Advice on going for second choice University vs taking a gap year and reapplyingWatch
I applied for Physics and Philosophy this year at St. Andrews and Bristol with a prediction of 3 A*s (Maths, Physics, History). St. Andrews was my first choice, but they rejected me on the basis of a weak personal statement, whereas Bristol gave me an offer of AAA.
I want to take a gap year and reapply next year with a (hopefully) stronger Personal Statement, but I'm slightly worried that I'm not on course to get grades as good as those I was predicted.
So some questions and advice:
1) Can I accept the offer from Bristol, wait until I see what my results are, and if then if they're good enough, reject Bristol's offer and reapply with my grades next year?
2) Would doing this change the likelihood of me getting an offer from Bristol next year?
3) Would dropping out of the UCAS process altogether now, and reapplying next year affect my chances of getting an offer from either University?
Overall, I just want to know whether I should drop out of UCAS now, and hope that my results are good enough this summer that I have a decent shot at St. Andrews, or whether I should wait until results come out bfore making a decision (if possible)
Thanks For the Help
Unless you are flthy rich go to Bristol.
There are 700 new beds becoming available next year (2015/16) in accommodation currently being built. While they will probably be quite expensive, being new and shiny, they should reduce the pressure on the rest of the accommodation a bit.