The Student Room Group

Who else is an unemployed graduate right now? Graphic Design degree and no job.

Hi guys,

I guess i am one of the many unemployed graduates from 2014.
I graduated with a 2.2 in Graphic Design from the university of Lincoln.
Was so happy to graduate and finally be done and I managed to land myself a job in my field, turns out my experience was awful, ridiculous hours, getting paid less than min wage and been asked to do things way above my level. i ended up leaving after a couple of months of working in such an awful environment.

I quickly managed to get a retail job - only a temp, but better than nothing, now that contract is over I am now unemployed again, looking for something new. I've been applying for graphic design jobs, even though I have been put off due to my bad experience and the whole important job thing still seems scary to me i guess because of my bad experience my confidence has been effected.

I'm still looking for retail work as well, but When i was working in my retail job I felt untested and was questioning why I had worked 4 hard years to end up with a retail job..
its just a confusing time right now, it seems after finishing university we get flung out in to the world with not much help or advice. I see a lot of people from my course also in the same situation too, which is just really disheartening.

I just wondered if anyone else is feeling this strange feeling of not been quite sure what to do next or how things will end up? have you had a bad experience in employment after uni too or are you still looking?

I'm doing everything i can to get a job, it doesn't matter what job it is right now, I'm really skint. I'm just annoyed that my university painted a picture which wasn't like this...
Reply 1
Hello Kate2610, you are not alone. I was graduated in 2013 2.2 Graphic and Design and was trying one year to find an internship in graphic and design and nothing. I work in retail part time and the rest of time looking for a different job. You are not the only one. It is upsetting yes, but I think the most important thing is to not get upset too much. You are going through a disappointment and that's okay, I am sure sooner or later you will find something appropriate. Don' t lose the graphic design experience out of your sight. It can be a freelance job too. It takes time. Best of Luck. J.
Reply 2
Original post by jj22j2
Hello Kate2610, you are not alone. I was graduated in 2013 2.2 Graphic and Design and was trying one year to find an internship in graphic and design and nothing. I work in retail part time and the rest of time looking for a different job. You are not the only one. It is upsetting yes, but I think the most important thing is to not get upset too much. You are going through a disappointment and that's okay, I am sure sooner or later you will find something appropriate. Don' t lose the graphic design experience out of your sight. It can be a freelance job too. It takes time. Best of Luck. J.

oh wow, hi fellow graphic design grad!

sounds very similar to me.. My first graphic design job was horrendous, completely taken advantage of working around 50 hours a week for less than minim wage - not even given a dinner hour or anything, ended up quitting because it was so bad.

I got a temp job in retail, loved it actually mainly because it was so much better than working at that horrible company and the people were lovely! which helps.. but that contract ended.. now I'm looking for something new and just applying for anything and everything, it sucks, but its the only thing i can do.
I had an interview for a graphic design job last week and it was just scary, so serious and they expected me to know loads of stuff which was too advantaged for a junior / grad.. it seems to a thing I'm finding is they expect a lot out of juniors ;/ but then they can pay them a junior wage..
Reply 3
That's good. The most important thing is to gain experience I think. I am trying to be more selective in terms of a graphic design jobs. And also looking for a retail jobs. I want to make more freelance works just to have a nicer portfolio, not only filled up with college works, but also something different. It's true, the companies expect you to know extra stuff that colleges do not teach, but still if you have passion you can learn them on your own. For me the hardest thing atm is that I need money and can't waste time. And it's really frustrating when you trying your best still can't find anything. But still it is a matter of time. I am not enjoying the place I work in because it is not a creative environment, can't really share anything with people and I feel totally out of place and wish I can get out of there asap. But it's ok. The best thing I can do is trying, researching applying and hopefully something new will turn up.
Reply 4
I graduated in 2012 with a 1:1 and still can't get a full time graphic design job. I have done 5 internships at big design agencies and they don't employ you after either. They use and abuse graduates and I found its harder to get employed as a mature student in your late 20s. It seems to be a dominated male sexist industry and have found lots of these young designers in top industry's are cocky and crap with no artistic talent. There is also a lot of snobbish behaviour going on as these top design agencies as they will only employ young graduates who studied at universities like Saint martins, RCA or Kingston university. Just because they studied at top universities does not mean the students are in any way talented or better. Most the work in award winning agencies are out sourced to a freelancer because their so called designers lack skills. I have also witnessed and experienced their so called designers to get jealous when a more talented intern comes in to work for the company and will try to stab you in the back of your not careful. Has anyone noticed the same?
Reply 5
Just keep going, Kate. Keep chipping away and sooner or later, a door will open. All the best.
Original post by GD ego
I graduated in 2012 with a 1:1 and still can't get a full time graphic design job. I have done 5 internships at big design agencies and they don't employ you after either. They use and abuse graduates and I found its harder to get employed as a mature student in your late 20s. It seems to be a dominated male sexist industry and have found lots of these young designers in top industry's are cocky and crap with no artistic talent. There is also a lot of snobbish behaviour going on as these top design agencies as they will only employ young graduates who studied at universities like Saint martins, RCA or Kingston university. Just because they studied at top universities does not mean the students are in any way talented or better. Most the work in award winning agencies are out sourced to a freelancer because their so called designers lack skills. I have also witnessed and experienced their so called designers to get jealous when a more talented intern comes in to work for the company and will try to stab you in the back of your not careful. Has anyone noticed the same?

Have you thought about setting up as a freelancer?
Reply 7
Original post by Bill_Gates
Have you thought about setting up as a freelancer?

Yes I have done freelance work and I am currently looking for freelance and full-time work. The problem with freelancing is that it's unreliable, and you have to constantly keep chasing for the next project. You also have to be really experienced with 4 to 5 years solid background experience and really know your stuff.
Original post by GD ego
Yes I have done freelance work and I am currently looking for freelance and full-time work. The problem with freelancing is that it's unreliable, and you have to constantly keep chasing for the next project. You also have to be really experienced with 4 to 5 years solid background experience and really know your stuff.

I agree but list yourself on a couple of online websites. You should be able to get quite a bit of work. I know it's not ideal but i know this is how it's going for graphic design in general.
Reply 9
Thanks for the advise. Do you know any websites that are really good for freelancers?
Reply 10
Original post by Bill_Gates
I agree but list yourself on a couple of online websites. You should be able to get quite a bit of work. I know it's not ideal but i know this is how it's going for graphic design in general.

Thanks for the advise. Do you know any websites that are really good for freelancers?
This is so true. The week i started at one of the most highly regarded studios in London, my coworker expressed that he was threatened by my skill and thereafter made me look bad at every turn and made it impossible for me to work there. I was let go after a few weeks. It was heartbreaking.
I'm in the same boat :frown: can't seem to find a graphic design role. Graduated in Nov 2016. My qualifications are not from a UK university. ( Could be a reason why I don't get considered). I've been working at retail for the time being as rent is so expensive and there's no other options, It has led me to have depression and I haven't used the adobe programs in so long, I am terrified of getting a job and then not know how to do stuff. Does this happen to you?. I have done some freelance stuff but I was never super good with the programs and scares me so much. Nowadays they ask for so much experience and to know so many programs, even HTML. I didn't learn that at uni.. :frown: I'm 29 and scared I've wasted my opportunities and will be trapped in retail for life. ,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending