Was Stalin a selfish, power hungry leader, or did he do what he did for the good of C

Watch
zoex101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
did he do what he did for his own personal gain or for the good of Communism?
Cadherin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zoex101)
did he do what he did for his own personal gain or for the good of Communism?
Despotism usually is for the purposes of personal gain, as was the case with Stalin.
benrobinson3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Stalin did what was best for the country, eventually. Initially, I think he went about it the wrong way: making out the Trotsky was all awful and ordering for Lenin's testament not to be read out because he knew that Lenin wasn't a fan of him, but at the end of the day we could suggest that many moves that political leaders make are for self gains though.

In terms of domestic policy of the USSR, I think his policy of collectivisation was a good policy, but the way he carried it out was to be sniffed at. I also think that the 5 year plans were successful, up until the point where we can see that people were that scared of him that they didn't do anything but obey - which threw the USSR into turmoil.

As for the great terror, well, you could argue this one both ways. You could argue that it was bad because of the humiliation he showed through the show trials and how he conducted them, as well as using Yagoda's conveyor belt system of torture to get people to confess. But, then, in the same way Stalin protected his position and again, if you felt threatened you would do the same thing, just not on the same level I would hope!

People argue that Stalin was a nasty piece of work, and yes, I can see this. But I can also see reasons why he did it. The gulags were unnecessary though, and the way he carried out his plans wasn't amazing. It had potential, but potential if it was carried out in a different way.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stalin knew fast industrialization was needed and he delivered but thousands of deaths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (55)
28.8%
No - I have already returned home (24)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (43)
22.51%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (18)
9.42%
No - I live at home during term anyway (51)
26.7%

Watched Threads