Swimming with Captive Dolphins - Is this a moral practice? Watch

jumblehunter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey everyone.

I'm going travelling this summer, and will be stopping in Singapore for a few days on my way home. I'm currently researching what there is to do in Singapore, and when looking at Sentosa Island, I saw that they have some kind of dolphin park where you can swim with captive dolphins.

Is this a moral thing to do? I mean, are the dolphins likely to be happy in captivity, in the way that my dog is pretty happy in captivity, or is the practice of keeping dolphins in captivity unethical?

I'm not usually the type to put a whole lot by ethics - I don't fuss over whether my food is fair trade, or whether my shampoo was developed with animal testing ect. But I do think that if I thought the dolphins were unhappily kept in captivity just for the tourism then it would detract from the overall experience enough that I wouldn't want to do it.

What are your thoughts guys?
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those dolphins are lucky we not shooting them and selling their fins in an Indonesian market. We need more captive dolphins for swimming with, I would detain all dolphins if I was UN secretary-general.
PurpleGhost25175
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me it will depend on how the dolphins are kept in the pool and whether the pool is big enough for the dolphins to swim around. Senthosa Island is really nice. I been twice now. The cable cars are nice. Singapore is very expensive though Most expensiest place to live in the world.
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firstly, no. Dolphins are not happy in captivity.

Secondly, why don't you care about animal testing, where your food comes from, but you do about this?
jumblehunter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by there's too much love)
Firstly, no. Dolphins are not happy in captivity.

Secondly, why don't you care about animal testing, where your food comes from, but you do about this?
Thanks for the response.

I guess in an admittedly selfish kind of way, because I can push it to the back of my mind. When I'm at the supermarket, I just see the cheapest shampoo and buy it, regardless of how it was developed, because I don't actually have to see the testing. Obviously I don't like the idea, and wouldn't be happy if someone did experiments on my dog or anything.

Given that I barely eat fruit/chocolate/tea/coffee at the moment I guess the latter is a moot point - I'm fairly sure that 99% of what I buy you can't even get fair trade. But if you could, I'd just go for the cheapest option, because again, its easy to push concerns to the back of your mind and go about your daily life.
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jumblehunter)
Thanks for the response.

I guess in an admittedly selfish kind of way, because I can push it to the back of my mind. When I'm at the supermarket, I just see the cheapest shampoo and buy it, regardless of how it was developed, because I don't actually have to see the testing. Obviously I don't like the idea, and wouldn't be happy if someone did experiments on my dog or anything.

Given that I barely eat fruit/chocolate/tea/coffee at the moment I guess the latter is a moot point - I'm fairly sure that 99% of what I buy you can't even get fair trade. But if you could, I'd just go for the cheapest option, because again, its easy to push concerns to the back of your mind and go about your daily life.
None of super drugs own range of shampoos, conditioners, tooth pastes etc. is tested on animals. It's also cheap and not bad quality.

Or for higher end things there's lush.

Cutting out animal tested products isn't exactly hard .

The best detergents I've had are non animal tested ones. Astonish is in most 99p shops, and Bio D is another good one (in most oxfam shops).

You clearly do have an issue with animal testing, so why not cut it out?
carlthetraveler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Singapore is an exotic Island with many tourist attractions. Travelers from all around the world love visiting Singapore. They can explore a lot of things in this beautiful Island. Singapore is integrated with wonderful shopping malls, high buildings, beaches, parks and gardens. It is a clean city. Travelers call this as "Garden city" and "Clean city". It is highly secured country out of robbers and cheaters. It was wonderful being in Singapore last month. I enjoyed a lot with my family. I enjoyed their multi cultural cuisine. Shopping was also marvelous in Singapore.

There are many reasons that Singapore attracts many travelers. It is a very calm and cool city. Travelers have no fear or no inconvenience being in Singapore. It is a well organized and developed country in the South East Asia. I would like to share my travel experience to the best tourist spots in Singapore here. I have visited many tourist attractions, shopping malls and theme parks etc. I feel these are the wonderful tourist spots I ever visited in Singapore.

The Orchard Road:

I had a wonderful shopping here. It has the biggest shopping mall in Singapore. The entire road filled with numerable shops and malls. It is the hub of all kind of shopping varieties starting from clothes, textiles, shoes, electronic goods, furniture, decorating items, ornaments etc. It will be crowded with people during the Christmas holidays and great Singapore sales.

There is a wide collection of items which suits people of all the ages. Do not miss to go to Orchard Road.

Jurong Bird Park:

It is a bird Gallery. It is ideal for the bird researchers and people who love bird watching. It has more than 8000 birds of around 600 different spices. This park has a beautiful landscape with the tallest man made waterfalls. It provides spectacular view to our eyes.

Sentosa:

It is the popular tourist destination in Singapore. It is a fabulous Island based on the southern coast of Singapore. It has beautiful sea shores. Underwater world is based in Sentosa. Travelers need to visit underwater world to explore the captivating marine life. It provides endless enjoyment for the visitors.

Underwater world is one of the most adventurous and thrilling tropical oceanariums in Asia. It has more than 2500 marine spices. The 80 meter acrylic tunnel lead you to the amazing view of dreadful sharks, sea dragons, turtles, pink dolphins and a variety of fishes. When I entered here, I felt like swimming into the deep sea. All these spices swim next to you. It was a wonderful experience.

Night Safari:

Night safari in Singapore takes you to the jungle in the "moonlight" light illumination. You travel in the midst of the jungle into the territory of sloths, tigers and rhinoceros in the night safari. It offers a closer view to the night-time animals.

Other tourist spots like Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, museums, theater and statues are the wonderful place for your picnic. They can enjoy visiting china town, little India and Banana leaf Apolo to have an economical shopping and mouth watering cuisine.

Singapore is an ultimate tourist destination entertains all kind of travelers.
suedonim
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's unethical. http://uk.whales.org/issues/swimming-with-dolphins
jordanhenderson.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went swimming with dolphins when I went to Florida, it was an amazing experience as I love getting up close and personal with any animals but I can't help but feel guilty for it.

They have a large pool to swim in but I'm pretty sure pods of dolphins can cover hundreds of miles a day when they're swimming out at sea! But then they also really love human interaction so it's a hard call to make.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jordanhenderson.)
I went swimming with dolphins when I went to Florida, it was an amazing experience as I love getting up close and personal with any animals but I can't help but feel guilty for it.

They have a large pool to swim in but I'm pretty sure pods of dolphins can cover hundreds of miles a day when they're swimming out at sea! But then they also really love human interaction so it's a hard call to make.
I'm swimming with Orcas this summer
PurpleGhost25175
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jumblehunter)
Hey everyone.

I'm going travelling this summer, and will be stopping in Singapore for a few days on my way home. I'm currently researching what there is to do in Singapore, and when looking at Sentosa Island, I saw that they have some kind of dolphin park where you can swim with captive dolphins.

Is this a moral thing to do? I mean, are the dolphins likely to be happy in captivity, in the way that my dog is pretty happy in captivity, or is the practice of keeping dolphins in captivity unethical?

I'm not usually the type to put a whole lot by ethics - I don't fuss over whether my food is fair trade, or whether my shampoo was developed with animal testing ect. But I do think that if I thought the dolphins were unhappily kept in captivity just for the tourism then it would detract from the overall experience enough that I wouldn't want to do it.

What are your thoughts guys?
I just realised this. If you ever go into a supermarket and you are buying products like hand wash, there's always a leaping bunny symbol on the back. It means that the product wasn't tested on animals. I don't know how much product have the leaping bunny symbol but Salisbury's own branded hand wash have the leaping bunny symbol.
jimmycartwright
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you should watch the documentary 'Blackfish.' I'm half certain that will make your mind up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (48)
31.37%
No (79)
51.63%
Don't know (26)
16.99%

Watched Threads