The Student Room Group

AQA Physics: PHYA1 Tuesday 19th May 2015 (AM) and PHYA2 Thursday 04th June 2015 (PM)x

Scroll to see replies

Its the thermistor temperature sensor 6 marker right..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Original post by the_german_boy

Thankyou!!:rolleyes:
Reply 182
Original post by Anon_98
Its the thermistor temperature sensor 6 marker right..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's it the thermistor question :smile:
Original post by A*da*m
Yeah that's it the thermistor question :smile:

Haha okay, I dont know if this is from the mark scheme but I basically just copied what my teacher had put on the board lol:

The thermistor is placed in a water bath with crushed ice and a thermometer. R is needed to form a potential divider circuit(so V will vary).

Add crushed ice to a small quantity of water until the thermometer reads 0C.

Record V.

Heat the water/ice mixture and record V at 10C, 20C, 30C........ 100C

Stir the mixture before readings are taken.

That's all I've got- I think I may have forgotten to copy the rest, oh gosh- not overly helpful.😂Sorry, hope it helps anyway.. If not then I'm sure someone else will provide you with a better model soon. :smile:

Oh and btw 67/70 is awesome, that's like so great- you must be incredibly pleased haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
a lot of people are saying that there could be a 6 marker on oscilliscopes, could anyone send an example of how they would answer a 6 mark oscilliscope question please, thanks:smile:
Original post by Anon_98
Haha okay, I dont know if this is from the mark scheme but I basically just copied what my teacher had put on the board lol:

The thermistor is placed in a water bath with crushed ice and a thermometer. R is needed to form a potential divider circuit(so V will vary).

Record V.

That's all I've got- I think I may have forgotten to copy the rest, oh gosh- not overly helpful.������Sorry, hope it helps anyway.. If not then I'm sure someone else will provide you with a better model soon. :smile:

Oh and btw 67/70 is awesome, that's like so great- you must be incredibly pleased haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol I dont like the idea of using ice, sounds a bit naf.

You could just gradually heat the water bath and take readings, as opposed to heating to 80 degrees, then adding ice to get it to 70 degrees C and so.
Tbh 2014 was my favourite paper ever. No question on circuit calculation and six marker was thermostat for like third or fourth time. Mercury vapour stuff is pretty standard too. And I love manipulating equation to prove something which was about the power stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR-addict

You could just gradually heat the water bath and take readings, as opposed to heating to 80 degrees, then adding ice to get it to 70 degrees C and so.

Haha, Hm... I guess you could- I missed the question tbh so this model was the only kinda other option. I apologise on my Physics teacher's behalf lol,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Tbh 2014 was my favourite paper ever. No question on circuit calculation and six marker was thermostat for like third or fourth time. Mercury vapour stuff is pretty standard too. And I love manipulating equation to prove something which was about the power stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just did that paper, got 59/70, but no idea on the 6 marker.. I like when there are a lot of particles questions on a paper, so easy! Could you explain the importance of having the resistor R in the circuit on the 6 marker?
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loll, I hated THE MERCURY QUESTION!! Had absolutely no idea what they wanted me to write on excitation/whatever haha..but its great you found it that way. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boyyo
a lot of people are saying that there could be a 6 marker on oscilliscopes, could anyone send an example of how they would answer a 6 mark oscilliscope question please, thanks:smile:

This got me 6 marks for an oscilloscope question

(it's the one from the May 2012 paper)

Connect the AC supply to an oscilloscope, turning the y-gain on and the timebase off. Set the volts per division to a suitable value. A vertical line should be seen in the centre of the screen - calculate the distance from the top to the bottom of the line in volts to obtain the peak-to-peak voltage. Halve this to obtain Vo, the peak voltage. Calculate Vrms as Vrms=Vo/sqrt(2) .

Now switch on both y-gain and time base. Set the time division to an appropriate value until at least one complete wave cycle is seen. Calculate the horizontal distance across one wave cycle, and convert this value into seconds to obtain T, the time period. Calculate the frequency, f as f=1/T.

How close the values obtained are to the given value determines the accuracy.

Good luck with your exams!
Reply 191
Original post by Anon_98

Record V.

That's all I've got- I think I may have forgotten to copy the rest, oh gosh- not overly helpful.😂Sorry, hope it helps anyway.. If not then I'm sure someone else will provide you with a better model soon. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah I sort of got most of that already, but thanks anyway. I wasn't sure why the resistor R was important? It doesn't really matter, there's like no chance that the same six marker will appear, but I just thought a similar one might. The way they asked the six marker last year makes me think that they will make us think more about the theory involved again, considering they said to include things like 'why is the resistor r necessary' and 'how would you then find the temperature of a room with the thermistor.'

Oh and yeah thanks, I was EXTREMELY happy with it :smile:, though I was surprised. I found it quite hard when I was doing it but I was quite lucky I think because it involved so much maths and not so much theory. Shame it wasn't this years paper :wink:
Original post by mickel_w
Just did that paper, got 59/70, but no idea on the 6 marker.. I like when there are a lot of particles questions on a paper, so easy! Could you explain the importance of having the resistor R in the circuit on the 6 marker?

R is working as potential divider so that you can get a full range of voltage across the thermostor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by TSR-addict

Surprisingly they did talk about ice in the mark scheme, though i think it was to get the water down to a temperature of 0 degrees and then heat using a bunsen burner (rather than using it to cool it down)
Original post by A*da*m
Surprisingly they did talk about ice in the mark scheme, though i think it was to get the water down to a temperature of 0 degrees and then heat using a bunsen burner (rather than using it to cool it down)

When we did the practical we started from 100 and down to about 18 so I did from hot to cold as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by mickel_w

I did it earlier and got 59 too! Yeah I love particle questions, I don't mind quantum questions, except on excitation and stuff and the mark scheme is so specific on the answers. Electricity the calculations I'm normally fine with (except that really hard question on the January 2013 paper) but the theory is hard.

How did you do on question five of that paper, the one on power and internal resistance?

And yeah, I would also appreciate it if someone could explain the importance of the resistor in the circuit. Is it something to do with not letting too much current through the thermistor so that when its resistance is low the high current will be dangerous? Or is it a control as its resistance won't change?
Original post by A*da*m
Thanks, yeah I sort of got most of that already, but thanks anyway. I wasn't sure why the resistor R was important? It doesn't really matter, there's like no chance that the same six marker will appear, but I just thought a similar one might. The way they asked the six marker last year makes me think that they will make us think more about the theory involved again, considering they said to include things like 'why is the resistor r necessary' and 'how would you then find the temperature of a room with the thermistor.'

Oh and yeah thanks, I was EXTREMELY happy with it :smile:, though I was surprised. I found it quite hard when I was doing it but I was quite lucky I think because it involved so much maths and not so much theory. Shame it wasn't this years paper :wink:

Ah yeah that's okay lol, I didn't help much. :smile: Yeah- oh gosh, maybe. Oh I really hope not haha! Though there probably will be more electricity/calculation questions maybe due to the fact there wasn't much last year..I have no idea.

Wooh!- you're welcome! Lol, I can imagine!! Nah, dont give credit to luck...your just AMAZING AT PHYSICS- Bahahah, Im not even joking. -Personally those kinda marks are goals. Yeah aw, well hopefully this years paper will produce the same outcome. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a topic that has never been a 6 marker and so may come up for us?
Original post by A*da*m
I did it earlier and got 59 too! Yeah I love particle questions, I don't mind quantum questions, except on excitation and stuff and the mark scheme is so specific on the answers. Electricity the calculations I'm normally fine with (except that really hard question on the January 2013 paper) but the theory is hard.

How did you do on question five of that paper, the one on power and internal resistance?

And yeah, I would also appreciate it if someone could explain the importance of the resistor in the circuit. Is it something to do with not letting too much current through the thermistor so that when its resistance is low the high current will be dangerous? Or is it a control as its resistance won't change?

The R acts as a potential divider so that full range of voltage can be measured across the thermistor

I agree with quantum mark scheme being a bitch lol

And that Jan 2013 paper with PD across parallel branch...nnobody could do that in my class lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GrandMasti
Is there a topic that has never been a 6 marker and so may come up for us?

Internal resistance but it was our ISA so highly unlikely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending