M1 question which is probably really simple

Watch
sanaa.s
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
just in a bit of a pickle with the question any help would be much appreciated ;

Two particles P and Q have masses 0.1 kg and 0.5 kg respectively. The particles are attached to the ends of a light inextensible string. Particle P is held at rest on a rough horizontal table. The string lies along the table and passes over a small smooth pulley which is fixed to the edge of the table. Particle Q is at rest on a smooth plane which is inclined to the horizontal at an angle θ, where tan θ = 4/3.The string lies in the vertical plane which contains the pulley and a line of greatest slope of the inclined plane, as shown in Figure 2. Particle P is released from rest with the string taut. During the first 0.5 s of the motion P does not reach the pulley and Q moves 0.75 m down the plane.
(a) Find the tension in the string during the first 0.5 s of the motion.
Attached files
ben789
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well to start I would draw a diagram labelling all the forces on the particle such as tension, friction (as it's a rough plane), weight, normal force ect.

Then you can resolve in the direction of motion to find the tension in the string (which will be the same for both particles as you are dealing with a light inextensible string)
braindead1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
May I know what the answer is supposed to be if you have the answers? I've got an answer but I'm not sure of it
sanaa.s
Rep:
?
(Original post by ben789)
Well to start I would draw a diagram labelling all the forces on the particle such as tension, friction (as it's a rough plane), weight, normal force ect.

Then you can resolve in the direction of motion to find the tension in the string (which will be the same for both particles as you are dealing with a light inextensible string)

I've tried that and found an answer I'm just not vey confident in it but thanks anyway
sanaa.s
Rep:
?
(Original post by braindead1997)
May I know what the answer is supposed to be if you have the answers? I've got an answer but I'm not sure of it
I can't seem to find the answer sorry, but if you tell me what answer you got and I can compare it to mine
braindead1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which book did you get this question from or is it a past paper question? I got a o.924... doesn't sound likely to be the answer... that's the problem...
sanaa.s
Rep:
?
(Original post by braindead1997)
Which book did you get this question from or is it a past paper question? I got a o.924... doesn't sound likely to be the answer... that's the problem...
Pearson Edexcel
International Advanced Level

Mechanics M1
Advanced/Advanced Subsidiary
Wednesday 22 January 2014

​I know what you mean.. I got 0.053
braindead1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh... I found the mark schemes for the paper and the answer is 0.92... Here's the link... check 6th question... if you need help for the solving feel free to ask me... http://www.mediafire.com/view/jro8kc...c_20140306.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (635)
41.34%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise