The Student Room Group

Politics A Level-good or bad idea?

I'm in year 10 currently and thinking about a levels. I am wondering whether or not I should consider taking a level government and politics. I am not specifically looking to go into the world of politics but it seems like an interesting qualification to gain.

For students studying currently or those who have done so in the past, is this a valuable qualification? How hard is it?

Scroll to see replies

Economics is probably a better bet, some of my friends did it and they said it bored them to death, but then again, everyone is different. The question to ask yourself is .. can you see yourself in a years time studying 3+ hours a day to achieve an A* ... if you want to take an interesting A-level take physics and then accompany that with maths. Trust me, if you acquire an interest in your A-level study material ... you will achieve very high marks in all tests you take.
Politics is good, there are of course some boring days, but all in all it is interesting and it is a good qualification as the world revolves around politics. I'm studying it now and I get enjoyment in understanding what they're always talking about on the news.

The only advice i would give is, know what your strengths are, if you're not good at writing long paragraphs and writing non stop, you should consider something else.
I would highly recommend it. It's such an interesting subject which really makes you reevaluate the world around you. It's also by no means the hardest a level you can take, and yet it still retains a great deal of value in terms of university applications. Last year it was the subject I put the least revision into and I got 100% in both exams. As long as you're prepared to read the news to get recent examples and just about learn the content, you can easily achieve a high grade in it.
Reply 4
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
I would highly recommend it. It's such an interesting subject which really makes you reevaluate the world around you. It's also by no means the hardest a level you can take, and yet it still retains a great deal of value in terms of university applications. Last year it was the subject I put the least revision into and I got 100% in both exams. As long as you're prepared to read the news to get recent examples and just about learn the content, you can easily achieve a high grade in it.

How the hell did you do that?

My exams are in June and I know nothing? How did you revise or are you just smart?
Original post by Hephzi.mcb
I'm in year 10 currently and thinking about a levels. I am wondering whether or not I should consider taking a level government and politics. I am not specifically looking to go into the world of politics but it seems like an interesting qualification to gain.

For students studying currently or those who have done so in the past, is this a valuable qualification? How hard is it?

Politics is a really interesting subject - I strongly recommend it (and I'm not looking to go into the world of politics either). It probably helps that I have great teachers, but I've learned a lot and it's rarely boring. Before I took politics, I had a vague idea of which party I supported, but that was it - now I'm interested in the political process, and I'm annoyed I can't vote in the next election!
Original post by xxvine
How the hell did you do that?

My exams are in June and I know nothing? How did you revise or are you just smart?

Well, I had a great teacher who taught in a way which set you up for the exams- structuring powerpoints like exam answers and that kind of thing. I did do revision, by writing down facts again and again. And I read the news! Also, I only revised two topics for the first paper instead of 3. As it was my fourth subject I put the least effort into it, and just happened to get the joint highest score overall. (For the other subject I did loads of revision, btw. I don't have a photographic memory). I have always got high grades, but I can't get away with no revision or anything. If you start some revision now you have plenty of time. :smile:
Reply 7
Well, I had a great teacher who taught in a way which set you up for the exams- structuring powerpoints like exam answers and that kind of thing. I did do revision, by writing down facts again and again. And I read the news! Also, I only revised two topics for the first paper instead of 3. As it was my fourth subject I put the least effort into it, and just happened to get the joint highest score overall. (For the other subject I did loads of revision, btw. I don't have a photographic memory). I have always got high grades, but I can't get away with no revision or anything. If you start some revision now you have plenty of time. :smile:

Haha you comes across as smart:biggrin:
Yeah Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams are in the first week of June so i have like two a half months to revise:frown:

I guess I am going to learn Democracy and Elections and squeeze in pressure groups if I can?
With regards to the news...you talking about BBC news and the 2015 election?
I enjoy politics a lot. I would deffo pic it. I fond it really interesting and some days can be meh but then you get days with loads of heated discussions and debates and they are really good! It also helps you understand how everything works a whole lot better. Like now when i watch the news with my family i end up explaining random things and i enjoy it :innocent:

Plus, the exams are fact based and as long as you know your stuff and loads of examples for and against you'll be absolutely fine! :biggrin: and im pretty sure unis don't mind it :smile:
Original post by xxvine
Haha you comes across as smart:biggrin:
Yeah Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams are in the first week of June so i have like two a half months to revise:frown:

I guess I am going to learn Democracy and Elections and squeeze in pressure groups if I can?
With regards to the news...you talking about BBC news and the 2015 election?

The thing with getting high marks in politics is having modern examples so I read the newspaper pretty much everyday, and then if I was revising and didn't have an example I looked it up. This is more important for the Pressure Groups unit so if you're going to avoid that one you don't need to be quite so example heavy. But you definitely need stats for the 2015 elections (poor you, we had the 2010 ones from the start, it's kind of unlucky being in an election year).
Reply 10
The thing with getting high marks in politics is having modern examples so I read the newspaper pretty much everyday, and then if I was revising and didn't have an example I looked it up. This is more important for the Pressure Groups unit so if you're going to avoid that one you don't need to be quite so example heavy. But you definitely need stats for the 2015 elections (poor you, we had the 2010 ones from the start, it's kind of unlucky being in an election year).

So true

sucks so hard for me? How did you do with exam technique?
Original post by xxvine
So true

sucks so hard for me? How did you do with exam technique?

Exam technique was ok. Timing was the main issue but as long as you're strict with yourself (practice :smile: ) in the exam it shouldn't be a problem. We got given a structure for how to write essays. Intro: idea/ quote/ fact, open up the argument, Paras: Debate point, counterpoint to point at end of paragraph (evaluation marks), Next para, repeat. Conclusion: DON'T sit on the fence or introduce any new points. State key weakness of opposing view and main strength of your argument. It should reflect the rest of your essay- the examiner should be able to guess your conclusion before they read it.
I picked up politics as a random AS in my second year of college and now I'm studying it at university, I love it. It's such a great subject, it shows how the world is run and why things that seem so obvious do not work.
Reply 13
Exam technique was ok. Timing was the main issue but as long as you're strict with yourself (practice :smile: ) in the exam it shouldn't be a problem. We got given a structure for how to write essays. Intro: idea/ quote/ fact, open up the argument, Paras: Debate point, counterpoint to point at end of paragraph (evaluation marks), Next para, repeat. Conclusion: DON'T sit on the fence or introduce any new points. State key weakness of opposing view and main strength of your argument. It should reflect the rest of your essay- the examiner should be able to guess your conclusion before they read it.

May I ask....is there a point of learning to the 2010 election stuff...its in my text book but obviously the 2015 election will be before the exam?
Original post by xxvine
May I ask....is there a point of learning to the 2010 election stuff...its in my text book but obviously the 2015 election will be before the exam?

i would say yes, just because like you said obviously 2015 will come before exam but i think its good to have a back up of examples, plus you will be able to look into those examples in detail for multiple uses in the exam.
for 2015 you will most likely use the things you can think of off the top of your head like who won, coalition? seats? obvs you may have more, depends on how much you go into detail with your 2015 for exam prep. also, 2010 will be great if you get say a coalition question if 2015 is not a coalition :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by JamJam87
i would say yes, just because like you said obviously 2015 will come before exam but i think its good to have a back up of examples, plus you will be able to look into those examples in detail for multiple uses in the exam.
for 2015 you will most likely use the things you can think of off the top of your head like who won, coalition? seats? obvs you may have more, depends on how much you go into detail with your 2015 for exam prep. also, 2010 will be great if you get say a coalition question if 2015 is not a coalition :smile:

Ahh yeah I will try and learn the key facts haha
Oh lord help me with this exam:frown:
I would definitely recommend it, as long as you have a genuine interest in the subject - finding good examples is a lot easier when you have a general idea of what is going on. Only downside is the workload - I'm currently taking A2 and find it to be far more demanding than either economics or maths, just due to the sheer weight of content. Exam technique is fine once you get the hang of the general essay template. As a side note, I've found A2 to be more enjoyable than AS, it's hard to beat the theatre of US politics. Constitution and Supreme Court are especially interesting A2 modules.
Reply 17
Original post by Habbajabba969
I would definitely recommend it, as long as you have a genuine interest in the subject - finding good examples is a lot easier when you have a general idea of what is going on. Only downside is the workload - I'm currently taking A2 and find it to be far more demanding than either economics or maths, just due to the sheer weight of content. Exam technique is fine once you get the hang of the general essay template. As a side note, I've found A2 to be more enjoyable than AS, it's hard to beat the theatre of US politics. Constitution and Supreme Court are especially interesting A2 modules.

Your not doing Political Ideologies?
Original post by xxvine
Ahh yeah I will try and learn the key facts haha
Oh lord help me with this exam:frown:

Don't worry! You'll do great! :hugs:
In terms of difficulty, Government & Politics is on the level of Law, Psychology, Sociology and Business Studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending