The Student Room Group

Lights when?

I am really not understanding the system here. I live in Northern Ireland and I passed the test in January... I go out driving all the time and people here put their car lights on when its daylight, I am just back from driving an hour and at 5 pm people had their lights on, right now its 6:40 and its still kinda bright.

Maybe I am in the wrong but for me you don't put on your lights until the sun has set??

Idk I just was a bit confused with all these people driving around in broad daylight with their full lights on.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frostyjoe
I am really not understanding the system here. I live in Northern Ireland and I passed the test in January... I go out driving all the time and people here put their car lights on when its daylight, I am just back from driving an hour and at 5 pm people had their lights on, right now its 6:40 and its still kinda bright.

Maybe I am in the wrong but for me you don't put on your lights until the sun has set??

Idk I just was a bit confused with all these people driving around in broad daylight with their full lights on.

I put it on when I feel its too dark and there's less visibility.

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
I put it on when I feel its too dark and there's less visibility.

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

Ok so I am correct then. I was starting to stress because I was the only one with no lights on.

It was sunny when I was driving so I didn't see any need.
Ok so I am correct then. I was starting to stress because I was the only one with no lights on.

It was sunny when I was driving so I didn't see any need.

It might have been those daylight lights on the newer cars or something :/
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007
It might have been those daylight lights on the newer cars or something :/

I thought it was that.
I put my side lights on even in heavy rain. It's not for my benefit, it's so other motorists can see me.
Original post by ToastyCoke
I put my side lights on even in heavy rain. It's not for my benefit, it's so other motorists can see me.

Exactly, side lights aren't for your benefit whatsoever, dipped and full obviously are.

I put dipped on when it starts to feel overly gloomy
Reply 7
If its gloomy, raining or the sun is low in the sky I'll run headlights during the day. Especially if the sun is bright and low in the sky like it was sometime last week, driving away from the sun my visibility was fine, but for those coming the other way I want to be visible as much as legally and sensibly possible to reduce any chance of an accident.
Reply 8

If they can't see you in broad daylight then they shouldn't be driving.
Reply 9
Original post by dhr90
If its gloomy, raining or the sun is low in the sky I'll run headlights during the day. Especially if the sun is bright and low in the sky like it was sometime last week, driving away from the sun my visibility was fine, but for those coming the other way I want to be visible as much as legally and sensibly possible to reduce any chance of an accident.

Like I say it is not dark here until 6:45. I was out at 5:30 in the sunshine and people had their lights on.
Just I occurred to me, they could have been driving Volvos, do they still have their lights on all the time?

Same here.

I also put on my headlights if its one of those really dark, overcast/rainy days, even if its noon.

Having a black car, it also makes me somewhat less visible too, compared to say a white or red car.
If they can't see you in broad daylight then they shouldn't be driving.

"Heavy rain" isn't "broad daylight" - are you one of those mouth breathers that doesn't use their headlights on the motorway when it's raining and there's spray everywhere? Let me guess, your car is grey/silver too?

I start work several hours before sun rise so I tend to just leave my headlights on all day all around my route. My van is grey and I don't particularly want to deal with the hassle of someone plowing into me, especially when I drove 100-150 miles a day in it.

In my own car I use headlights in heavy overcast (morning/evening overcast), in rain, and obviously from dusk till dawn. I don't bother with sidelights. If you turn your sidelights on, just go all the way to dipped beam. It makes you more visible to other drivers, so why not? My car's bright red though, so I have a little more leniency than my grey work van in terms of people being able to see me.
Reply 13
Original post by Robbo-92
Just I occurred to me, they could have been driving Volvos, do they still have their lights on all the time?

I've noticed Audis have lights on.
Reply 14
Original post by Nuffles
"Heavy rain" isn't "broad daylight" - are you one of those mouth breathers that doesn't use their headlights on the motorway when it's raining and there's spray everywhere? Let me guess, your car is grey/silver too?

I start work several hours before sun rise so I tend to just leave my headlights on all day all around my route. My van is grey and I don't particularly want to deal with the hassle of someone plowing into me, especially when I drove 100-150 miles a day in it.

In my own car I use headlights in heavy overcast (morning/evening overcast), in rain, and obviously from dusk till dawn. I don't bother with sidelights. If you turn your sidelights on, just go all the way to dipped beam. It makes you more visible to other drivers, so why not? My car's bright red though, so I have a little more leniency than my grey work van in terms of people being able to see me.

Eh it was sunny here not heavy rain. I don't actually put my lights on when its raining at noon because you can still see but if it is misty at noon or foggy then I will. The only time I would turn lights on in rain is just before sunset.
I've noticed Audis have lights on.

Most likely the day driving led lights then, a lot of new Audis have those from what I've seen. In fact most new cars tend to have day led lights
Reply 16
Most likely the day driving led lights then, a lot of new Audis have those from what I've seen. In fact most new cars tend to have day led lights

Legally required to have daytime running lights from a few years ago I think.
Original post by dhr90
Legally required to have daytime running lights from a few years ago I think.

First I've heard of that! I knew it was to increase visibility of other road users but never knew it was a legal requirement. That'd explain why I see a lot of new cars with them then!
Reply 18
First I've heard of that! I knew it was to increase visibility of other road users but never knew it was a legal requirement. That'd explain why I see a lot of new cars with them then!

From 7th February 2011. Forgive the Halfrauds link: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=17151&categoryId=245551&articleId=809953

Didn't know about them switching off when the sidelights are turned on though.
Original post by dhr90
From 7th February 2011. Forgive the Halfrauds link: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=17151&categoryId=245551&articleId=809953

Didn't know about them switching off when the sidelights are turned on though.

I knew they switched off when traditional lights were turned on as LED's at night would be too bright (or the daytime ones would be as I presume they have to be brighter to be seen)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending