The Student Room Group

Medical Science to Medicine? STUDENT FINANCE? Help!

Hello

To start with, I am new to TSR and not sure if this question is in the right forum.

I am currently at my first year as a Medical Student, doing Biomedical Science.
I am planning to get a transfer into medicine after my graduation as a Biomedical scientist.
Biomedical science is 3 years, and Medicine is 4.

For medicine, they require an undergraduate degree of 2:1 (Some require 2:2) but I am aiming for 2:1 however at the end of my course.
Also, they require experience, e.g. working in a laboratory in hospitals etc.

For Student Finance, the university I go to is far from my parents house so I moved out and now living on campus. So, I am getting the maintanence loan and the tuition fee.

Just recently, I found out that Student finance do NOT pay for two degrees but one. Also, I haven't got any experiences within the medical field yet, and Im working on finding such job.

Now my major issue is student finance. Has anyone taken such route or know anyone that has done so? If anyone could give me as much information and advice, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thank you
I have the exact same problem as you !!

I am a grad student starting a 5year medicine course at the Uni of Southampton. I have been working since july 2012 and i finished my previous degree in july 2014.

I was wondering what kind of student finance is available for me and does the nhs provide any bursary aswell?

I have contact student finance by phone but i was very confused as to how i should apply ....any help would be really appreciated!

Many thanks
Reply 2
Original post by ConfusedSwei
Hello

To start with, I am new to TSR and not sure if this question is in the right forum.

I am currently at my first year as a Medical Student, doing Biomedical Science.
I am planning to get a transfer into medicine after my graduation as a Biomedical scientist.
Biomedical science is 3 years, and Medicine is 4.

For medicine, they require an undergraduate degree of 2:1 (Some require 2:2) but I am aiming for 2:1 however at the end of my course.
Also, they require experience, e.g. working in a laboratory in hospitals etc.

For Student Finance, the university I go to is far from my parents house so I moved out and now living on campus. So, I am getting the maintanence loan and the tuition fee.

Just recently, I found out that Student finance do NOT pay for two degrees but one. Also, I haven't got any experiences within the medical field yet, and Im working on finding such job.

Now my major issue is student finance. Has anyone taken such route or know anyone that has done so? If anyone could give me as much information and advice, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thank you

Original post by yelrihsuday
I have the exact same problem as you !!

I am a grad student starting a 5year medicine course at the Uni of Southampton. I have been working since july 2012 and i finished my previous degree in july 2014.

I was wondering what kind of student finance is available for me and does the nhs provide any bursary aswell?

I have contact student finance by phone but i was very confused as to how i should apply ....any help would be really appreciated!

Many thanks

Hi, perhaps I can help, though I'm not an expert. Currently a law student and have an offer for the 5 year medicine course at Durham so been looking into finance myself.

I'm going to assume you're resident in England or Wales, otherwise this won't apply.

You're not entitled to the Student Loan's bursary or fee payments. All that you're entitled to is the maintenance loan, which varies from roughly £4500 to £6500 depending on your household income. You can claim this each year.

The final year of medicine you can claim fees from the NHS. You'll be told how to claim this while at medical school I assume.

For the other 4 years you have to pay £9000 p.a. fees plus living costs, minus the loan.

In all, you pay £36,000 in fees and then living costs over 4 years. Student Loans will cover roughly between £22,500 and £32,500 of this, depending on household income.

You have living expenses on top of this, which you should assume will be at least £8000 p.a. by the time you buy books, pay for elective, pay rent etc. So say £40,000 living expenses.

So in all total cost will be ~£76,000, total loan will be between £22,500 and £32,500 leaving the amount to be claimed in private money as either £53,500 or £43,500, depending on the maintenance loan.

You can claim private loans. Barclay's bank provides up to £10,000, but you can only claim this in either 4th or 5th year.

There are also various scholarships.

There are, worst case scenario, also various (incredibly) high interest private student loans which should be avoided unless desperate.

For the 4 year graduate entry course (I've applied to Warwick so waiting to hear back from them) you will have to pay roughly £3000 of fees in 1st year and the rest is covered by Student Loans.

For the next 3 years, the NHS pays roughly £3000 and Student Loans pays £6000.

You're also entitled to a maintenance loan of £4500 to £6500 each year.

So in total you'll prob need around £6000 p.a. in first year in private money and maybe £3000 p.a. in private money for the other years. The Barcley's loan and some hardship scholarships might help.

Hope this is useful and feel free to correct any mistakes, this is just from my own calculations.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest