Little_ramblings
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm sitting the AQA specification C in May which is 'Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature'. I'm answering the Owen Sheers poetry section which I'm fine with and willing to help anyone that's struggling.
But I'm really struggling with Section A. We've gone over it in class once and I still have no idea how to answer it. I've done a couple of wider reading texts but I feel like I should do more. I've looked at some past papers and just got really confused as I have absolutely no idea.:eek::confused:
Does anyone have any tips for structure or what to include?
And also, can you use set coursework texts as wider reading?
Flowerkins96
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ok so you structure your exam answer like an essay:

Intro- identify the context, what is the form, structure and language used, and what is the text showing is the struggle for identity (e.g. gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc)

Main body: here start identifying how language/form/structure is used to present the struggle for identity and if it is effective, and if it is why, and at this point you need to start referring to the wider reading. When talking about the reading, discuss the context and say how the context affects how it is represented in the wider reading text, and again talking about language form and structure, and then compare and contrast with the exam text.

With wider reading I highly recommend that if you can, write about at least 1 play, poem and book as it's 10% of your marks.
Also it might be wise to link at least one wider reading text with a similar struggle for identity into your exam (e.g. if the exam text was about the Holocaust in nazi Germany, you might write about Anne Frank's diary)

And then conclude and link this all back to the struggle for identity and round it all up, etc. Conclude, basically.
Also you should practice exam questions a lot, so then you can practice timing and essay writing and bringing in the wider reading.
I hope this helped
Little_ramblings
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Flowerkins96)
ok so you structure your exam answer like an essay:

Intro- identify the context, what is the form, structure and language used, and what is the text showing is the struggle for identity (e.g. gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc)

Main body: here start identifying how language/form/structure is used to present the struggle for identity and if it is effective, and if it is why, and at this point you need to start referring to the wider reading. When talking about the reading, discuss the context and say how the context affects how it is represented in the wider reading text, and again talking about language form and structure, and then compare and contrast with the exam text.

With wider reading I highly recommend that if you can, write about at least 1 play, poem and book as it's 10% of your marks.
Also it might be wise to link at least one wider reading text with a similar struggle for identity into your exam (e.g. if the exam text was about the Holocaust in nazi Germany, you might write about Anne Frank's diary)

And then conclude and link this all back to the struggle for identity and round it all up, etc. Conclude, basically.
Also you should practice exam questions a lot, so then you can practice timing and essay writing and bringing in the wider reading.
I hope this helped
Thank you so much!! That's so helpful 😊
Flowerkins96
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little_ramblings)
Thank you so much!! That's so helpful ������
It's ok

I also forgot to add that you can use the set texts for wider reading, however I wouldn't depend on them too much. Only use them as a back up plan, if you've forgotten everything from wider reading.

If you need anymore help feel free to private message me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (663)
49.33%

Watched Threads