The Student Room Group

Racial descrimination- only white people can be British

Have a look at this webpage from my university:

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/lds/internationalstudents/

The person in the photo is not an international student, but has been singled out because of their skin colour. Should this be allowed? What do you think they should they do about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by alasdairgeddes

The person in the photo is not an international student, but has been singled out because of their skin colour. Should this be allowed? What do you think they should they do about it?

If the person in the photo is uncomfortable about this; they should complain. If he doesn't mind, there's no problem.

I doubt most people in adverts actually use the products they're advertising.
(edited 9 years ago)
So you don't see a problem in assuming nationality based on skin colour?
Reply 3
So you don't see a problem in assuming nationality based on skin colour?

I don't see the point in making issues when there aren't any.
Would you prefer if it was a white guy in the picture?

As long as no one is stupid/racist enough to actually believe the topic sentence there's no problem.
Reply 5

Because a large amount of foreign students are black? Since white British people make up 79.8% of England population (I know its not the UK but England is more multicultural). So as you expect people don't automatically assume black people are British. "Should this be allowed?" Um, yes and nothing should be done about it. I find it rather petty that you decide to make a massive deal about a picture
Original post by Ezisola
I don't see the point in making issues when there aren't any.

Exactly. There are 1000s of images like that but with whites in it, I'm sure at least 1% of them wouldn't be immigrants either.
Isnt it more of an issue when colleges and unviersities use stock pictures of good looking models who arent even students to advertise their courses?
Reply 8

You're an idiot.
Reply 9

How do you know that person been singled out? Do you know him? I'm pretty sure that he had to sign an agreement to let the university display that photo of his...

Besides they do not have to include a picture specifically related to that section, especially when you know some people will not be willing to. I know for fact that when a certain event involving international people is occurring, most of the people in the picture are British since they know no-one will be bothered about it.
I think a better image would be of an international student, perhaps even a group of international students that where sitting in the same room. It doesn't matter what colour they are, but the picture is incorrect and just picks out the only black guy in the room.
Tbh im black and I accept the image of a true brit is a white person.. I dont feel accepted as british but cant say Im bothered.. Im proud tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think they check the international status of the people in the photos.
I think a better image would be of an international student, perhaps even a group of international students that where sitting in the same room. It doesn't matter what colour they are, but the picture is incorrect and just picks out the only black guy in the room.

To be fair, if it was a white person people would just assume they are British even if they were something like Polish, Hungarian or whatever and no one would cry racism over that as they didnt know.

When I was at uni a few years ago the INTERNATIONAL society was all black Londoners despite it being in the North of England, when they were recruiting they walked past Chinese people, Asian people, even white but foreign i.e Hungarian and Russian and just picked people based on colour, I tried speaking to them saying I am part Polish and was basically told "well you were born in UK therefore not international" despite none of them being international.

Was funny though when they decided to organise a trip to LONDON where all of them came from, even more so when they didnt get many sign ups so opened the trip to the public but then made the people asking questions feel like they werent welcome.
Erm no offence but I think Black people are always looking to be offended. What exactly iswrong with having a black person in the photo?

If it was a white person you'd say they were being racist against black people for not including them.
Original post by BlackberryBoss
Tbh im black and I accept the image of a true brit is a white person.. I dont feel accepted as british but cant say Im bothered.. Im proud tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well my newphew is Scottish but he is mixed race and we all know that. But he is still British by birth and culturally, to me your skin doesn't define your culture.
Original post by drbluebox
To be fair, if it was a white person people would just assume they are British even if they were something like Polish, Hungarian or whatever and no one would cry racism over that as they didnt know.

When I was at uni a few years ago the INTERNATIONAL society was all black Londoners despite it being in the North of England, when they were recruiting they walked past Chinese people, Asian people, even white but foreign i.e Hungarian and Russian and just picked people based on colour, I tried speaking to them saying I am part Polish and was basically told "well you were born in UK therefore not international" despite none of them being international.

Was funny though when they decided to organise a trip to LONDON where all of them came from, even more so when they didnt get many sign ups so opened the trip to the public but then made the people asking questions feel like they werent welcome.

No we wouldn't, its pretty easy to distingush an eastern European from a Brit.
Original post by Frostyjoe
Erm no offence but I think Black people are always looking to be offended. What exactly iswrong with having a black person in the photo?

If it was a white person you'd say they were being racist against black people for not including them.

The problem with the photo is that out of all the international people that they could have chosen, they chose the one black guy, and he isn't an international student.
The problem with the photo is that out of all the international people that they could have chosen, they chose the one black guy, and he isn't an international student.

But what is the problem with that? There is no black population native to the British Isles.
According to ex-BNP Nick Griffin only the English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish can be ethnically British so what's the problem?

Quick Reply

Latest