"Doing the right thing will never cause suffering". Watch

#aspiring
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Discuss this statement. You should include different viewpoints and refer to Christianity. - Any help will be hugely appreciated, cheers
Arkasia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on whether you are a moral realist, a moral relativist, or just don't believe in any form of morality whatsoever. Depends how you define 'the right thing', and whose suffering you are taking into account.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously rubbish. The right thing for Jesus Christ to do, according to Christianity, was to be humiliated, tortured and crucified until dead, which probably involved a fair measure of suffering for him and his followers.
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Deploy a nuclear bomb in let's say Japan for reference sake to save your country but your family are in Japan. The right thing to do is to save your country but you'll be suffering for forever as a result.
Rooster523
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A child needs a vaccination. Stabbing child with needle will cause suffering. Vaccinating the child is still the right thing to do.

The statement is pretty suspect, especially considering the amount of suffering Jesus himself endured.
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do your own homework kid.
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
Deploy a nuclear bomb in let's say Japan for reference sake to save your country but your family are in Japan. The right thing to do is to save your country but you'll be suffering for forever as a result.
One needs to set the debate at a more fundamental point of discussion, which includes defining what one might perceive to be right. Indeed, a nuclear bomb could 'save' your country, but one must acknowledge other potential solutions that could also provide a remedy. There are also numerous types of right, 'morally' right for one is very much a social construct. One need only to look upon the events that facilitated the outbreak of the Second World War. Hitler appeared to be a natural aggressor and it could be argued that Britain and France should have been more forceful in their approach. However, the policy of appeasement while not perhaps in the best interests of the countries such as Poland, allowed Britain and France to prepare a war that they had not anticipated could break out. Moreover, one would never had envisaged Britain working with Communist Russia during the Second World War, inevitably it led to the outbreak of the Cold War, but it was 'right' to do so to ensure success. This begs the question of 'doing something may be right in the short-term, but what of long-term implications?' Ultimately, many may wish to act because it is deemed to be just, but one would have to examine whether other's interests take priority over their own.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed