Queen Mary Biomedical Offer Holder 2015

Watch this thread
QMULapplicant
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I have firmed my offer for QM, and I was womdering if any current students could tell me how much time the average QM Biomedical Science student spends on the White Chapel Campus, do you have to go there much for lectures etc or are you mainly on the Mile End campus? Thank you
bntanyax
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Hi

I am a first year biomed student at Queen Mary.
So this year, we only had 2 days a week in the first semester when we had to be at the Whitechapel campus.
I don't have any there this semester.

But for second and third years, we will be getting a few sessions with medical students, so will be at the Whitechapel campus more often.
For this year, I had one module being lectured a day (sometimes less) so I there was no reason to need to run back to the Mile end campus for another lecture straight after.

Most of you lectures will be on the mile end campus - guaranteed!
If you have any more questions, just ask
Shakir786
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bntanyax)
Hi

So this year, we only had 2 days a week in the first semester when we had to be at the Whitechapel campus.

But for second and third years, we will be getting a few sessions with medical students, so will be at the Whitechapel campus more often.
For this year, I had one module being lectured a day (sometimes less) so I there was no reason to need to run back to the Mile end campus for another lecture straight after.

i'm firmed too, please could you show what your timetable looks like and the sort of work you do?
bntanyax
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shakir786)
i'm firmed too, please could you show what your timetable looks like and the sort of work you do?
Ok, so I don't know how big this image appears, but it is one of my weeks in the first semester.
Basically, we have 8 modules for the whole year.
4.5 are completed in sem1, and 3.5 in sem2 (they split up a module). All modules have two hours of lectures per week (= ~ 8 hours of lectures)- most will be on the same day e.g. Mondays are Microbiology, Tuesdays are Cells, etc...

Wednesdays are allocated for tutorials (boring) for 1 hour OR workshops. Some Wednesdays are even free - you will very rarely have anything scheduled for the afternoon.

My Modules this year:
The Human Cell
Microbiology (for humans)
Chromosomes and Gene Functions
Human Anatomy
*Essential Skills for Biomedical Scientists*
Biomedical Physiology
Tissue Biology
Biomolecules of life (biochemistry)

* Essential Skills is split over the two semesters and is not lab based, unlike the others. This one is essay skills, diagnosis (one of my first assignments!) MATHS (yes, they make you do maths. All that standard deviation stuff and stats etc...)

Human Anatomy, you get to dissect dead bodies within a month of joining the uni!! It's really hands on stuff! You have practicals for ALL modules as well.

If you would like any more info, just let me know.

BTW: my second semester weeks are a lot less full of lectures so you get more free time.
Attached files
Hlrk
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
I've also firmed QMUL, I was just wondering how much group work/lab work you do and if speaking is part of your final grade? Thanks
QMULapplicant
Rep:
Hi

Thanks, this is really helpful to know where I'll be, I get lost very easily so I was worried about finding my way round white chapel
bntanyax
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hlrk)
Hi,
I've also firmed QMUL, I was just wondering how much group work/lab work you do and if speaking is part of your final grade? Thanks
Ok, so there are 8 modules. 7 of these have 2 hours of lectures a week. These 7 modules have 3 or 4 practicals each:
Term 1: Human cell = 4 pracs. Top 3 marks count towards grade
Microbiology= 3 praca. All count towards grade
Anatomy= 4 pracs. Top 3
Human cell= 4 pracs. Top 3

Term 2: All 3 modules have 4 pracs and top 3 count

Essential Skills module uses assignments: 3000 word essays, rewording research etc...
Speaking would start in second year and wont contribute much to your grade, in third year, will contribute more. There is a little group work in first year (making posters that are graded) and the amount increases as the course progresses.

Hope this helps
bntanyax
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by QMULapplicant)
Thanks, this is really helpful to know where I'll be, I get lost very easily so I was worried about finding my way round white chapel
I was worried about that as well. Getting to Whitechapel campus is easy as you only walk down the main mile end road. I would use the campus map online - I still don't know where half of the places are on that campus!
We only use the one lecture theatre in Whitechapel for the first year but its really easy to find.
corey7695
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I have firmed my offer for QM, and I was womdering if any current students could tell me how much time the average QM Biomedical Science student spends on the White Chapel Campus, do you have to go there much for lectures etc or are you mainly on the Mile End campus? Thank you
what is the offer if you don't mind me asking? Im thinking of applying too
QMULapplicant
Rep:
(Original post by corey7695)
what is the offer if you don't mind me asking? Im thinking of applying too
It's ABB, I think with an A level in biology (and it includes general studies etc...)
QMULapplicant
Rep:
I was worried about that as well. Getting to Whitechapel campus is easy as you only walk down the main mile end road. I would use the campus map online - I still don't know where half of the places are on that campus!
We only use the one lecture theatre in Whitechapel for the first year but its really easy to find.
Oh good Also, what would you suggest I bring for each module, would a lever arch file fit the work for one modules worth of both notes and revision? So therefore bring 8 lever arch files for 8 modules, or should I bring more? Thank you
bntanyax
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Oh good Also, what would you suggest I bring for each module, would a lever arch file fit the work for one modules worth of both notes and revision? So therefore bring 8 lever arch files for 8 modules, or should I bring more? Thank you
I was all 'lever arch file' at first, but found that they were quite bulky. If you were to use them, have one for each module. It feels rubbish carrying around a load of stuff about human anatomy when your only module for that day is microbiology.
But a lever arch file will definately fit all lecture notes and are pretty good to sort out. As long as you're willing to carry it around with you. It's unlikely that you will have two different modules of lectures a day so you'll only need to carry the one around. But yeah, definately one file per module. When you get to creating revision notes, you may want a separate folder to put all of those together so all of your revision is in one place.

I use 7 expanding files (each with 12 separations). There are 12 weeks in a semester and so it's really easy to to organise. The final module: Essential skills, you could probably get away with just using an exercise book because there really aren't many lectures for that at all.

Hope this helps!! -
btw.. a tip: revise as you go along. They tell you this right at the beginning of the year but very few do it (including me!) Make sure you write up your notes soon after the lecture so that you don't get a backlog in March/April.
Notes made in the lecture are often not enough because:
1. They speak WAY too fast (Human Anatomy is a killer!)
2. You probably won't be able to read them
So make sure you have a proper look and make notes on stuff thats actually on the slides after. DO NOT TRY COPYING STUFF OFF THE SLIDES DURING THE LECTURE!! I've tried and you just miss important information. Write down the key points the lecturer says and add to it after. They always make the lecture slides available via the online QMPlus System (you'll get access in September)

Happy to answer any more questions!!
arbaaz sayed
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the info
Im a current offer holder too, and i just wanted to know all about your impressions of the biomedical science course at queen Mary, could you tell us abit about your expectations and how the course turned out to be, and the good and bad things about the course at queen mary.
daniaq
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi I'm an offer holder too. Don't know if I should firm here kings or Georges. Any advice on why queen mary? Thanks
bntanyax
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by arbaaz sayed)
Thanks for the info
Im a current offer holder too, and i just wanted to know all about your impressions of the biomedical science course at queen Mary, could you tell us abit about your expectations and how the course turned out to be, and the good and bad things about the course at queen mary.

Ok, so the course turned out to be so much better than I thought it would be. Firstly, the course is IBMS accredited, meaning you can work in a hospital straight after, if you decide biomedical science is the career pathway for you.
Secondly, the course allows you to explore all the different areas of science within the first year. Most of the stuff is medicine based i.e. you'll know about a lot of diseases and their symptoms by the end of the year. If your interested about learning about the diseases themselves and how they are caused, this course does it.
Thirdly, you get to dissect human cadavers (bodies) within the first month of joining... how hands on is that!?

There are so many more reasons but I just can't think of them... Only a few issues: like there being so little accommodation and the fact that so many people at the beginning of the year are a bit uptight because all the wannabe medics want to be in that top 20. Otherwise.. it's great! Some lecturers are easier to talk to than others. Some of them expect you to treat them as if it were a teacher-student relationship and others like the casual first name terms. Another issue I find (but you find it at nearly all unis) is that all lecturers encourage you to ask questions, but you get the odd few who do this, and answer the question as if it were the most stupid question to ask ever.. so I kind of just keep my mouth shut and google it!

For my whole life, up until the beginning of year 13, I wanted to study medicine. I had my whole life planned out when I was 6 years old. Then I got my predicted grades after my AS exams and AAB wasn't going to cut it for any medical school, so I made the tough decision to apply only for biomed. It was the best decision I ever made I think.. especially choosing Queen Mary.

Hope this answers your queries.If not, just say!
Eloise_027
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I've firmed my offer for biomed at QM, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me how big the lecture, seminar and practical groups are? And if possible, how many people per year are actually on the biomed course? I'm curious about the uptake, because there's obviously that top 20 thing for the medical school, and I thought if it would be a small group it might get kind of unpleasantly competitive, especially for the people who have no interest in switching to medicine.
arbaaz sayed
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
i believe the top 15 are guaranteed an interview based upon performance in the first two years, and the intake is over 200 so it shouldnt be particularly competitive throughout. Also a high proportion of the students get a first and 2:1 (33% get a first and like over 60% get a 2:!) according to unistats so i guess although it may be slightly competitive you should be fine
arbaaz sayed
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
sorry its 46% who got a 2:! but yeah, it shouldnt affect anything, as long as you work hard you should do well.
Eloise_027
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Thank you! That makes me feel much better
Shakir786
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's ABB, I think with an A level in biology (and it includes general studies etc...)
Do they include geneal studies?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (70)
66.67%
No (26)
24.76%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.57%

Watched Threads