Traffic light cameras? how far can they see?

Watch
Microphone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For TL;DR just read the bold part

So I was driving this evening on a quiet road doing the speed limit of about 30 with a car quite close behind me for a while and was approaching a traffic light which was green for some time. as soon as I approached it, it turned yellow & i could see there were only one other car waiting to for their lights to change so I decided it was safe to slightly run the red light & get past without stopping harshly before their's changed.(i know I should have stopped but it happens)

anyway, so there were some flashes at my car, I'm not sure if it was the other cars flashing their headlights at me or me getting a traffic ticket! I mean I definitely saw the speed cameras so I was doing the correct speed, but

how far can traffic light cameras see you?

In the image you can see where the camera is(quite blurry, the yellow box on the far left of the screen, above the silver car) and where my car was flashed (way after the lights, a car length in front of the black car crossing the road!)

or is there some sort of hidden camera I couldn't see!

thanks
Attached files
Bishoy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not all cameras are speed cameras. There are some traffic cameras and they are the only ones that will flash for a long distance really (a picture of them is attached)
If it was a traffic ticket, you should find out shortly through the post. If you don't then probably someone was just flashing you (getting lairy lol). In worst case scenario, if you get a ticket you can just appeal. You can say that you couldn't brake harshly because it wasn't safe to do so as there was someone close behind you..etc. as long as you didn't break the speed limit, you should be fine (I think). Safety comes first so slightly running over a red light hopefully wouldn't get you in much trouble.
Attached files
spyka
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're aimed at the stop line and that's where they'll take a picture of your car. If you were flashed past the stop line it won't be the camera (or at least, not the camera taking a picture of you). They need a picture of your car crossing the stop line and the red light showing:

WSH1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by spyka)
They're aimed at the stop line and that's where they'll take a picture of your car. If you were flashed past the stop line it won't be the camera (or at least, not the camera taking a picture of you). They need a picture of your car crossing the stop line and the red light showing:

Pretty sure that is not true at all.

Most times TWO photos are taken (hence two flashes), one to show you passing the STOP line on a red light, and a second photo taken showing you proceeding to drive through the junction.

Whilst technically going over the stop line on a red light is an offence, it'd be a bit harsh (let's suppose you had were stationary where the car is in the above photo.... after the stop line but stopped before the actual junction itself) to prosecute you for that, especially if it's in bumper to bumper traffic like the roads I used to commute to work on... this thing is very very common, thankfully there is not a RLC there though.

They ideally want to get a snap of you proceeding to drive THROUGH the junction, because then there can be no arguments of "I didn't actually go through the junction.... I just stopped after the line".

Some red light cameras actually take Three photos, one to show you approaching, one as you go past the stop line, the third as you proceed to drive through.

If the cameras only took one single photo, as shown above, you could claim you crossed the stop line to move out the way of an emergency vehicle on call (of course, totally bogus, but they don't know that and the photo doesn't prove there ISN'T an emergency vehicle behind you....)
Joeey009
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WSH1995)
Pretty sure that is not true at all.

Most times TWO photos are taken (hence two flashes), one to show you passing the STOP line on a red light, and a second photo taken showing you proceeding to drive through the junction.

Whilst technically going over the stop line on a red light is an offence, it'd be a bit harsh (let's suppose you had were stationary where the car is in the above photo.... after the stop line but stopped before the actual junction itself) to prosecute you for that, especially if it's in bumper to bumper traffic like the roads I used to commute to work on... this thing is very very common, thankfully there is not a RLC there though.

They ideally want to get a snap of you proceeding to drive THROUGH the junction, because then there can be no arguments of "I didn't actually go through the junction.... I just stopped after the line".

Some red light cameras actually take Three photos, one to show you approaching, one as you go past the stop line, the third as you proceed to drive through.

If the cameras only took one single photo, as shown above, you could claim you crossed the stop line to move out the way of an emergency vehicle on call (of course, totally bogus, but they don't know that and the photo doesn't prove there ISN'T an emergency vehicle behind you....)
The offence is complete when you pass the stop line on red.
You dont have to pass the junction.
WSH1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joeey009)
The offence is complete when you pass the stop line on red.
You dont have to pass the junction.

i'm very much aware of that, however let's say in heavy traffic you pass the stop line ( but don't actually proceed through the junction) due to backlogged traffic, and the lights have turned red, the camera flashes.

You have passed the stop line, but you'll probably be unlucky if you receive a NIP for it, as you haven't really done that much wrong (Yes you didn't stop behind the stop line, but you stopped as close to it as you could when the lights changed).

The point I was making in the other post is that the cameras normally take at least 2 (some take 3) photographs because then there can be no arguments whatsoever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads