The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Footballers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
Watch Rooney live and then say he's overrated. I've seen Rooney and Ronaldo live a few times and, whilst Ronaldo is different class, it's fair that Rooney can claim to boast some similar technical abilities.

Rooney has great attributes technically and I always used to be scared of him when Chelsea played United. But he's not a great short passer, not the fastest on the ball and his dribbling in tight spaces is good but not spectacular. What I see is a guy with a lot of technique and work rate but lacking that extra bit of physicality to really utilise his full strengths.

The Rooney of 09-10 e.g. would be the kinda guy who you'd compare as being close to Messi/Ronaldo and people still think he's at that level.
Original post by jam277
Different players. Only reason why they're compared is because they're English midfielders with a lot of technical ability. In terms of technical ability(Scholes>Gerrard>Lampard), in terms of overall influence(Gerrard>Lampard>Scholes). Gerrard from 04-09 was an absolute monster.

Scholes was the better technical player and all round player but Gerrard and Lampard made up for it with their goals/assisting ability which trumped Scholes. Completely different players to play against.

What I'd say is that Scholes was a better deep lying playmaker than those two when they played there for their clubs, which is where Scholes got his recognition as the quality player he is seen as today, while those two got their recognition from playing much higher up the pitch.

Think your under-estimating him a little bit in the influence side though, Scholes silently pulled all the strings for us. You said yourself that he played while an average midfield for years, but we still won many trophies with him. After he left us our midfield turned bad. If not for the form of Carrick and for SAF we'd have been in the situation we're in now with midfield. Don't believe Gerrard was more of an influence if he can't even win the PL.
Both benteke and lukaku are pretty overrated tbh. Don't get me wrong not bad strikers by any means but definitely not good enough to grace one of Europes top clubs (current hierarchy). Plenty of better strikers with more desire and all round game
Original post by Dirtybit
Think your under-estimating him a little bit in the influence side though, Scholes silently pulled all the strings for us. You said yourself that he played while an average midfield for years, but we still won many trophies with him. After he left us our midfield turned bad. If not for the form of Carrick and for SAF we'd have been in the situation we're in now with midfield. Don't believe Gerrard was more of an influence if he can't even win the PL.

Like I said, Scholes was the better deep lying playmaker, hence why he was so good at pulling the strings. Gerrard and Lamps have different qualities to Scholes(i.e. direct goal threat and better finishing in particular Lampard)

Gerrard won a CL for his club and took the team to another CL final during his peak from 05-09 so using the lack of a PL title doesn't really apply to him, especially as he was the clubs best player during that period while Scholes was probably behind 3 other players.

Also Scholes didn't play with an average midfield in his prime. He played with a good midfield. Hargreaves, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher(in his prime) in 08 e.g. and played with Keane before that.
Nobody rates Lukaku at this moment in time and he's on track to breaking the leagues goalscoring record if he stays in the prem. Has got double figures for 2 years in a row in the league and is on track for a 20 goal season this year.
Original post by jam277
Nobody rates Lukaku at this moment in time and he's on track to breaking the leagues goalscoring record if he stays in the prem. Has got double figures for 2 years in a row in the league and is on track for a 20 goal season this year.

Offside too much and not got enough variety in his game to play for anyone above 6-8th tbh. Everton is his level really when they play to their proper potential. I like how he makes runs a lot and stuff but he isn't that clever, give me a player like tevez any day of the week workrate desire quality and a brilliant finisher
Benteke isn't overrated. He's had basically no service whatsoever all season and a bad injury to come back from.

Look at the goals he scores, overhead kicks, long range shots with both feet, dribbles, leaping headers, diving headers... then the assists as well. He scores goals only the great strikers can score.

He just needs to play in a side that creates under a manager that can motivate and he will do the rest.
Casillas - absolute rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilfred Little
Benteke isn't overrated. He's had basically no service whatsoever all season and a bad injury to come back from.

Look at the goals he scores, overhead kicks, long range shots with both feet, dribbles, leaping headers, diving headers... then the assists as well. He scores goals only the great strikers can score.

He just needs to play in a side that creates under a manager that can motivate and he will do the rest.

I understand he can score some brilliant goals but I just think he doesn't do the basics well enough for me. He has had a bad injury yes and the service was pretty darn terrible but from what I have seen this season had he been in a better position he would have had a lot more goals. He also misses quite a few "easy" chances. I personally think villa would do better with a more mobile striker up top, for example someone like remy who can work in tandem with Sinclair/Nzogbia/gabby/Gil or play in a front 2. More movement all round and a better goal threat (probably)
Original post by jam277
Rooney has great attributes technically and I always used to be scared of him when Chelsea played United. But he's not a great short passer, not the fastest on the ball and his dribbling in tight spaces is good but not spectacular. What I see is a guy with a lot of technique and work rate but lacking that extra bit of physicality to really utilise his full strengths.

The Rooney of 09-10 e.g. would be the kinda guy who you'd compare as being close to Messi/Ronaldo and people still think he's at that level.

Yeah that's fair tbh. He's lost pace and is fairly incapable of running behind. Had another world class season in 11-12 but feel sorry for the guy considering we've had a **** midfield throughout his prime which has forced him to drop deep and move away from the danger areas. His work rate is incredible though man.
Don't know if anyone's mentioned Benzema already. Guy's been at Madrid for years and only had a 20+ goals season once.

Original post by ThePremierLeague
Casillas - absolute rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nobody rates him anymore tbf.
Original post by Dirtybit
Don't know if anyone's mentioned Benzema already. Guy's been at Madrid for years and only had a 20+ goals season once.

Nobody rates him anymore tbf.

Tbf to Benzema he doesn't take pens and he also was being rotated with Higuain.
Original post by TornadoGR4
To get the ball rolling, I'll put Ibrahimovic out there. Granted, he's a brilliant player, and he scored that stunning goal against England. But I just get bored of hearing about his antics and this #DareToZlatan nonsense.

And to a lesser extent, Januzaj, but I put this down to not being nurtured properly by Van Gaal & not fitting their system very well.

I think that Aston Villa need the input from the a new chairman, I'd recommend Jonklenicklenackers from the Earl of BarackObamasby.
Original post by jam277
Tbf to Benzema he doesn't take pens and he also was being rotated with Higuain.

He's not WC though. Just has moments of brilliance.
would we all agree that Chelsea's team are full of wet little divers who cheat under their lord and savior, the real master of failure Jose Mourinho
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by jam277

The Lukaku sale was worse than the Sturridge sale imo.
Original post by samba
The Lukaku sale was worse than the Sturridge sale imo.

Na. We got a good amount of money for Lukaku at least, we sold Sturridge for at least half his value all things considered so we could accommodate Torres playing for us. We got Costa instead of Lukaku, but we persisted with Torres and bought Ba instead of playing sturridge which held us back for 18 months.

Shouldn't have sold either though, or put buy back clauses/sell on clauses on both players.
Reply 97
Original post by jam277
Na. We got a good amount of money for Lukaku at least, we sold Sturridge for at least half his value all things considered so we could accommodate Torres playing for us.

Shouldn't have sold either though, or put buy back clauses/sell on clauses on both players.

You bought Lukaku for 17M though + a 15% sell on though, so probably made about the same profit on each?

But yea, buy back clauses seem pretty rare these days for some reason.
Original post by samba
You bought Lukaku for 17M though + a 15% sell on though, so probably made about the same profit on each?

Was there ever a time when they were popular? The problem with them for most clubs is the future determination of price so that the club you buys the player cannot sell the player for whatever they want. So if they rise massively in value then they still have to sell to that club at the lower price.

Plus there is also the fact that clubs don't like selling their best players to teams in the same league so Liverpool and Everton in these cases wouldn't want to have to sell back to Chelsea if the players were a success.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush

Plus there is also the fact that clubs don't like selling their best players to teams in the same league so Liverpool and Everton in these cases wouldn't want to have to sell back to Chelsea if the players were a success.

In that case you raise the price you sell them for.
Original post by samba

Good point. Always thought it was 18M straight.

Quick Reply

Latest