back if you get another chance of a visit and look over what is available so come results day she'll know exactly what she wants to apply for.

I realised different places had different procedures it's just unfortunate you can't have this chore done ahead of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending