username848676
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I have two quick questions

Question 1: does the NHS also pay for Year 0 on the extended Nursing BSc Degrees (plus the other stuff, i.e. maintenance grant, etc)?

Question 2: Are you eligible to apply for Student Finance England for a loan if you're studying for a BSc Hons Nursing Degree as your second Undergraduate Degree? (non-nursing related, not a second nursing degree, first one was in Sociology/Social Sciences).

I'm asking this as I heard Nursing courses are an exception to the previous study rules so your previous degree would not affect your eligibility to NHS funding and Student Finance funding (Maintenance loan only).

Any information regarding the NHS Bursaries, SFE and Nursing degrees/second degree would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there.

For NHS funded courses the NHS would fund the fees and we would offer a reduced rate of maintenance loan only, even if this is studied as a second degree.

To check specifically what the NHS fund you would need to contact them directly.

Thanks.
username848676
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
Hi there.

For NHS funded courses the NHS would fund the fees and we would offer a reduced rate of maintenance loan only, even if this is studied as a second degree.

To check specifically what the NHS fund you would need to contact them directly.

Thanks.
Hi Mark

Here's another question/inquiry

I've had 1 years previous study in 2011 from SFE. I've had another last Year (Higher National Certificate), and I have had this years (Higher National Diploma) (Year 2 equivalent).

This means I am left with 1 additional Year from SFE (as they have told me) - could I then hypothetically use this for a Year 0 (Foundation Year) of a 4 Year Nursing Undergraduate Degree if I chose to instead of progressing/topping up to a Final year of a UG Degree? As the NHS only pays from Year 1 onward.

Just speaking hypothetical here.

Thanks in advance Mark,

Regards
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi again.

As the course is NHS the normal previous study rules do not apply to the years your funded by them. If the year 0 is not funded by the NHS then you will be able to get the funding for that year so long as the rest are funded by NHS.

Thanks.
username848676
Rep:
?
Hi again.

As the course is NHS the normal previous study rules do not apply to the years your funded by them. If the year 0 is not funded by the NHS then you will be able to get the funding for that year so long as the rest are funded by NHS.

Thanks.
Hi

Are you saying that SFE would pay Year 0 irregardless of previous study? As the Year 0 is not funded by the NHS (as I have contacted them)

Thanks and have a great day.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes that is correct.

Thanks
username848676
Rep:
?
Yes that is correct.

Thanks
Hi Mark - does the same rules apply for the Undergraduate Degree in Social Work in terms of SFE funding? As they do not receive full tuition fee funding from the NHS.

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (129)
29.86%
No (303)
70.14%

Watched Threads