The Student Room Group

SOAS vs. Durham LLB

Received an unconditional for both. Just having a really hard time deciding between the pros and cons. If you guys have an argument for either, I would really, really, really appreciate it to perhaps allow my brain to debate it further.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Durham is far better in prestige. The only thing that is offering any debate is whether you want a urban city uni experience or a smaller campus city uni experience.

I personally would pick Durham but I suppose I'm biased as I study law at Durham and love it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by iano101
Durham is far better in prestige. The only thing that is offering any debate is whether you want a urban city uni experience or a smaller campus city uni experience.

I personally would pick Durham but I suppose I'm biased as I study law at Durham and love it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm an international student as well, so I've got to consider that into the mix as well, the fact that U of London is more recognised internationally.
Reply 3
Yeah there is that, but Durham is more 'internationally recognised' than the likes of SOAS.

Yes, UCL, LSE and Kings are more 'internationally recognised than durham' but SOAS certainly is not. So you'd be wrong to pick SOAS over Durham if that was what you were looking at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by iano101
Yeah there is that, but Durham is more 'internationally recognised' than the likes of SOAS.

Yes, UCL, LSE and Kings are more 'internationally recognised than durham' but SOAS certainly is not. So you'd be wrong to pick SOAS over Durham if that was what you were looking at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, will look into it when making my final decision :smile:
Don't go to SOAS

Why didn't you apply for UCL or Kings for law if you like London btw?
Reply 6
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Don't go to SOAS

Why didn't you apply for UCL or Kings for law if you like London btw?

I was too late for the applications. They wouldn't consider me even though my grades were what they want

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akj.latif
I was too late for the applications. They wouldn't consider me even though my grades were what they want

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a shame, Durham is great for law though just a bit rubbish in terms of city life and night life, if you're a party girl :wink:
Reply 8
That's a shame, Durham is great for law though just a bit rubbish in terms of city life and night life, if you're a party girl :wink:

Just a tad of a party girl. But as an international student, the fact that Durham is even more foreign to me than London is what's holding me back. I don't know how to explain it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a tad of a party girl. But as an international student, the fact that Durham is even more foreign to me than London is what's holding me back. I don't know how to explain it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see, that shouldn't hold you back at all, Durham is quite small anyway but you'll get use to the town very quickly after just living there for even a few weeks. Have you been to London? London is so overrated anyway.
Reply 10
Oh I see, that shouldn't hold you back at all, Durham is quite small anyway but you'll get use to the town very quickly after just living there for even a few weeks. Have you been to London? London is so overrated anyway.

I don't want to be the outcast with the Canadian accent haha. I guess that's why I'm hesitant for a small town. I've been to London quite a bit, and am a bit more familiar with the city.
I don't want to be the outcast with the Canadian accent haha. I guess that's why I'm hesitant for a small town. I've been to London quite a bit, and am a bit more familiar with the city.

You won't be an outcast aha, no one will care about your accent either. Don't worry about the familiarity of the place there remember there will be loads of other people just starting there who will be unfamiliar with the city in the same situation as you :smile: London is massive have you actually been in the areas where SOAS is and around?
Reply 12
You won't be an outcast aha, no one will care about your accent either. Don't worry about the familiarity of the place there remember there will be loads of other people just starting there who will be unfamiliar with the city in the same situation as you :smile: London is massive have you actually been in the areas where SOAS is and around?

Fair enough haha. I guess I am thinking a bit irrationally in that sense. And yeah, the summer before I applied I looked at the area where a bunch of schools in London are. That's when I decided to study in the UK 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough haha. I guess I am thinking a bit irrationally in that sense. And yeah, the summer before I applied I looked at the area where a bunch of schools in London are. That's when I decided to study in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree you are :tongue: Nice, you could always visit durham if you're worried? I would strongly recommend visiting anyway if you're going to firm it to see if you like the university and atmosphere. I know it's difficult as an international student but it's definitely worth it

The UK is the best :smug:
Reply 14
I agree you are :tongue: Nice, you could always visit durham if you're worried? I would strongly recommend visiting anyway if you're going to firm it to see if you like the university and atmosphere. I know it's difficult as an international student but it's definitely worth it

The UK is the best :smug:

That's the annoying part haha, it costs £500 to go back and forth from the UK, so I'll have to see if it's even possible to visit Durham beforehand.

And I agree with you. I have never liked Canada. Visiting the UK confirmed that point 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the annoying part haha, it costs £500 to go back and forth from the UK, so I'll have to see if it's even possible to visit Durham beforehand.

And I agree with you. I have never liked Canada. Visiting the UK confirmed that point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's expensive, but it will be worth it, maybe when you next visit the UK for a holiday or something go up to durham, doesn't take too long especially if you fly. Very cheap tickets from london to glasgow like £50 or something.

Canada is awesome :colonhash: Although if you live in Quebec I understand your point :mmm:
Reply 16
Yeah it's expensive, but it will be worth it, maybe when you next visit the UK for a holiday or something go up to durham, doesn't take too long especially if you fly. Very cheap tickets from london to glasgow like £50 or something.

Canada is awesome :colonhash: Although if you live in Quebec I understand your point :mmm:

Don't have much time left to wait for the next time on holiday if I'd like a 2015 fall start. But I will try to arrange something perhaps in the summer. I agree it's not reasonable to choose a university without having seen it earlier.

Canada is alright. I'm from Toronto, but I actually prefer Québec. The québécois are a bit more culture rich than we are I'd say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't have much time left to wait for the next time on holiday if I'd like a 2015 fall start. But I will try to arrange something perhaps in the summer. I agree it's not reasonable to choose a university without having seen it earlier.

Canada is alright. I'm from Toronto, but I actually prefer Québec. The québécois are a bit more culture rich than we are I'd say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see, yes it is. Something I almost did last year, luckily I didn't in the end.

Never lived in Toronto so can't comment on that but Ontario and Vancouver and Vancouver island are just lovely. I would have thought Toronto being a major city would have a lot of culture
Reply 18
Ah I see, yes it is. Something I almost did last year, luckily I didn't in the end.

Never lived in Toronto so can't comment on that but Ontario and Vancouver and Vancouver island are just lovely. I would have thought Toronto being a major city would have a lot of culture

Where were you considering going and where did you go in the end?

You lived in Canada? A lot of Brits come here and like it because there's a lot of open space and big houses haha. And Toronto is very multicultural so there's no real distinct Canadian culture in my opinion. Also trying very hard to emulate NYC haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you intending to practice in the UK or go back to Canada?

Quick Reply

Latest