The Student Room Group

What are the basics of a relationship?

Just curious
How often should you see each other a week?
Is the anniversary the first time date or the first time your relationship becomes official?
What else should you celebrate?
How often do you go on dates or (what counts as a date,
How often should you call etc)
When should you go on a trip or a holiday together?
Reply 1
How often to see each other - can be once a day, once a week, or once a month. It doesn't matter that much.

Anniversaries are meaningless, just like birthdays. Next question.

Only thing you should be celebrating is your mutual love, respect and admiration for one another. Next one.

Go on dates as much as possible, whenever you meet. Next.

Frequency of phone calls depends on various factors - how much you have to say, how much you miss each other, how long you stay on the phone each time, how much new stuff or new developments have come up since the previous phone call, phone plans, etc.

Trip/holiday - not essential. It's an added bonus if you can organise it, but it's not necessary.
Original post by 061194
Just curious
Is the anniversary the first time date or the first time your relationship becomes official?

If you live close like within an hour at least once a week (make her feel important to you) anniversary to me is when you started seeing each other regularly and texting each other more than 3 times a week. If she isnt staying the night it isnt a relationship. I class it from the first time i said i love you. Call often make het feel like your actually interested in her life (even if you couldnt care less)
Valentine's Day is importang and christmas and some women class birthdays as important.

I dont do dates

Posted from TSR Mobile
I shall also add what not to do - DO NOT accidentally call them your exes name in a half asleep state while naked in bed... does not go down well at all...
Original post by natninja
I shall also add what not to do - DO NOT accidentally call them your exes name in a half asleep state while naked in bed... does not go down well at all...

Lol never happened to me but ive done it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 061194
Just curious

How often should you see each other? ...Every relationship is different, it all depends on how much you want to see each other. However remember, too much of anything is never good. I see my boyfriend once every 3-4 weeks (he's in uni) and our relationship is stronger than ever.

Is the anniversary the first time date or the first time your relationship becomes official? ...This is completely up to what you and your partner want to count as your anniversary.

What else should you celebrate? ...Your relationship in general. Make plans for specific date nights. Go out for a meal or stay at home and cook together. Do something different to what you usually do when you see each other :smile:

How often should you call? ...You don't necessarily have to. If you have contact with your other half on a daily basis there's not a lot you can talk about on the phone. If you do wish to have phone calls, maybe once a week would suffice? I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and we don't bother with phone calls. We do FaceTime every so often though :smile:

When should you go on a trip/holiday together? ...Absolutely whenever you want! However I think a trip/holiday is something you do when you know your relationship is long-term. But of course, every relationship is different and it's completely down to what you and your other half want to do :smile:
There's no set rule. I see my girlfriend two days out of seven because that's the amount of time life allows us to see each other (LDR).

Whatever the couple decides on.

First sex. Celebrate with more sex. Personally I think this should be celebrated weekly, but not everybody agrees. I don't know why, everyone's a winner in this situation.

I don't "date", I chill out with m'lady. Sometimes we go places, and we chill there too. Other times we might go out to eat, but we're not dating... we're eating. The purpose of us going somewhere isn't to go somewhere, it's to do something while we're there. If I take her to a restaurant, the purpose isn't for a "date"; it's to grab dinner. Maybe I've oversimplified it, Idk. Or overcomplicated it. Either way, I'm happy :h:

Again, there's no set rule. Sometimes we call once a week, sometimes thrice a week, sometimes there are weeks between calls. A relationship won't survive on rigidity alone, I'd argue that flexibility plays a more important role than strictly adhering to non-existent (as far as social protocol goes) "rules".

When you both have the money and time off work to do so. Practicality, yo!
Original post by vickie89uk
Lol never happened to me but ive done it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... I've done it too... she was not happy... the fact that it was sleeptalking makes it even worse somehow...
Original post by natninja
Yeah... I've done it too... she was not happy... the fact that it was sleeptalking makes it even worse somehow...

Oh he wasnt happy either i also say my ex name when i ask him to do something after 8 years together i still do it
Though my ex was like matt di angelo and my bf is like freddie pronze jr both handsome i don't know why i do it and it ruins the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending