gypsy23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,
I have been given conditional offers at both York and Durham to study PPE. However I wouldn't know which one to choose if I met both conditions, which I'm hoping to do.

York has really grown on me. Having lived in a very small country, York seems quite homely, cosy and small compared to other parts of England, and I love what I have seen of the City.
The modules at York also seem very interesting, and the "Online open day" made York gain plus points for me.

However, I wouldn't want to reject Durham, with it being in the top 10 and top 5 (depending on the source) in the UK for the course. I also like the traditional aspect of gowned dinners, and the the old uni buildings as well as the college system at Durham which seems more "college-y" than the one at York. However, I can't seem to get a good idea of the City of Durham, nor of the modules, as Durham's website doesn't detail them like York, which makes me think York's modules are more interresting. It also seems bigger and less "homely" than York. I was hoping Durham would have an "Online open day" like York did to give me a better feel of the atmosphere.

Are the modules at both unis similar? Maybe York's are better as it was the first uni after Oxford to offer PPE? Do you know if Durham does "Online open days"? Which Uni would you choose and why? Could you give me an idea on the City of Durham at all?
To what extent would studying PPE at York eventually reduce my carrier options (vs Durham)? How big is the difference in reputation between the two unis?

Anything you have to say would be helpful, as I am really stuck between the two, and I'm worried about having to rank my choices on UCAS.
Zeno of Citium
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gypsy23)
Hi there,
I have been given conditional offers at both York and Durham to study PPE. However I wouldn't know which one to choose if I met both conditions, which I'm hoping to do.

York has really grown on me. Having lived in a very small country, York seems quite homely, cosy and small compared to other parts of England, and I love what I have seen of the City.
The modules at York also seem very interesting, and the "Online open day" made York gain plus points for me.

However, I wouldn't want to reject Durham, with it being in the top 10 and top 5 (depending on the source) in the UK for the course. I also like the traditional aspect of gowned dinners, and the the old uni buildings as well as the college system at Durham which seems more "college-y" than the one at York. However, I can't seem to get a good idea of the City of Durham, nor of the modules, as Durham's website doesn't detail them like York, which makes me think York's modules are more interresting. It also seems bigger and less "homely" than York. I was hoping Durham would have an "Online open day" like York did to give me a better feel of the atmosphere.

Are the modules at both unis similar? Maybe York's are better as it was the first uni after Oxford to offer PPE? Do you know if Durham does "Online open days"? Which Uni would you choose and why? Could you give me an idea on the City of Durham at all?
To what extent would studying PPE at York eventually reduce my carrier options (vs Durham)? How big is the difference in reputation between the two unis?

Anything you have to say would be helpful, as I am really stuck between the two, and I'm worried about having to rank my choices on UCAS.
Any difference in reputation between the two is negligible. They are both leading PPE courses, slotting in together behind Oxford and LSE. Durham has a very slightly better general reputation, although for no particularly good reason, besides popularity. The faculties are pretty equal. In Brian Leiter's Philosophical Gourmet Report, which, despite its defects, is extremely authoritative within Philosophy, York is ranked above Durham. York also has a decent faculty in political theory. That said, Durham has a stronger IR faculty, especially in Middle Eastern Studies. It also has David Held - although you are doubtful to much see him if you attend - who is a major name in Politics/IR.

I would say, absent you having considered interests at this point, which is pretty doubtful, choose on the basis of the cities. IMO, York is the far nicer place to live.
Flather
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As someone who applied for economics as both go to Durham, wish I had got an offer from them so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (44)
17.74%
No one else does (80)
32.26%
I'm embarrassed about my background (27)
10.89%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (84)
33.87%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.21%
I don't have a camera (5)
2.02%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.02%

Watched Threads