Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - anyone played it?

Watch
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm really interested, having never played a Monster Hunter before. Does it have a large over world to explore? (which I would like)

Just wondering how it all pans out... I.e. is it anything like a dumbed down Shadow of the Colossus?!
knight_priestess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is REALLY good!!!!!!!!!!! My brother is playing and I saw the game play! AWESOME doesn't even describe it!
knight_priestess
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Shadow of the Colossus is just incredible and one of my favorite games. Monsters Hunter is not as elaborated in the story line at all. It's more of an addiction of raising levels of weapons and fighting awesome monsters but its worth it.
SnipyShino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Gotta agree with Knight_Priestess. Could easily be GOTY on 3DS by a long shot.
Awesome doesn't describe it well enough
SnipyShino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, here's a more thought out review.

So firstly, the game is japanese (capcom) so expect very japanese things in the game. If you're one of those "weeaboo hater" types then you probably wont like MH4u.
The game has a mission system, so you spend your time hanging around a village and talking to the locals before setting off on a hunt.
There's a lot of monsters, like, tons of them. So don't expect to complete the game in the first week of ownership.

I'll start with my favourite thing, since it's what makes the game somewhat unique. You don't level up to get better, your prowess in the game is entirely dependant on your actual skills and if it's your first time then you'll have to practice hunting the big monsters. The main things to look out for are the body language and appearance of your target.
By that I mean "Did that dragon just inhale deeply and step back, it's probably about to breath fire at me and I should move it" or alternatively "Has it exhausted itself and stopped to take a breath, better attack it quick" and the newest feature to MH games "Is there a ledge above it I can jump from?" because that means you can actually rodeo the monster and do some serious damage.
As for the body language and appearance, they're pretty self explanatory. If it's limping, it's probably got very low hp. If it's had its scales smashed to peices, tail severed, horns removed. It's probably got very very low hp.

The world is pretty huge, made up of lots of zones that you transition between (since open world would be too big for a poor little 3ds, there's about 16 different ecosystems all with their own set of monsters, plants, bugs and whatever; one of the cool things is that certain monsters will appear more at certain times than others because of mating seasons etc)
I'm not sure how familiar you are with games in the MH series, but since you haven't played one before I'll go over the stuff in MH4u. You rank up as you take on harder missions, higher rank will allow you to take more difficult ones in the future. So completing the game for most people is just reaching the highest rank and clearing every boss battle.
There's a lot of items, considering there are 14 different classes to play and every monster will drop the specific materials to make whatever weapon type you choose. In other words for every monster, there is a weapon and set of armor you can make out of it. So for some people (the item horders like me :P) completing the game might be crafting everything there is on offer. On top of that there's a lot of items you can make to help with the hunts, stuff like potions basically but you can make traps and bombs too.

That pretty much sums it up, feel free to ask any other questions.
jamiep151
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The game is fantastic and as someone who has played the series since monster hunter on ps2 I can say this is by far the most beginner friendly edition.

This is not an open world game, there are several villages you will go to as you advance in the story and you will be given quests in these villages which you have to do (they are often slay 1 X or to capture 2 Y). Once you accept and set off on a quest you will go to 1 of 8 or so maps which are different to each other and each have 12 different areas.

To experience gameplay I would recommend downloading the demo you have a choice of 3 different quests which will show you what gameplay is like and what the maps are like.

The way the game develops is you unlock harder and harder quests as you rank up and unlock new monsters which allows you to make stronger gear. However there is no stats that you increase to make yourself stronger your actually ability is what matters the whole way.

There are also separate online quests where you can hunt with up to 3 other people online which is a very different experience to solo play and can let you make stronger gear if you are struggling as hunter are much easier with 4 people.

I would recommend grabbing the demo off the nintendo store and see what you think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.64%
I'm not sure (54)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.98%
I'm not a current university student (570)
48.51%

Watched Threads