French A
ICT A
economics B
English lang B
English lit B
Maths, economics
And then do whatever
Advisable options would be
Further maths (if you plan to study economics)
Physics
Essay based subject
Do what you're good at though, probably don't do english lit or Lang, not sure about how similar a level economics is to gcse economics check that out
Original post by youreanutter
My predicted grades are
Maths A*
Statistics A
Core science A
Additional science A
French A
ICT A
economics B
English lang B
English lit B

Definitely Maths. Economics and Further Maths are desirable. And then any other subject that you like (as long as they're 'strong' subjects) - e.g. a science, history, english or a language?
Original post by strawberrysnow
Definitely Maths. Economics and Further Maths are desirable. And then any other subject that you like (as long as they're 'strong' subjects) - e.g. a science, history, english or a language?

You guys are ridiculous. No one chooses A-levels for banking. No. One.

OP find a degree you WANT to do and choose your subjects accordingly. Worry about the IB stuff when you are at uni.

Original post by Crystalz
Maths, economics
And then do whatever
Physics
Essay based subject
Do what you're good at though, probably don't do english lit or Lang, not sure about how similar a level economics is to gcse economics check that out
My predicted grades are
Maths A*
Statistics A
Core science A
Additional science A
French A
ICT A
economics B
English lang B
English lit B

Economics, maths, further maths and a science or two.

Chemistry on top of economics, maths and further maths would show a real ability in my opinion.

Perhaps try further additional maths as well.
Original post by Princepieman

OP find a degree you WANT to do and choose your subjects accordingly. Worry about the IB stuff when you are at uni.

We're just trying to give advice... and tbh most banking professions are mathematical and require an A Level in Maths.
Reply 6
Lol this guy just posted same post for medicine. I'll let him be your doctor.
thanks everyone for replies

Maths, economics
And then do whatever
Physics
Essay based subject

im tossing between chemistry and phsyics as my third whilst choosing either further maths/computing/ psychology as the fourth(which i will drop)
Reply 8
If I were you I would choose:
Maths and maybe further maths
economics
business

Well he has to choose SOME a levels so he may as well choose banking related a levels ?

thanks everyone for replies

im tossing between chemistry and phsyics as my third whilst choosing either further maths/computing/ psychology as the fourth(which i will drop)

Computing, no no no

Computing, no no no

haha why no no why are people so against it
Well he has to choose SOME a levels so he may as well choose banking related a levels ?

Computing, no no no

There are no "banking" related A-levels, they should choose subjects that would lead on to a degree they like - do you honestly think banks care about your A-level subjects?

And why the crap are you saying "no no no" for computing? It's a great subject and very respected by unis. Whereas ICT isn't.

Original post by strawberrysnow
We're just trying to give advice... and tbh most banking professions are mathematical and require an A Level in Maths.

Not true.. You don't need an A-level in maths to do banking..

Again, you can go into banking with any degree - choosing subjects (like business)because they are somehow relevant to banking is a ridiculous idea. If they are considering medicine as well, it's better to choose the subjects they WANT to do and that are relevant to the degree they WANT to study.

So, find a few degrees you are interested in, look at entry reqs and then base your decision on that. NONE of these A-level subjects will give you a supposed better chance at IB. I repeat: NONE.

Personally, I'd reccomend Maths not because of IB but because its a really versatile subject. The rest are up to you. But don't take business and economics together - unis don't tend to like that.

Good respected subjects for most degrees are: History, Economics, a language, Computing/Computer Science, Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology.
There are no "banking" related A-levels, they should choose subjects that would lead on to a degree they like - do you honestly think banks care about your A-level subjects?

And why the crap are you saying "no no no" for computing? It's a great subject and very respected by unis. Whereas ICT isn't.

Not true.. You don't need an A-level in maths to do banking..

Again, you can go into banking with any degree - choosing subjects (like business)because they are somehow relevant to banking is a ridiculous idea. If they are considering medicine as well, it's better to choose the subjects they WANT to do and that are relevant to the degree they WANT to study.

So, find a few degrees you are interested in, look at entry reqs and then base your decision on that. NONE of these A-level subjects will give you a supposed better chance at IB. I repeat: NONE.

Personally, I'd reccomend Maths not because of IB but because its a really versatile subject. The rest are up to you. But don't take business and economics together - unis don't tend to like that.

Good respected subjects for most degrees are: History, Economics, a language, Computing/Computer Science, Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology.

Computing isn't a facilitating subject it isn't as respected as the others, there's no need to be rude you can just say I disagree.

if you want to do banking shouldn't you have an interest in maths. I agree do what you're interested in and good at but im guessing if he wants to do banking he's interested in maths
(edited 9 years ago)
Computing isn't a facilitating subject it isn't as respected as the others, there's no need to be rude you can just say I disagree.

if you want to do banking shouldn't you have an interest in maths. I agree do what you're interested in and good at but im guessing if he wants to do banking he's interested in maths

The current Computing specifications aren't facilitating unless you want to do Computer Science at Uni, really watered down and ICT-based. The new A-Level in Computer Science (which starts June 2016 so next years students) however has been developed to be facilitating.

Computing (current) - Respected but not necessarily facilitating excluding Computer Science students

Computer Science (from 2015) - Facilitating and considered a Science (amongst Biology, Chemistry and Physics)

ICT - Just no

No, you need to be numerate (I.e. you can do GCSE maths) but not exceptionally mathematical. This is true for only banking and some vanilla trading desks. Quants, derivates traders and algo traders need a very quantitative degree to stand a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending