i have no name
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So for background purposes guys I have AABB at A-Levels in Accounting, Business, Economics and Maths. I studied BA Economics and Finance (Dual Honours) at Keele University and achieved a First. I have also completed a 8 week internship at KPMG where I worked in audit and corporate finance.

Now I want to work in Investment Banking, preferably in a front office position in maybe something like Mergers and Acquisitions or Trading.

I am currently in the process of applying for masters programmes to boost my employability. I have an offer from University of Nottingham for Msc Finance and Investment. I am also applying to Warwick (Msc Finance), Imperial (Msc Finance), LSE (Msc Economics and Finance) and Cambridge (Mphil Finance) and Cass (Msc Finance and Investment).

Due to the extremely high tuition fees I am more then likely to study at Nottingham or Cass as the tuition fees are a third of the other universities plus they also offer some scholarships. I have been told that I would be better off studying Economics at Nottingham rather then Finance as it is a more quants based course however the Nottingham Business School is ranked 6th in UK.

Now my main questions are:
1) Is it worth me going to Nottingham or Cass as they are both only semi-target unis and don't have the prestige of the other universities
2) If I do go to these universities, would I be better off studying Economics rather than Finance.
i have no name
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice?
Icbus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I’m starting an MSc Finance course in September. I’m not sure how highly rated Nottingham is for postgrad courses. Where did you see Nottingham Business School ranked 6th in the UK? The ft pre-experience Masters in Finance rankings is one source I’ve been using:

http://rankings.ft.com/exportranking...ience-2014/pdf

If you’re looking at places like Warwick for £32,300 you should probably consider more affordable places like Durham too? There are also some highly rated French and Spanish unis with much more affordable courses taught in English. £45,000 for a one year MSc plus having to live in London is just ludicrous to me.

As far as Finance vs Economics, Finance is never a bad bet from what I’ve read. Which Cass course are you looking at that is so much cheaper than LSE etc.? The course you mentioned is 2 years part-time?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads