The Student Room Group

What, in your opinion, is the greatest medical advance of the last 200 years?

Which do you think is the greatest advancement of the last 200 years, considering both its general impact and its potential for further development in the future.
Original post by Boople
Which do you think is the greatest advancement of the last 200 years, considering both its general impact and its potential for further development in the future.

A very broad question and a favourite amongst interviewers. It doesn't really matter what you pick so long as you can justify your opinion and show that you've considered alternative viewpoints too. Here are some very important advances which come to my mind:

Vaccination - Jenner, Hilleman, Salk, the eradication of smallpox, ongoing efforts to eradicate polio

The germ theory of disease - Pasteur, Semmelweisz*, Lister

The birth of modern epidemiology - John Snow and the Broad Street pump

Anaesthesia - John Snow again, a man of many talents.

Antibiotics - Fleming, Florey, Chain

*A seriously tragic piece of medical history.

Is it really possible to isolate any of these achievements and declare one as being the "greatest"? In a way they are all linked, but I suppose in terms of reducing body count in the immediate and short term it would be antibiotics and vaccinations. Ultimately however, I think advances in public health will always provide the most long term benefits - vaccinating individuals against smallpox is all well and good, but actually coordinating efforts to eradicate it is even more beneficial!
(edited 9 years ago)
Without doubt Vaginal rejuvenation!!!
The internet.
The discovery of antibiotics by Alexander Flemming and a way to mass produce it by Howard Florey and Ernst Chain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
The advent of computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging revolutionised the practice of medicine in a dramatic fashion. Without these imaging modalities, the clinical arena of medicine would be brought to its knees and the field of radiology would not have been conceived.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Vondas
The advent of computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging revolutionised the practice of medicine in a dramatic fashion. Without these imaging modalities, the clinical arena of medicine would be brought to its knees and the field of radiology would not have been conceived.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beat me to it.

Between these two and xrays they've transformed medicine, nearly every patient admitted to hospital seems to have one or another of these. Incredibly useful and almost completely non-invasive.

But any of the above responses/advances will suffice.
Reply 7
Semmelweis, washing of the hands by medical practitioners. A little step, at the time rejected and not fully understood, went a long way in preventing deaths and the spreading of disease.
Reply 8
Original post by Swanbow
Semmelweis, washing of the hands by medical practitioners. A little step, at the time rejected and not fully understood, went a long way in preventing deaths and the spreading of disease.

He killed himself because no one took him serious and they destroyed his career right?
Reply 9
Original post by Knugs
He killed himself because no one took him serious and they destroyed his career right?

He got beaten to death in an insane asylum if I remember correctly. Some took his work seriously, but most didn't and thought that requiring a gentleman to wash his hands was an insult. Then along came germ theory and they had the scientific evidence to back up his findings.

So many great and influential people don't see any success in their life. Tragically sad, but also fascinating.
The little flappy lids on sharps bins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending