The Student Room Group

I'm on 600 calories a day and didnt lose any weight last week!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Lots of people have lost weight on the 5.2 diet. 2 days of reduced calorie intake around 800 cals I think and then the 5 days following a normal healthy diet. Apparently this has big health benefits too. Not sure if I could do the 2 days restricted though.

My best advice is to do around the 1500 cals a day and exercise 30 mins x 5 days a week. Then get on with life and don't fret or think about it all the time. 1/2 to 1lb weight loss each week is ideal.

Over 6 months to a year (depending on how much you want to shift) the weight loss will be significant and it is the most healthy and long lasting way to get down to a healthy weight and be able to maintain it.
Reply 61
I'm not surprised
Original post by MsFahima
You're not eating the right foods. But the main thing is that you cannot survive on 600 calories a day. Minimum should be 1200 imo. And get to the gym, that'll help a lot.

MsFahima killin' it.
Original post by BlindingLight
MsFahima killin' it.

Big time. :colonhash:
Reply 64
Original post by Aileen__
Here's a tip for everyone - Do NOT calorie count - unless you are an athlete that needs to hit a certain amount for training or you have guidelines from doctors etc. Calorie counting can become addictive and as a lot of people have already stated on this thread it's not always the way to control your weight and diet. Think more about what type of foods you are eating and if you are getting the right quantity of each food group a day. I am not saying give up the chocolate and crisps but keep it in moderation.

It is harder on a student income for sure but do not succumb to unhealthy snacks as a solution. Also drinking plenty of water in the place of fizzy drinks will aid with weight loss and being healthy in general both in mind and body. Things such as increasing exercise (even if in small steps) is a given aid but also gaining more sleep. If you do increase the amount of exercise you do however do not be disheartened if your weight loss slows after a while or gains as it is more than likely that you are gaining muscle weight (due to muscles being denser than fat).

Last tip: Do not think of a diet as 'going on a diet' because it is not something you can suddenly change and expect immediate results and it often leaves your body fluctuating and deprived of energy which causes most 'diets' to fail. Try thinking of it as a slow process where you alter your diet I.e by swapping out biscuits for fruit or nuts. And then you will notice a change in weight in the long run and it is much safer.

Hope this helps 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

People have no idea how many calories are in the foods they eat, they assume the nutritional value on their own interpretation , take pasta for example. People overeat easily due to not having portion control or knowing how many calories they should consume.

If you have a weight goal, why would you NOT track calories? You don't have to be an athlete to track your macros/calories... Take Myfitnesspal for example, helps people make new friends with similar goals, Subreddits dedicated and actually are a good way to keep motivated. Going off topic, but it puts it into a slightly wider perspective.

Addictive? Or just a way of knowing that you will progress and knowing that you aren't under eating or overeating.

I agree it can be done by smaller portion sizes and eating less "junk" foods, but if you have the ability to know relative values to what you're eating. This information can help you determine whether or not you need to eat more or less and adjust accordingly.
Reply 65
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).

I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

Have I missed the point of dieting?

Why did I not lose anything?

That isn't really good way to lose weight. Our bodies adapt to low calorie intakes and turns you into starvation mode. This is when your body tries to burn as little fat as possible in order for you to survive longer on little food. My advice would be to:

1) Stop eating biscuits, crisps and chocolate. Crisps are high in saturated fats and will make you look like you aren't losing any weight. Chocolate is full of sugar. When it isn't burned, it will turn into fat and will be stored.
2) Eat 3 meals a day. However, you musn't eat foods high in fat or carbohydrates ie chips, pizza etc. Have cereal for breakfast, followed by a healthy lunch, like fish with vegetables and rice. Then for dinner, have something light like porridge. You should eat 3 meals a day to stop you from craving biscuits etc.
3) Set yourself a calorie intake limit and keep count of every calorie you take in. This should be a maximum of 2000 if you are prepared to do a lot of exercise. This is the only way to lose weight, as you must burn more than you eat.
4) Go for a 20-30 minute jog every day. This will ensure that you burn the necessary calories.

Hopefully this will help you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by kennethdcharles
Chocolate is full of sugar. When it isn't burned, it will turn into fat
musn't eat foods high in fat or carbohydrates ie chips, pizza etc

This is incorrect.
Reply 67
Original post by Kirbxe
This is incorrect.

If you knew about lipogenesis, you wouldn't have made that comment. I do GCSE PE mate, I know what I'm talking about.
Reply 68
If you knew about lipogenesis, you wouldn't have made that comment. I do GCSE PE mate, I know what I'm talking about.

Store AS FATS. Doesn't turn straight to fat, there's a difference.

And as for not eating carbs and fats, just lol.

Hahahahahaha, are you trolling? You are joking, right? I really wouldn't use GCSE PE as credentials when you're making factually incorrect statements. I haven't read most of the thread, but your largish post above is full of innacuraces (there are problems in every single one of your numbered points).

And to give you some perspective I'm a final year medical student who has already completed a Bsc in sports & exercise medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by RollerBall
Hahahahahaha, are you trolling? You are joking, right? I really wouldn't use GCSE PE as credentials when you're making factually incorrect statements. I haven't read most of the thread, but your largish post above is full of innacuraces (there are problems in every single one of your numbered points).

And to give you some perspective I'm a final year medical student who has already completed a Bsc in sports & exercise medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good for you. I've given this exact same list to five of my friends and they have all lost weight and have become ripped. My aim here was not to give false information, i tried to give the same help to someone that i gave to my friends. Incorrect or not, it works. My messages weren't aimed at you so please don't get involved.
Reply 71
Good for you. I've given this exact same list to five of my friends and they have all lost weight and have become ripped. My aim here was not to give false information, i tried to give the same help to someone that i gave to my friends. Incorrect or not, it works. My messages weren't aimed at you so please don't get involved.

A caloric deficit and "good" macros will promote fat and weight loss.

The information you were giving was infact incorrect, as I already pointed out, typical bro-science bull****. GCSE P.E? Please... Doesn't make you qualified by any means.

There's enough science behind what I preach. Show me pictures of your friends who are "ripped". I bet none of them even have any sort of muscle mass.
(edited 8 years ago)
I lost weight eating only dinner (300 calories) some days a week but on other days a week eating 3 low calorie meals (900 calories) also at least 1 hour a day exercising (I used my exercise bike at home) and I drank 4 litres of water daily. and I lost weight quickly. Sugar free red bull helps also.
(edited 8 years ago)
Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).
I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

You have completely missed the point. You need to cut the crisps, biscuits, chocolate out of your diet; they are ok as a treat perhaps on a weekend but as part of your daily diet are very unhealthy. Such foods are high in trans fats and fail to keep you fill up for long periods of time thus one eats more. Starving yourself to 600 calories activates a 'survival' mode; an adaptation humans acquired back when we were cave men as the body would not know when they were next going to receive food so the metabolism will slow dramatically and store any further calories consumed as fat. The best way to loose weight is therefore to eat smaller meals often; a healthy breakfast containing complex carbs, a small snack, lunch and dinner and perhaps a small snack before 8pm if you are getting hunger pangs. This is the secret for keeping your metabolism going and as a result the easiest way to loose weight. Try to eat more vegetables, fibre, whole grains and protein as these are low in calories however are very filling. You also need to be incorporating exercise into your diet; about an hour-two hours a day is sufficient enough, cardio is key to getting the weight off but it's important to build muscle as this will increase your metabolism so you don't put the weight back on.

It will take time to see results, but it will be worth it, there is no quick way and fad diets do not work trust me I've tried them all! You will then start to see results.

PS: don't weight yourself every week, your body weight changes constantly due to hormones, water retention etc... This can kill motivation if you haven't lost weight, aim to weigh yourself every 4-6weeks and you will notice the pounds slowly coming off :biggrin::tongue:
Reply 74

Please tell me you're kidding? This is extremely unhealthy. I get it that you want to lose weight fast but this is not sustainable. Instead, you should be mixing a balanced diet with exercise, ideally high-intensity.
Reply 75
"I ate biscuits, crisps and chocolate,why didn't I lose any weight?"
What the hell am I reading?
Hi, I'm Amber, im going to go on a 50 calorie a day diet for 5 weeks after finishing a 3 week fast, I am currently 4/21 days complete. After the 5 weeks of 50 calories I am going to go on 400 for 3 weeks. I have used a useful website called "losertown.org" to calculate how much I will weigh at the end of the 11 weeks. I think my weight is is 112 since I last weighed myself before I begun the fast. By the end of the weight loss journey I will be 75 lbs. I would have dropped a good 2/3 stone. The end of my diet is on 11 November as I have allowed myself 4 free calorie days on the 3 week 400 calorie diet. I don't know whether this will work or not but I will inform you on how much weight I loose throughout the diet I am 5'1 & 13 years of age.
Reply 77
Original post by Amber Pickaver
Hi, I'm Amber, im going to go on a 50 calorie a day diet for 5 weeks after finishing a 3 week fast, I am currently 4/21 days complete. After the 5 weeks of 50 calories I am going to go on 400 for 3 weeks. I have used a useful website called "losertown.org" to calculate how much I will weigh at the end of the 11 weeks. I think my weight is is 112 since I last weighed myself before I begun the fast. By the end of the weight loss journey I will be 75 lbs. I would have dropped a good 2/3 stone. The end of my diet is on 11 November as I have allowed myself 4 free calorie days on the 3 week 400 calorie diet. I don't know whether this will work or not but I will inform you on how much weight I loose throughout the diet I am 5'1 & 13 years of age.

If this is a serious post, then you should probably get help ASAP.

This is not good.

EDIT: Nevermind, just thought that what 13 year old controls their own diet anyways. lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by kirbxe
if this is a serious post, then you should probably get help asap.

This is not good.

Edit: Nevermind, just thought that what 13 year old controls their own diet anyways. Lol

loooooooooool ahahahahaha
I bought a punnet of peaches from lidl for 95p last week, and a large tub of plain yoghurt for £1.45 - I make yoghurt and fruit with a cube of dark chocolate every day ! Cheap as chips! You can eat healthily for a lot cheaper x

Quick Reply

Latest