Where is the best university for Illustration BA in UK? Watch

nobodies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm student from overseas, sorry for my bad english

I want to study Illustration. there are no specific illustration course in my country.

Anyway, I was thinking I really want to join Kingston Illustration & Animation,
Camberwell Illustration, and Brighton Illustration for BA.

Because everybody saids Kingston is best university for Illustration and camberwell and brighton are also awesome. Everybody in my country saids that.

But reason why asking this, is because someone just said Kingston and other university is just famous in my country. UK people's think is different.

I was confused after what he said. I'm not from UK so I don't know.

Where is the best university for Illustration do you guys think???

I wonder kingston is good university for illustration.
treemoon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! It's good for Illustration because of where it is.. If it's in London, theres going to be a hype about the course because you are living in London *Very over-over hyped* So thats why its a "good" course. Camberwell is the same as it's in London, therefore its got unnecessary hype! Brighton.. tbh im not sure of the course, but now that brighton has the hype for being a good art uni, any course for art that they do will be popular as a choice, therefore making it high in the rankings. Basically these Universities are down to the "Hype" that people put onto them and location, just think like have these unis actually turned out any award winning artists in the last few years? From living in London for a degree, personally it was a terrible desicion, I was drawn in by everyone making out that if you dont go to a uni in london, then you arnt going to do well! *what a load of ****..* Theres tones of great Illustration courses in the UK, however they don't get looked at because they arn't in London! Hope this helps!
nobodies
Rep:
?
(Original post by treemoon)
Hi! It's good for Illustration because of where it is.. If it's in London, theres going to be a hype about the course because you are living in London *Very over-over hyped* So thats why its a "good" course. Camberwell is the same as it's in London, therefore its got unnecessary hype! Brighton.. tbh im not sure of the course, but now that brighton has the hype for being a good art uni, any course for art that they do will be popular as a choice, therefore making it high in the rankings. Basically these Universities are down to the "Hype" that people put onto them and location, just think like have these unis actually turned out any award winning artists in the last few years? From living in London for a degree, personally it was a terrible desicion, I was drawn in by everyone making out that if you dont go to a uni in london, then you arnt going to do well! *what a load of ****..* Theres tones of great Illustration courses in the UK, however they don't get looked at because they arn't in London! Hope this helps!

Yes thanks for reply. I'm looking for falmouth and loughborough too. Its hard to make a decision as international student.

But what I want to know is, in my country, Everybody think Kingston and Camberwell is the best university for illustration.

And I want to know UK people think same if it is over hyped or not. I mean, universally.

Thanks for reply anyway. sorry my english sucks
username1553267
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nobodies)
Hi, I'm student from overseas, sorry for my bad english

I want to study Illustration. there are no specific illustration course in my country.

Anyway, I was thinking I really want to join Kingston Illustration & Animation,
Camberwell Illustration, and Brighton Illustration for BA.

Because everybody saids Kingston is best university for Illustration and camberwell and brighton are also awesome. Everybody in my country saids that.

But reason why asking this, is because someone just said Kingston and other university is just famous in my country. UK people's think is different.

I was confused after what he said. I'm not from UK so I don't know.

Where is the best university for Illustration do you guys think???

I wonder kingston is good university for illustration.
It seems Brighton might be best for Illustration from what I hear from staff and classmates. The area is good and their current students seem to like it.

Camberwell is part of UAL and if you get a degree from them it sounds good. There is little teaching in Camberwell, they make you work on your own. There are many international students there. The area is not very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1553267
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And also I've not heard much about Kingston at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
natar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Falmouth is probably the best; though a lot of people apply there, so you might have a lot of competition. I've looked around Bournemouth and Bristol, and they seem pretty good.
I studied BA Illustration at Lincoln Uni, and it was BRILLIANT. Great tutors and a great course. I'd highly recommend it- and it's a lovely city. People from my course have gone on to be freelance illustrators, art agents and editors for publication houses...and that's within a year of finishing the course.
I know nothing about Kingston but always associate with the fashion-end/editorial illustrations. Personally, I'd avoid the London based ones.
nobodies
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lyuz)
And also I've not heard much about Kingston at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is kind of shock to me

Everyone of my country think kingston is best illustration university....

and ive got offer from kingston and camberwell now I'm confused

I don't know which one I have to believe
FloraMilner
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
I applied to Brighton and Camberwell for BA Illustration - and I am fortunate enough to have been accepted by both despite not having a foundation course (however this is very rare as Camberwell and Brighton are very prestigious universities). I can say that if you have been offered a place at Camberwell you should definitely TAKE IT. They have an enormous success rate with amazing alumni. Notified artist Grayson Perry has also just become chancellor of the UAL which shows the kind of attention it attracts. Being a London based university you do get less time with your tutors, but if you are fine with being more independent in your studies then Camberwell is the best for Illustration in the UK. Being in London will also give you an amazing experience in terms of the galleries including the V&A, the National Portrait gallery, and the Tate Britain (all of which are amazing and you would not be able to access if you studied elsewhere). I haven't heard much about Kingston. I hope this helps. Well done on your offer from Camberwell!
FloraMilner
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, Camberwell is a very forward thinking modern university (unlike Edinburgh despite it's reputation) and the Tutors I met were very helpful and seemed like great teachers, I can't stress how hard it is to get on the illustration course at Camberwell (several of my friends were rejected from them) - it really would be a shame if you missed this opportunity seen as though they have offered you a place.
eei
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check the students' work and make up your mind. If I was doing illustration, I'd definitely go for Camberwell, but it's a personal preference.
I actually have a Kingston's degree show book from last year on my coffee table and the work is also impressive.
eei
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, and from what I heard from former students, Camberwell is good for collaborative projects. I think it's a good way to get prepared for the way the industry works.
jessicaharker51
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by natar)
Falmouth is probably the best; though a lot of people apply there, so you might have a lot of competition. I've looked around Bournemouth and Bristol, and they seem pretty good.
I studied BA Illustration at Lincoln Uni, and it was BRILLIANT. Great tutors and a great course. I'd highly recommend it- and it's a lovely city. People from my course have gone on to be freelance illustrators, art agents and editors for publication houses...and that's within a year of finishing the course.
I know nothing about Kingston but always associate with the fashion-end/editorial illustrations. Personally, I'd avoid the London based ones.
Hi, what did your course include? Im looking for an illustration course that is mainly print based not 3D animation/sculpture etc. What was your course at Lincoln like? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads