The Student Room Group

Did anyone else always hate clubbing?

Like as in, not just cheesy ones, but ones for cool scenes of music, in fact they are worse. I'm just intrigued by this whole issue because it's an adolescent thing where your group wants you to do it, but then it seems to translate to cool a bit older if it's a scene, but I was always put off by how cool you have to be, knowing music, people taking drugs which could be any old ****, how affected it all is that you have to be in the know about drugs etc and all so young, and how I just couldn't really get the joy from it that anyone does.

Anyhow, I'm just interested generally how many people are like me, is it th minority or majority, and am I just really boring?

I just don't see whats so cool or even fun about it.

Scroll to see replies

Clubbing's not everyone's cup of tea tbh. Some of my mates who are "popular" and "cool" don't even go clubbing lmao. I used to enjoy it personally, not about that life anymore.
No, I know, I'm just wondering how weird it makes me.
Personally, I loved it. Bit past it now, but loved it at the time! :wink:
90% of people on TSR dislike clubbing. You aren't special at all. Heck, probably the majority of students don't like clubbing. But young adults are so feeble and senseless they go along with everyone else.

I like clubbing in moderation. I go to venues which are known for being good and they aren't usually student types. I go to these clubs explicitly to dance, enjoy the magic of great DJs (not just people with playlists on repeat like in most student clubs) and revel in the chaos of it all.

Like many pleasures it can get tiresome if overdone.

I think these days though you get so many people saying "I am the only one who dislikes clubbing" its quite annoying. No one is forcing you to go. If you have a backbone try suggesting a better alternative for you and your friends.
Original post by ParadiseFound
90% of people on TSR dislike clubbing. You aren't special at all. Heck, probably the majority of students don't like clubbing. But young adults are so feeble and senseless they go along with everyone else.

I like clubbing in moderation. I go to venues which are known for being good and they aren't usually student types. I go to these clubs explicitly to dance, enjoy the magic of great DJs (not just people with playlists on repeat like in most student clubs) and revel in the chaos of it all.

Like many pleasures it can get tiresome if overdone.

I think these days though you get so many people saying "I am the only one who dislikes clubbing" its quite annoying. No one is forcing you to go. If you have a backbone try suggesting a better alternative for you and your friends.

No, I never did what other people wanted, I did what I liked, I'm older. But like you say loads of people conform when young. I'm just curious in retrospect. It seems pretty dumb, a lot of it, even adolescent, and buying drugs which htf can you know what's in there, trusting strangers etc_ I mean wtf?

What about if you get no pleasure from it? Is that odd? Tbh I can enjoy some electronic music, some is classic, and I train and run to it, but I'm too introvert to ever enjoy clubs really. I think even my parents thought I was a bit square/odd.
The first time I went clubbing I hatedddd it and I remember having drunk conversations with people talking about how degrading the whole place was lol, people trying way too hard to impress the opposite sex, seeing guys on the look out for girls who were too drunk to care, was disgusting but idk the second time I had a lot of fun, music and dancing just completes me so I love that aspect of it, the downsides like weigh out the fun bits of going out for me.
I've been clubbing once. Why? Because it was pure ****ing ****e.
I hate how in the crap ones, not remotely musical, people are so either pretentious/cold, and making out they have no interest in the opposite sex, at least the girls, either that's a lie, or in the people it isn't they are obsessed with dancing and seeing it as a great time whilst never ever pulling, personally I loved going out seeing women dressed sexy, but the idea of dancing to **** as the object and not meeting a woman seems just bizarre.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
No, I never did what other people wanted, I did what I liked, I'm older. But like you say loads of people conform when young. I'm just curious in retrospect. It seems pretty dumb, a lot of it, even adolescent, and buying drugs which htf can you know what's in there, trusting strangers etc_ I mean wtf?

What about if you get no pleasure from it? Is that odd? Tbh I can enjoy some electronic music, some is classic, and I train and run to it, but I'm too introvert to ever enjoy clubs really. I think even my parents thought I was a bit square/odd.

Well it's not exactly an intellectual activity but since when did something have to be complex for it to be enjoyable ? Not that i'd say its true in this respect but Wilde once said 'simple pleasures are the last refuge of the complex'.

It's definitely an extrovert activity, and you definitely have to have a few screws loose and be very easy going and loose to enjoy it i'm not going to lie. In lots of clubs I go to you can definitely tell the types of people who actually like it and types that are living having the worse times in their life.

No it's obviously not odd if you don't get pleasure from it, you seem intelligent enough to know this yourself. I myself have never understood watching sports, and find nothing more tedious then spending some knobs kick around a ball for 80 or more minutes. I can also understand why some love chess but again I don't find it enjoyable at all. This doesn't mean anythings wrong with me. Each to their own.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I hate how in the crap ones, not remotely musical, people are so either pretentious/cold, and making out they have no interest in the opposite sex, at least the girls, either that's a lie, or in the people it isn't they are obsessed with dancing and seeing it as a great time whilst never ever pulling, personally I loved going out seeing women dressed sexy, but the idea of dancing to **** as the object and not meeting a woman seems just bizarre.

That's to do with what your after then, people go out for different reasons, some just to have a good time and some who are just interested in getting laid.. I think it's fine if your after that but it's cool if people actually respect you and don't push it towards you, I've kinda been sexually harassed on nights out and I've had offers for sex and I am not interested at alllll like why do people believe it's ok for that to happen on a night out but in general day to day life noone would ever approach you like that?
I always loved going clubbing with my friends. Get drunk and just enjoy the music and dancing badly with your mates. What's not to like?
Never really liked them myself
Can only have fun when with a load of mates and just so drunk I give 0 ****s
For me it depends entirely on the club. I'd rather sit in my room alone than go to certain clubs because I hate some of the ones I've been to. There's a couple that I love though and I go and hang out with friends and really enjoy it :tongue:
Reply 14
Never been but I have driven along a famous drinking strip but it doesn't appeal to me. Looks like it could be alright with the right crowd :smile:.
I used to have so much fun in clubs with my friends. We always used to get really drunk and dance to our heart's content, pulling on the odd occasion... We always went to places we knew we would enjoy though.

i've definitely grown out of it now, much prefer pubs and bars where I can talk to people and not have to go out in a group of around 20.
lol you don't have to be cool, take drugs or know anything. You just go there to dance and have fun.
Reply 17
I like the saucy ladies and the music sometimes but that's about it. The air reeks of desperate men most of the time.
It's not that I hate it. More that it's not something I personally would enjoy doing
I've NEVER liked clubbing. Much prefer a quiet pub where you can actually have A CONVERSATION. Clubs are just basically pick-up points.

Quick Reply

Latest