The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

alcohol and psychiatric medication

How safe is this?

It's sunday night so I can't call my shrink or a pharmacist but I fancy some vodka and lemonade. I haven't drank any alcohol in over a year now but sometimes it's just what you feel like, ya know?

I tried googling and it says to avoid alcohol but doesn't say what the effect would be. :confused:

Cheers!
What meds are you on? I drink with no more than the usual ill-effects, and am on clomipramine (antidepressant) and aripiprazole (antipsychotic). Some people on some drugs will react badly (getting drunk quicker, getting 'messy' drunk, blacking out etc.), and I have one friend who's on antidepressants and can't even have a sip of alcohol without getting an instant hangover.

Really though you won't know until you've tried it, so if you fancy a drink just take it slowly, and maybe make sure there's someone around who can look after you should you really need it. :smile:

Enjoy! :cheers:
Reply 2
Generally those on anti-physcotic medication cannot consume alcohol, if you give me the exact drug you are on I will be able to tell you more.
Reply 3
Original post by superwolf
What meds are you on? I drink with no more than the usual ill-effects, and am on clomipramine (antidepressant) and aripiprazole (antipsychotic). Some people on some drugs will react badly (getting drunk quicker, getting 'messy' drunk, blacking out etc.), and I have one friend who's on antidepressants and can't even have a sip of alcohol without getting an instant hangover.

Really though you won't know until you've tried it, so if you fancy a drink just take it slowly, and maybe make sure there's someone around who can look after you should you really need it. :smile:

Enjoy! :cheers:

Thanks.

I know you shouldn't drink if you've taken paracetamol as it harms your liver irreversibly I was more worried about that than getting drunk quickly or having a hangover.

Original post by mk4eva
Generally those on anti-physcotic medication cannot consume alcohol, if you give me the exact drug you are on I will be able to tell you more.

Haloperidol and mirtazapine.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks.

I know you shouldn't drink if you've taken paracetamol as it harms your liver irreversibly I was more worried about that than getting drunk quickly or having a hangover.

Haloperidol and mirtazapine.

Not heard of any interactions like that with those drugs, :nah: just the ones I've already mentioned. :smile: If you speak to a doctor they'll usually 'advise against' mixing them with alcohol, but to my mind it's one of those common sense things rather than a blanket ban to be totally obeyed. :tongue:
Hey, don't take mirtazapine with alcohol; it's a NaSSa, and so could kill you.
Haloperidol is okay to take with but extremely dangerous if you're drunk; it is however safe if you're sensible.
Reply 6
Original post by Periodicm8
Hey, don't take mirtazapine with alcohol; it's a NaSSa, and so could kill you.
Haloperidol is okay to take with but extremely dangerous if you're drunk; it is however safe if you're sensible.

Shouldn't that be something a doctor should have sorta told me? :tongue:

Only if it's true. :wink:
Reply 8

I drank on mirtazapine for around five months in what could be described as excessive quantities. Watch for it making you sleepy but I'm not dead yet so I would say your probably fine on that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Valvopus
I drank on mirtazapine for around five months in what could be described as excessive quantities. Watch for it making you sleepy but I'm not dead yet so I would say your probably fine on that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay for not being dead! :five:
Original post by Raiden10
You could take lactobacilus rhamnosus, B vitamins and vitamin D etc, stop eating like crap, eat brightly coloured veggies, nuts, mushrooms, olive oil, get at least 30 minutes exercise every day that leaves you out of breath. Then have a few cold beers with mates.

Or, you could take nasty drugs like abilify.

Funny how you assume so much about my life and what I do or don't do simply based on the medication I take.
Original post by Valvopus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reassurance. I just poured myself some grapefruit absolut with lemonade. Let's hope I don't die. :beer:
Don't know if this will be of any help, but I would have loved to have had this thread exist when I was having those questions. I was on propranolol for many months, and was told that I was not to mix alcohol with this medication. I went out and did it anyway (being the stubborn teen I am) and what i noticed was that it made me feel so nauseous. I later found out it is because propranolol (as i am sure is the same with others) is a timed release medication meaning that it releases a steady and equal amount of drugs within 24 hours. If alcohol was drunk then this medication would be released into my bloodstream faster and at a higher amount that usual, making me sick and generally not being good for my body. Hope this helps!
Don't know if this will be of any help, but I would have loved to have had this thread exist when I was having those questions. I was on propranolol for many months, and was told that I was not to mix alcohol with this medication. I went out and did it anyway (being the stubborn teen I am) and what i noticed was that it made me feel so nauseous. I later found out it is because propranolol (as i am sure is the same with others) is a timed release medication meaning that it releases a steady and equal amount of drugs within 24 hours. If alcohol was drunk then this medication would be released into my bloodstream faster and at a higher amount that usual, making me sick and generally not being good for my body. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input :smile:

I don't know how long the medication I'm on takes to release into my bloodstream, I know like quetiapine XL is meant to last for many hours but I'm on haloperidol 2 times a day so I guess it doesn't stick around as long.

UPDATE: I drank 1/3 of the bottle of vodka and feel extremely dizzy and drunk. I haven't died but I'm definitely feeling this more than I think I would have done before starting the medication.

Latest