The Student Room Group

I'm on 600 calories a day and didnt lose any weight last week!

Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).

I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

Have I missed the point of dieting?

Why did I not lose anything?

Scroll to see replies

That seems really unhealthy :eek:
You're not eating the right foods. But the main thing is that you cannot survive on 600 calories a day. Minimum should be 1200 imo. And get to the gym, that'll help a lot.
How long have you been doing this for? Eating this few a calories for a long time could put your body into starvation mode so you won't be losing any weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
weight loss isn't as simple as eat X and you will lose Y every week, it often comes in stops and starts, you can weigh more one week due to water etc even if you have lost weight in reality

but eating 600 cals a day is disordered and dumb, you can't have sustainable weight loss doing that, you will push your body into starvation, ruin your metabolism and eventually end up binging and gaining weight back
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).

I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

Have I missed the point of dieting?

Why did I not lose anything?

Yes you've completely missed the point of dieting!!! If you eat 600 calories a day you are starving your body, that means everything you do eat is stored as fat, hence why you've not lost any weight. You need to eat 1200-1500 calories a day (net intake) and make sure it's healthy foods not crisps and chocolate!!! Then do some exercise and the weight will come off. Bear in mind, you have to use 3000 calories less than your body needs to lose 1 pound of fat, it's not a quick fix process!
Original post by MsFahima
You're not eating the right foods. But the main thing is that you cannot survive on 600 calories a day. Minimum should be 1200 imo. And get to the gym, that'll help a lot.

I also have 1 2L bottle of Pepsi Max every day, which is probably keeping me alive at the moment.
I also have 1 2L bottle of Pepsi Max every day, which is probably keeping me alive at the moment.

Oh my days that is so unhealthy! How can you be surprised you're not losing weight with that diet? It's so bad for your body! Go and visit the fruit section of the supermarket and eat something decent!!
Reply 8
I was depressed .I had a similar story Im 20 170 cm .I spent too much money too quickly on stupid things in my first semester (PS4 GAMES CONSOLE/TV etc).So money became an issue and I didnt want to worry my parents.I went from 95.5Kg to 74.0 Kg in 4 months literally from the start of University until just after Christmas,I weighed myself every week.But I drank a lot of water literally 3 Liters or more roughly everyday thoughout the day.I only had like 1 meal every two or 3 days and that meal was normally a takeaway like a big pizza or Donner kebab or double cheese burger some days I would eat and only eat ice cream or just water.I lost a huge chunk of weight and didnt realize it..But your energy just depletes I found myself feeling sluggish and low concentration.I walked 2 miles to University and back because My money was limited to catch public transport.
So yeah I lost nearly 50 pounds .Some days I didnt eat anything.Others I was having over 2000 calories.

I'm not surprised at the lack of weight loss. You should eat HEALTHY.
Original post by MsFahima
I'm not surprised at the lack of weight loss. You should eat HEALTHY.

I lost 1 stone in January.

2lbs in February (lol).

And because of this lack of weight loss in Feb, I have been tightening up my calorie intake from March onwards. Now I am weighing myself every week and I want to see 2-3lbs gone every week.

I want to be 11.5st ideally. So over a stone to go.
Original post by Physflop
Oh my days that is so unhealthy! How can you be surprised you're not losing weight with that diet? It's so bad for your body! Go and visit the fruit section of the supermarket and eat something decent!!

Do you know how much fruit costs? I cannot afford £3 every time I want to eat a few strawberries.

I am halving the Pepsi from this week onwards.

2lbs in February (lol).

And because of this lack of weight loss in Feb, I have been tightening up my calorie intake from March onwards. Now I am weighing myself every week and I want to see 2-3lbs gone every week.

Most of that 1 stone would have been fluid lost. Don't look favourably on it. Do weight loss properly or you'll make yourself ill.
Do you know how much fruit costs? I cannot afford £3 every time I want to eat a few strawberries.

I am halving the Pepsi from this week onwards.

And 50-80p for every chocolate bar and pack of crisps is so much cheaper???? Don't buy the expensive fruit then! Get bananas and apples, or better, just eat healthy meals and don't snack! You're getting a bit troll-like tbh, if you don't want the useful advice we are giving you, don't bother asking the question. You'll get ill and your teeth will rot. Good luck with that.
Original post by Physflop
And 50-80p for every chocolate bar and pack of crisps is so much cheaper???? Don't buy the expensive fruit then! Get bananas and apples, or better, just eat healthy meals and don't snack! You're getting a bit troll-like tbh, if you don't want the useful advice we are giving you, don't bother asking the question. You'll get ill and your teeth will rot. Good luck with that.

I am grateful, I just don't think you read my OP properly.

I have a small chocolate bar, no bigger than a 2 finger Kit Kat, and a bag of Quavers, which are like only 2.7g of fat (70 calories).

My lunch does not include bread or dairy. Therefore I eat only 200 calories/8g fat for lunchtimes.

My dinner consists of whatever my mum cooks me, which is sometimes spaghetti Bolognese, sometimes scrambled egg on toast, sometimes chicken and veg etc...

I don't buy chocolate or snacks. I don't drink alcohol. I don't even eat yogurts anymore. I don't even eat breakfast.

I know I drink too much Pepsi, but I am addicted. It's a consequence of depression.

However, apart from the Pepsi, I think you are wrong to imply that my diet is full of fat!
There are easier ways to kill yourself, you know...

2lbs in February (lol).

How did you manage to lose a whole stone in a month?

Anyway.. there will be a point when you stop losing weight for a bit. So don't worry. Continue on the amount of calories you had in January but try to be a little more healthy. How much was you calorie intake in Jan?
Original post by Emma_Jane
How long have you been doing this for? Eating this few a calories for a long time could put your body into starvation mode so you won't be losing any weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No this is not true. The human body cannot magically break energy laws. If this were true, it wouldn't actually be possible to starve to death, right? :wink:

OP might be having issues with increased water retention maintaining scale weight and thus masking actual fat loss (both visually and on the scale).
The Crisp is 200 calories alone. Once you add the dinner and Chocolates, it can easily bring it up over 600.

Also, it has only been one week. There is the issue of water retention and etc. If you are drinking vast amounts of water, the weight loss may not be that drastic.

Having said that, you should be losing weight on 1200 calories.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was on 600 calories a day at one point. But I was also severely bulimic, so I'd get help if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest